Turbo Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Wanna race? Here's one for ya. Got this recently from Quenton. He said it's from a friend of his. I'm laid off from work since then, saw it & thought "I should post this". Hope I get to ride the finished product.

Attachments

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
if that turbo's not set up for a suck through system he may run into problems, turbo's that will see vacuum use extra rubber seals in the compressor side. a blow through system dosen't have this problem. looks cool.

Reactions: NACHO1444

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
if that turbo's not set up for a suck through system he may run into problems, turbo's that will see vacuum use extra rubber seals in the compressor side. a blow through system dosen't have this problem. looks cool.
It will work cam he's gonna have to fatten the heck out of his carb tho

Hi jbcruisin,

The Texas inovator graced us with pictures and a small article about his latest adventures with motorbike motors inside the latest edition of the Whizzer Newsletter. Thrilled to consider him a friend, always look forward to the few times each year we cross paths and need to mention he also built the Twin engine Whizzer [still unnamed] sitting in my workshop. As many already know I agreed to ride it at Bonneville in the future.
Gotta wonder what the Twin Whizzer could do if Turbo charged!

I just go crazy over the past Whizzer motors he designed & built. One of my favorites was the "Veezzer" [might be spelled wrong], a V-twin Whizzer motor. And of course the Twin Powered Bonneville Special [Thanks to Ron Dow & Terry McAllister] in my possesion certainly is at the top of my list.

BTW this month's issue of the Whizzer Newsletter has pictures of the Twin Whizzer powered ride that Ron built.

I suggest everyone subscribe to the Whizzer newsletter, cause a lot of great information each and every month.

Have fun,

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Garret makes some small turbos they have one that fits in your hand..
Yea, but what flow is it built for?

I know there's been at least a couple US-market motorcycles over the years that had turbos.... but still, you're talking about a 500-750+ cc engine, spinning at 4000-5000+ RPMs. A Whizzer motor is what, 150ccs? And sure as heck don't spin at 6000 RPMs. Who makes a turbo for a ~5hp lawnmower engine?

I'd think it would be way easier to add a blower onto a Whizzer engine than it would be to find a turbo that would really work.
~

Hi 42blue15,

I have several Whizzer motors that easily hit 7000 RPMs and one that exceeded 8200. They are running 26 MM carburetors with a 130 main jet. Stock is 22 MM carburetor with an 84 Main.

Very big numbers for a flat head 138 CC motor. We have managed to get the flat heads to run within a mile or two of the OHV versions.

It is possible to really make these motors "breathe" like never before.

I don't know what the turbo charged motor will do, but is sure is "cool" to look at and wonder the end result.

Have fun,

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
now how does that turbo oil...all the turbos ive ever dealt with have to have oil pumped to them...the ones i deal with at work have oil and coolant to them...now me and a friend got drunk in the garage, we finished that 30 pack with a mass of cans and a mazda turbo attached to an old honda motorcycle...his brother in law put in on the dyno the next week and asked why would we build a 187hp motorcycle...the only thing he could say was we were drunk...oh by the way i was scared to ride it...it lagged real bad taking off but when that thing spun up you couldnt keep the front wheel on the ground...so lessen learned...no more drinking beers with a mig welder and a mill...hahaha just kidding thats always a fun night...sorry got side tracked....ive heard of some smaller turbos being sealed units just not the 80lbs monsters i deal with at work

Last edited:

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
Hi 42blue15,

I have several Whizzer motors that easily hit 7000 RPMs and one that exceeded 8200. ...
Very big numbers for a flat head 138 CC motor. ....
It's not just a matter of RPMs.
A turbo has to be sized for a target flow rate, and that's when it delivers maximum boost.

The smallest turbo production motorcycle I can find online is the Honda CX500TC, but I cannot find specs on it online anywhere.

The Yamaha XJ 650 Turbo (made in 1982) is the next-smallest size I could find. It was a 650cc engine and its max torque was at 7000 RPMs and max HP was at 9000 RPMs. That's flow rates of 4550 and 5850 liters/min.

The flow through a 138cc engine @ 8000 RPMs is only 1104 liters/min. The XJ 650's turbo will spin, but is not going to produce much boost at all, and might not produce any more than without the turbo at all.

Turbocharged motorcycles didn't last long, they were tried a few times back during the 1980's and weren't real popular in the US marketplace. What else would use turbos as small? (or even smaller???....)

------

My point here is not that "I don't believe he did it" because obviously he did, but what I'm wondering is what did the turbo come off of? Because even the smallest (motorcycle) turbos I know of are still way too big for a Whizzer-sized motor to run.
~

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I dunno much about it - but a few minutes on Google turned up these;

RHB31
GARRET GT12
KKK KP31
Borg Warner S1B

KKK KP31

Notice the guy's finger, that thing is tiny! Yet TBH they're all still a lil on the large side, there's a lot of talk out there but it seems most are on around 300cc engines...

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
now how does that turbo oil...all the turbos ive ever dealt with have to have oil pumped to them...the ones i deal with at work have oil and coolant to them...
I got interested in building a turbo jet-engine at one point, but couldn't find any sources of cheap turbos.

Local salvage yards all strip the turbos and blowers off cars they get, and send them to rebuilding companies for the core fees. The turbos that junkyards have are all thoroughly ruined, from rain getting into them through open intakes and seizing the bearings with rust. None of the local auto-parts stores I asked at sold turbo rebuild kits at all, they could only get new or re-manufactured turbos for prices of ~$1000+.

You can find used (pulls) turbos on eBay, as well as some rebuild kits. The eBay turbos were all at least $300-$350, which was more than I cared to spend, so I never did it. And most of the turbos you see on eBay, you still can't find any rebuild kits for..... So, you almost have to see what rebuild kits there are, and then buy that model turbo + a few rebuild kits at once.

I did buy one junkyard one for $25, just to see what I would get. The bearings were very-much ruined, and the rotating parts were severely rusted.

If anyone knows anywhere to buy smaller/functional or rebuild-able turbos and rebuild kits (other than eBay) I'd love to hear about it.......
~

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
theres a guy on thumper talk who sells turbo kits for the yamaha wr 250x, he uses the little RB turbo. is making 54hp with it.
when ever the carb is placed before the turbo (which means the throttle is a restriction to the turbo inlet) any time the throttle is closed there will be vacuum in the turbo. the turbo uses positive pressure in the compressor and turbine housing to keep the oil in the chra, when you place the carb before the turbo it needs to be a sealed type turbo that can work under vacuum or it will suck oil out of the chra. accel made a blow through system back in the 70's, it used a diverter valve and a sealed turbo, was for a small block chevy. check out the acme web site, theres a vid of a 12hp lawn mower with the turbo off of a dodge mini van on it. it made 3lbs boost and was enough extra power to eventually blow the crank out of the block. was fun though.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
Again with the warning that I know zilch about this product or the site it's from - I was wanderin' the webz and found these turbos and fuel injection systems for small engine apps: Turbocharger and EFI Fuel Injection kits

*shrug* Jus' thought someone might get a kick outa checkin' em out ;)
yeah, thats the turbo you want, IHI is the leader in small turbos and thats a great price for it. never dealt with that site before but IHI's rb turbos sell on e-bay used for more than that sometimes.

stealthc9

Nov 25, 2008
New Port Richey,FL
now how does that turbo oil...all the turbos ive ever dealt with have to have oil pumped to them...the ones i deal with at work have oil and coolant to them...now me and a friend got drunk in the garage, we finished that 30 pack with a mass of cans and a mazda turbo attached to an old honda motorcycle...his brother in law put in on the dyno the next week and asked why would we build a 187hp motorcycle...the only thing he could say was we were drunk...oh by the way i was scared to ride it...it lagged real bad taking off but when that thing spun up you couldnt keep the front wheel on the ground...so lessen learned...no more drinking beers with a mig welder and a mill...hahaha just kidding thats always a fun night...sorry got side tracked....ive heard of some smaller turbos being sealed units just not the 80lbs monsters i deal with at work
why would the bike lag?? It should be quick, and just get faster. Unless you changed the pistons to lower compression pistons. It would be just as fast as before (maybe a lil more with the added back pressure) and was it an internal wastegate?? And how did u get a mazda (garrett) turbo to work on a carb'd motorcycle? did you attach the carb to the turbo and then attached the turbo to the engine's intake via y pipe?? ive been thinking of boosting my ninja 250 to 1.5psi (so I dont blow the motor, just to say i turbo'd it)

Silent Matt

Mar 29, 2010
OR
He probably meant the turbo would lag not the bike. I don't think you'd feel any difference running 1.5psi of boost, that might be enough to take care of the restriction the turbo causes in the intake and exhaust. I always ran 7-8psi on stock engines. Never heard of running less then 3 on the small stuff.

I used to build turbo kits for rotary engines and would run blow thru setups using side draft weber carbs. Using a slide carb might be kind of tricky but I think as long as it had good gaskets, the body was sealed and the float bowl received boost also it should work. There might be a problem with the overflow vents though. We used a rising rate fuel pressure regulator also because the fuel pressure had to stay higher then the boost pressure. You might have to run a fuel pump or pressurize the fuel tank so it didn't lean out......not sure how well running boost to the tank would work.

As far as not running an oil system, I've heard of making a closed loop (running braided hose from the oil inlet to the outlet) and filling it 75% full of helicopter rotor oil.