Brake/stop light...need direction and advice!

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Hey guys,

I have a hydraulic motorcycle brake and it has two wires coming off of it. I'm assuming they are for a brake light. I would like to wire this up to a light so it lights up whenever I brake, and still have it on while I'm riding, as well.

Now, I really know nothing about electronics, so I am looking for someone to basically point me in the right direction. I would also like to have something where I am not having to constantly change or charge the battery. Just something simple, that works, doesn't cost a lot, and something I can do.

Thanks in advance guys

Mike

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
You need a dual intensity bulb (formerly dual filament). The LED bulbs out now use much less power than the old incandescents.

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
there are a few ways to approach this all pretty easy. here are some suggestions assuming the switch is just a standard n/o switch:

-get a battery powered brake light, hack the on off switch to your two wires on the
brake.

-use your white wire to power your light. I've heard you can get away without a diode, but I run one. I use a standard led marker light from auto zone, oriellies, etc. You can use an incandescent one, they are cheaper but it may be the only light you can run due to its watt use. Here is a diagram of how I did mine, you can disregard the battery, it's a nice option to have though. Without the battery, no lights if not running. I also prefer to have a running light as well for night. If you have a new magneto with only two wires, it would be more complicated.

and an idea for the light that I use.

Last edited:

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the reply guys. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am not running a 2 stroke engine. I am running a HF 79cc 4 stroke. So...no white wire.

I'm sure I could do this, but it would probably be ugly and I'd probably do a lot of things I do not need to do. That is why I came here to ask to see if anyone has a nice, clean, simple solution before I overkill! LOL

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
The simplest solution would be to use a battery pack and not worry about charging. Unless you are running a headlight off it, the charge should power LED lights for months.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks Wret!

Do you have any suggestions for the type of light I could or should use, type of battery, and how to wire? I know I probably will not need a switch since it will be activated when I pull/apply the brake lever.

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
I'd get a motorcycle brake light. LED lights are common/cheap and have the advantage of having been designed for dual intensity use.

You should be able to find an 8AA battery holder for a few bucks. You'll need to figure out where to stash it.

You'll need a switch for the running light but you could just leave the brake light active full time. You'll need a switch. You can get toggle switches at any auto parts store but handlebar switches are ridiculously cheap if you don't mind waiting for the boat from China.

The wiring is straightforward. You might want to run a double lead wire, like fine gauge speaker wire, rather than use a chassis ground. Positive into the switch and out to the lamp, negative back to the battery.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
One more question Wret...and sorry for sounding dumb...

My brake handle/lever has 2 wires coming from it...a green one and a black one. Is one a ground? How would I wire this up? I really don't care about the turn signals, but do want the running light as well as the brake light. I believe a running light is required here in the state of Florida.

And that battery pack has 2 wires coming off of it. I just get a little confused when it comes to electrical is all....

Thanks again man...

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
No problem at all.

The wires to the lever our current in and current out when the circuit is completed by actuating the lever. Doesn't matter which is which.

Here's a crude diagram.

You might want to look for a battery holder with a snap on connector to make removal easier.

Attachments

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks Wret! Does it matter that in the diagram the black wire from the light is going to the + side of the battery? I'm only asking because the black wire from the light shows it is negative. Just asking is all....

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
See? You know more about electricity than you let on! Switch the +/- symbols on the diagram. Ordinarily it wouldn't matter but LED lights only work one way.