Wiring a 68cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
I picked up a 68cc engine.

I know its a Chinese engine but the eagles with the missing heads molded into the grips is a bit disconcerting...

Anyway, the kit did not come with a kill switch into the throttle.

What I am hooking up for a kill switch is this...

Sooooo what do I hook up to what???

Thoroughly confused!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Connect the blue wire from the engine to the 'power' terminal' then a wire from the 'acc' terminal to the blue wire from the CDI. Disregard and isolate the third, ground, terminal. That is apparently a lighted switch and has a ground terminal for the lamp.

That's a weird switch. You could have used a 2 pole switch or better still a 2 pole, normally open, momentary (push button) switch. Nevertheless, yours will work if wired as above. Good luck.

Tom

Last edited:

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
So I was asked to post some pics of the grips that show what China really thinks of us the U.S.!!

Hmmmm...

Anyway here is the pics of the build my son and I are working on.

We picked up the stingray for 25 bucks.

Its coming along pretty good.

The exhaust and sissy bar were his idea as well as the dash board for the toggle kill switch and he wants to put a speedometer on it too.

Here are some pics of the project.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
For your son's safety, I strongly suggest you have an easily reachable kill switch.

Run away's on these engines are not uncommon and I've experienced many over the years.

1. Cable ferrule pops out of carb inlet where it lodges against side and caused throttle to remain open......I heat shrink or epoxy it in now.

2. Carb slides can be defective and the bad ones often get stuck at full throttle

3. Stuck throttle or cable...not uncommon

Having kill switch by throttle will allow rider to hold on with both hands while killing engine. BTW, teach your boy what to do if enigne runs away or won't die with kill switch engages as mine did several weeks ago....pull spark plug cable wire didn't kill engine (engine was so hot it was dieseling) and the only thing that did was engaging full choke on it.

klapool

Aug 29, 2011
Wisconsin
This is great info. I can truly understand the dieseling. I will let him read your post and make sure he understands his options for killing the engine. We will get a kill switch closer to the grip for his safety!

TAHNK YOU!!!

For your son's safety, I strongly suggest you have an easily reachable kill switch.

Run away's on these engines are not uncommon and I've experienced many over the years.

1. Cable ferrule pops out of carb inlet where it lodges against side and caused throttle to remain open......I heat shrink or epoxy it in now.

2. Carb slides can be defective and the bad ones often get stuck at full throttle

3. Stuck throttle or cable...not uncommon

Having kill switch by throttle will allow rider to hold on with both hands while killing engine. BTW, teach your boy what to do if enigne runs away or won't die with kill switch engages as mine did several weeks ago....pull spark plug cable wire didn't kill engine (engine was so hot it was dieseling) and the only thing that did was engaging full choke on it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I have a 3 pole switch I used to use for a killswitch. I am currently using it for my headlight switch. In the event of a runaway, you can always turn your choke on and pull the clutch in. I actually dont use a killswitch at all. I turn my choke on to kill my engine.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
In the event of a runaway, you can always turn your choke on and pull the clutch in. I actually dont use a killswitch at all. I turn my choke on to kill my engine.
That's easy to say, but probably a lot harder to do if the time comes. Taking a hand off the handlebars to reach at a tiny choke lever on a hot engine is likely the last thing on one's mind if they are in a stuck throttle situation. Even if it does come to mind, it's still easier said than done for most folks.

A killswitch or choke control accessible to one's hand is the way to go in the interest of safety, IMHO.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
That's easy to say, but probably a lot harder to do if the time comes. Taking a hand off the handlebars to reach at a tiny choke lever on a hot engine is likely the last thing on one's mind if they are in a stuck throttle situation. Even if it does come to mind, it's still easier said than done for most folks.

A killswitch or choke control accessible to one's hand is the way to go in the interest of safety, IMHO.
Ditto.
Reaching down between your legs, steering with one hand and watching the accident coming is a lot to handle in a few seconds. The kill switch isn't just a convenience; it's a critical safety feature that every rider should have properly installed and located.

Tom