what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Just spent the last couple of hours going over the bike. Found an issue that will further fan the flames of the Huffy Haters......the original spring seat had just about come apart at the springs. The top spring nuts had almost totally unscrewed themselves and the seat clamp wasn't all the way on the post. These were things that I honestly hadn't checked during my experience with the bike (I've owned the bike itself for a couple of years). I was probably one major jolt from a catastrophic event. This is something that I will certainly keep an eye on in the future.

Also, I finally got a partial shipment from JNM. Come to find out, I guess there are different sizes of exhaust gaskets.......the ones sent didn't have the stud holes spaced out far enough to fit on the studs. Had to knip out the end of one of the holes to make it work temporarily. Who knew......or was the gasket a fubar?

On a good note, the spark plug was the exact color that it was supposed to be. I could still see the lathe rings on the top of the light gray piston. The piston skirt looked very good from the open exhaust port --- and had a slight oily film on it.

The engine chain sprocket still looked great with no abnormal wear.

The Turbobuick1 chain tensioner required no attention --- great purchase on this one!

The rear hub was still tight with no slack. Guess that I got it right on the last adjustment I did a couple of months ago! The tires still had 50lbs of pressure. The Slime seems to slow the air leaks.

I know that some people get irritated that they have to do maintenance on their machines. I'm kinda the opposite ---- I enjoy piddling in my garage on a project that gives me great satisfaction.

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Only the intakes are different .And that's because of the gt5 rat motor .You don't see two different size of expansion chambers do you ? Sound like you got rat intake gasket. LMAO

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Only the intakes are different .And that's because of the gt5 rat motor .You don't see two different size of expansion chambers do you ? Sound like you got rat intake gasket. LMAO

They also sent an intake gasket --- it was smaller still. Looks like the intake gasket will work. However, that's not the gasket that I needed.

If the larger gasket is also a different intake gasket, they've just been added to my 'do not buy from them again, stupid, list'.......hope I remember.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Ok dude, heres what I did . Been two months no leaks. Along with SBP chamber I run the JNM X-PORT so this means I need two exhaust gaskets . I made them out of a license plate . Installed high temperature RTV with copper. On the intake just a VERY THIN LAYER OF RTV. Also RTV and no base gasket. To raise the compression a smidge that way . The headgasket is a thiny .016 more compression .

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming

Ok dude, heres what I did . Been two months no leaks. Along with SBP chamber I run the JNM X-PORT so this means I need two exhaust gaskets . I made them out of a license plate . Installed high temperature RTV with copper. On the intake just a VERY THIN LAYER OF RTV. Also RTV and no base gasket. To raise the compression a smidge that way . The headgasket is a thiny .016 more compression .
Did you find a torque difference in using the JNM X-Port? Basically I'm looking at upgrading my PistonHawk here and there and I'm curious about real world results. I've read that some expansion chamber pipes can free up as much as .5 horsepower. I'm also considering the CR Machine head or even the CR machine piston, cylinder, head combo.

Thoughts and thanks in advance.

Dan.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

Repaired the silencer that fell off last night. The perforated tube inside finally broke after being bent too many times on the last low mount pipe I used it on.
Simply welded a sleeve over the busted area and repacked it. Good as new!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Last night I cleaned the Karaoke bike really good, replaced bearing in chain tensioner roller, adjusted chain tension, added large clamp for better support of the sbp expansion chamber, cleaned wheels and checked spokes over good, added extra head gasket, compression was so high after I milled head down that the bike was really tough to start, sometimes tire would slide or clutch slip ever with my 215lbs on it, cleaned spark plug and run a compression test and still have 120lbs with only popping the engine over a couple times using the pedal like a kick start while holding rear tire up off of ground, which is still very hard to do....! My wife talked me out of giving this bike to my brother because he will likely just park it in the shed and rarely if ever ride it, that would bother me so he's getting a nice card and a good steak dinner tomorrow night for his birthday.....!

Map
.wee.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Worked the aluminum plating I'm putting on the luggage rack to accompany the new brake light tail light system . Rode around a bit. Then I took a nap , probably be up all damn night now .lol

CaptainDishman

Feb 28, 2013
Salem, Virginia

It's late for summer, but after dealing with stomach problems this season, I finally ordered a dual brake handle and springing chain tensioner. I actually took out both of the bikes and started fixing them.
One has to have a new rear sprocket put on it. The other has to have the main inner gasket replaced.
One has the rear wheel removed and ready for surgery. The other is still in the waiting room.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Didnt get any work done on bike today, my brother and I worked on my shop all day putting up rafters, got up all up on the side that is 40' x 20' now just like four more having all of them up on the 20' x 20' other additional room for all my wifes junk/stuff.....LOL!

Did get some work done the other night though and here are some pics of the cleaned up Karaoke with the H-D emblems on the tank...

Attachments

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming

After doing some research here I figured out that my new motor was four stroking and not bogging like I thought. Plug gap was set at .025 so I opened it up to .032 and lo and behold more torque and just the slightest four stroking near the top end. I'll say its pretty peppy until about 2 miles or so and then I started to four stroke again, mainly on upgrades and then later in even in the flats around 17 mph just like before.

Well we arrived at the local sporting goods store about 4 miles from home to pick up some reloading supplies and when I got back on the bike nice and zippy again! About 2 miles later the symptoms repeating. Didn't have a chance to pull the plug when I got back but I did check the motor temp and around the exhaust port on the cylinder itself it was only 220 degrees and the rest of the cylinder was around 205-210 degrees.

It only has 57 miles on it so I will assume more break in time is needed :confused:

Dan.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

Hey Map , what does H-D stand for ? I'm take a guess , Hum-Dinger ? I'll use it in a sentence .
That sure is a "Hum-dinger" of a bike . Where you get dat. laff

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Hey Map , what does H-D stand for ? I'm take a guess , Hum-Dinger ? I'll use it in a sentence .
That sure is a "Hum-dinger" of a bike . Where you get dat. laff
Well didn't think of the Hum-Dinger....but I like it,.....!

Actually when I put this bike together about three years ago I told people it was my Huffy Davidson.... haven't mentioned that much because that is your handle on the forum but yeah the H-D stands for HUFFY DAVIDSON and mine will be called the HUM-DINGER KARAOKE MODEL from here on out......I like it!

It aint fancy but it is a very solid bike, im gonna have suspension forks on it in the future and some different bars, also plan to have a Dax lower on this bike in the future also, I'll jst pull the upper off this engine and stick it on the Dax, the engine on it is a very good runner but above 32-34mph she starts the to much vibes thing, I'd like to have it smoother at 35mph and I'd be pretty happy.

Thanks for the Hum-Dinger idea Huffy -D...lol

Map
dnut

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

What pipe is that?

Thanks, Dan.
It is the SBP expansion chamber pipe, I got rid of all the silicone tubing mess and plumbed it with 3/4" copper fittings, ill take some close up pix later today and post them here on how I did it, nothing fancy and not as good as if it were a solid welded up tube but it works just fine on this bike and I think it looks better than it does with all the silicone hose conections that didnt last no time before I was all burned out.

Map

Last edited: