What to put it in?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I had to kind of laugh at myself a little as I read your post about all of the bikes, motors, plans and not enough room for everything... I already have a 50 Panther with a 99 Preddy engine and sidecar, am yet to finish up a 34 Elgin with a vintage Villiars midget of 98CCs with a SBP shift kit and 3 speed rear end. Not much left to do on that one. Then there's the Indian Hiawatha tri-car, an ongoing project for the past two or three years using a modified Worksman frame, 1934 Sachs 98CC motorcycle engine with 2 speed tranny built in. Have a trike project using a 63 Schwinn ladies American Deluxe with a China girl engine and a Golden Motor electric front wheel... just laying things out for the differential rear end for that one. This winter I want to finish up an AMF roadmaster with two speed Tomos engine for my 33 year old son, have another 63 Schwinn ladies American Deluxe with a 50 CC China girl set aside waiting for my grand daughter to be big enough to ride it, (10 years old). Have started setting aside parts for a Morgan inspired cyclecar a couple of years away and this winter's project is the "kindalikeawhizzer". My brother looks at what I'm doing and just doesn't understand. Maybe I don't understand either, but I also don't care.

I figure I'm old enough to fool around with this all I want. It is good medicine, keeps me interested, active and happy. I have a community of friends here to confer with and share experiences. I don't drink, smoke, gamble chase wild (or tame) women, don't go out to eat, to the movies, take trips or much anything but live in the woods with my dog, fish some and play with me motorbikes. It sure beats watching game shows or soaps on TV!

So Mr. Greybeard, I say good for you, the more the merrier and carry on, sir!
SB

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Oh dang. Been staying in the last couple days due to flu, and bored out of my mind. So I went out in the shed and brought the felt frame in and unpacked the Whizzer motor that Quenton built for me, and decided I'd see if it fit. I used the upper mount and a book just to hold it in place. Plenty room. I guess there may be a New Whizzer motor in my future.

Attachments

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I had to kind of laugh at myself a little as I read your post about all of the bikes, motors, plans and not enough room for everything... I already have a 50 Panther with a 99 Preddy engine and sidecar, am yet to finish up a 34 Elgin with a vintage Villiars midget of 98CCs with a SBP shift kit and 3 speed rear end. Not much left to do on that one. Then there's the Indian Hiawatha tri-car, an ongoing project for the past two or three years using a modified Worksman frame, 1934 Sachs 98CC motorcycle engine with 2 speed tranny built in. Have a trike project using a 63 Schwinn ladies American Deluxe with a China girl engine and a Golden Motor electric front wheel... just laying things out for the differential rear end for that one. This winter I want to finish up an AMF roadmaster with two speed Tomos engine for my 33 year old son, have another 63 Schwinn ladies American Deluxe with a 50 CC China girl set aside waiting for my grand daughter to be big enough to ride it, (10 years old). Have started setting aside parts for a Morgan inspired cyclecar a couple of years away and this winter's project is the "kindalikeawhizzer". My brother looks at what I'm doing and just doesn't understand. Maybe I don't understand either, but I also don't care.

I figure I'm old enough to fool around with this all I want. It is good medicine, keeps me interested, active and happy. I have a community of friends here to confer with and share experiences. I don't drink, smoke, gamble chase wild (or tame) women, don't go out to eat, to the movies, take trips or much anything but live in the woods with my dog, fish some and play with me motorbikes. It sure beats watching game shows or soaps on TV!

So Mr. Greybeard, I say good for you, the more the merrier and carry on, sir!
SB
I think some may think of us as having a defective gene. I also don't smoke, drink, gamble or chase. I used to live in a log home on the Snake River in Idaho. I've moved to Where I grew up to kinda look after my mom. She's 92, still lives in the house she contracted in 1964, drives, and play Bridge 3 days a week.
At one time I was into muscle cars, and had a 60x120 barn full of projects, and a handful of fully restored cars. Genetics say that I could live another 25yrs or so, and these bikes are easier for me to move around than big block engines.
I have a big bucket list that I'll start on after my mother moves on. Hope we can find each other and spend some time swapping stories.
Your comment that this is good medicine is very wise.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Oh dang. Been staying in the last couple days due to flu, and bored out of my mind. So I went out in the shed and brought the felt frame in and unpacked the Whizzer motor that Quenton built for me, and decided I'd see if it fit. I used the upper mount and a book just to hold it in place. Plenty room. I guess there may be a New Whizzer motor in my future.
People underestimate the value of old paperback novels as shimming material during mockups :D

When I was young I owned a fleet of cars and usually no more than one of them was actually in running condition at any one time. Now that I'm older I've found that bicycles are plain easier to deal with and you can still have lots of fun on them just the same.
I suppose I must have the same kind of genes because I don't watch television, gamble or drink (except perhaps for a Guinness at Christmas) and I like peace and quiet. I don't live in the woods, though my small 1930s cottage at the edge of a small rural town is my own haven from the rush and push of the modern world.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Greybeard & Intrepid WW,
Similar points of view I see and we three like our peace and quiet. Pictures I've seen of New Zealand are compelling and if I remember right wasn't the Snake River country home to the Nez Perce? Beautiful country at any rate.

While it would be a great thing to share a ride with you two, or hang out in your shops while you work... being able to share here on the forum in a kind of virtual reality is the next best thing. It is why pictures are always such a treat.

I used to fool with cars, too, British sports cars of the 1950's & 60's and 1940's pickup trucks. And yes, bike projects are easier to move around, don't take up near as much room and are easier on the budget, too. Plus at the end of the day you still get to ride off into the sunset on your mechanical pony. Woohoo!
SB

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Very interesting thread, guys. Keep the stories coming. That Whizzer engine that Chain stuffed into a Panther was one tough looking machine. So many Whizzer guys say that engine will not fit into a straightbar Panther frame, yet I have seen it done many times.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Pat,
The "hot rodded" Whizzer engine will go in a Panther. I have Chain's Panther, and another as well. Both have your tanks. I bought a '52 Black Phantom frame, just in case the tall fin head didn't fit, but after taking the motor out to examine, I see that some fins are cut down in the back just for the purpose of clearing tight frames, and Quenton said it'll fit the Panther.
BTW, if you ever catch up, I'd like to get one of your frames for a high power electric, equivalent to 10 hp gas.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
BTW, if you ever catch up, I'd like to get one of your frames for a high power electric, equivalent to 10 hp gas.
I have a bunch of pedal bike Flyers. They are .090" wall based on my bigger builds. They can handle 10 hp. I have been sitting on a 1952 :confused: Panther frame, it's that one year weird one with the 1" center tube. All the others had a 7/8" tube. Anyway, I was thinking about building a Mt. Tamalpias down hill mountain bike. Was going to do a clear powder coat on it so you can see the original brazing. Like you guys, lots of plans for builds and parts kicking around. Would love to walk around your shops and see the treasures laying around!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I have a bunch of pedal bike Flyers. They are .090" wall based on my bigger builds. They can handle 10 hp. I have been sitting on a 1952 :confused: Panther frame, it's that one year weird one with the 1" center tube. All the others had a 7/8" tube. Anyway, I was thinking about building a Mt. Tamalpias down hill mountain bike. Was going to do a clear powder coat on it so you can see the original brazing. Like you guys, lots of plans for builds and parts kicking around. Would love to walk around your shops and see the treasures laying around!
These days for a Mt. Tam downhill MTB, I think I'd just spring for a F/S Intense....gettin' old and like the plushness ;)

.wee.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm interested in building a bike using a big "hub motor" sitting amidship. The motor is rated @ 8000 Watt continuous, 16,000 watt max. 10-20hp. My thinking is to mount the motor in the loop, bb jackshaft, with left side chain. Of course, the longer wheelbase would be nice as well. So I'll wait until you guys get caught up, if ever.