Integrated CDI Issues!

GoldenMotor.com

jackal86

Apr 9, 2015
Austin, TX
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I have done a search of the forums and cannot find any info on this.

I purchased and installed a Dragonfire kit which looks beautiful on my bike. The problem is, she won't fire! I've tested everything. Gas is reaching the cylinder, I've replaced the plug... still no spark. The only thing it could be is the internal CDI/Magneto but there is ZERO trouble shooting info on this particular part anywhere on the web. Anyone have experience with this part? Is there something I need to adjust? Rewire? Tried playing with the magnet distance and that didn't do anything. I don't even know how to test it with an ohms meter because there is such a lack of info on this.

Please, someone help! I've been staring at this bike for three days now... I just want to ride!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you.

Was the bike running before you installed that aftermarket CDI? Did it come with a wiring diagram? Have you tried reinstalling your original CDI?

If you have an ohm meter here is what you need to see:

Use Low Ohm-Meter Scale About 200 Ohms

Magneto Coil

1) Check Ohms between BLACK wire and WHITE wire. Reading should be around 2 Ohms
2) Check ohms between BLUE wire and WHITE wire. Should be around 300-400 ohms.

Tom

jackal86

Apr 9, 2015
Austin, TX
Thank you for the reply 2door. The CDI I'm referring to is the one the many people refer to as the "super rat." It is the one that came with my kit, the CDI is housed inside of the engine itself. The only wire coming out of it is the spark plug wire and a port for the red killswitch wire to connect to, so I dont know how I'm supposed to check the current on it. I know there is plenty of info on traditional CDIs but I cannot find any on this type. I thought it would save me time in my build but boy was I wrong. 4 days since build and bike still wont spark. I am so sad!!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A good way to check for spark is to remove the sparkplug from the engine, & put the wire back on it, then touch the threads of the plug to the engine (to ground the plug).
Then (with the clutch lever out), have someone spin the back wheel (so the engine spins too) & see if there's a spark in the plug! ;)

RagnInjun

Apr 26, 2015
belleville, il
i feel ur pain i also bought one of those dragon fire engines and it wont produce a spark. my bike has been setting for a week and im at odds of what to do.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Personally I would mark those internal CDI engines up as lesson learned and jusy get a new engine with a more reliable ignition, since those engine first hit our shores they have done nothing more than be trouble for the owners of them, ignitions being the weak point, I guess some plant in china has decided to start pumping them out again for some reason.

Ive had ignition issues recently with one of my standard type ignition engines, mag coil and CDI went bad, ut that is the first CDI or Mag failure Ive had sinc3 my first build in 2009.

Seperate CDI units and mag coils can easily be replaced for $10 each if one goes bad.

Sorry to here about the trouble with those "Super Rat/Dragonfly" type engines but honestly the problem with those ignitions is why I wont own one myself.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was thinking of a brand of aftermarket ignition with a similar name.

There has been a lot of discussion about the Super Rat internal CDI and the problems owners have had with it. I'd have to agree with Mapbike. You might be better off with a different engine.

I'm curious if anyone has ever tried modifying one to use standard ignition components.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've wondered if the crankshaft is standard on the mag end.

if so it would be real easy to just buy a standard engine case from bikeberry for $21, get some 6202 bearing, new crank seals, standard mag and CDI, then just switch out all the guts and you'll have a basically new standard type engine for about $65-$75

Still cheaper than buying a complete new engine and someone will gain some knowledge and experience going all the way through their engine this way and understand how everything works much better.

I know main bearings in the super rat engines are 6203 and the standard engines use 6202 bearings

Last edited:

dr.Z&X

Dec 9, 2018
i feel ur pain i also bought one of those dragon fire engines and it wont produce a spark. my bike has been setting for a week and im at odds of what to do.
between the blue n green wires or hot and neg wires eiter except the white wire on the magneto the ohms will be between .327-.345ohms
to check on your CDI you can check the ohms it will be .8-.900ohms anything more than either of those will mean that it is going bad...