what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com
Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
i made some new spokes for my 12 inch chopper today

I had noticed something was odd when a freind rode away from me, the wheel seemed to bend to one side. upon closer inspection i found 4(!) broken spokes. they had sheared off at the hub on the back side of the mushroom. I assume they were cut by the twisting action. there were also some burrs on the hub.

When I removed the rag joint i found 3 more broken spokes. The entire hub assembly could rotate or twist a little.

I am not really surprised by any of this. The wheel is only 12", the 24 spokes don't even cross, i have a small-ish rear cog, i weigh like 275, and this bike was really made for very little kids.

I smooothed the burrs off, and cut "new" spokes from an old wheel. I purchased a hozan c-700 threader. It worked great, but i removed the crank arm and chucked it up in my cordless drill.(make sure you don't have any burrs and oil before each cut)

I tensioned the spokes quite tite. There are not vey many, and twisting seems likely.I should have probably replaced all the spokes, but we will see how it goes...

gonna get the wheel back on tomorrow and go for a putt.
el

ps new spokes are silver

Attachments

Last edited:

schwarz.chuck

Sep 30, 2016
New Jersey
My 12 year old son and I finished a build. We put a flying horse motor from Bikeberry into a 3G IslaVista. I have to say that I had tons of fun doing the build and so did my son. When I opened the box I found the gas tank to be damaged and thought that I was in for trouble but everything went together pretty well. We were out today breaking it in... Hopefully Bikeberry will send me a new tank.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
i made some new spokes for my 12 inch chopper today

I had noticed something was odd when a freind rode away from me, the wheel seemed to bend to one side. upon closer inspection i found 4(!) broken spokes. they had sheared off at the hub on the back side of the mushroom. I assume they were cut by the twisting action. there were also some burrs on the hub.

When I removed the rag joint i found 3 more broken spokes. The entire hub assembly could rotate or twist a little.

I am not really surprised by any of this. The wheel is only 12", the 24 spokes don't even cross, i have a small-ish rear cog, i weigh like 275, and this bike was really made for very little kids.

I smooothed the burrs off, and cut "new" spokes from an old wheel. I purchased a hozan c-700 threader. It worked great, but i removed the crank arm and chucked it up in my cordless drill.(make sure you don't have any burrs and oil before each cut)

I tensioned the spokes quite tite. There are not vey many, and twisting seems likely.I should have probably replaced all the spokes, but we will see how it goes...

gonna get the wheel back on tomorrow and go for a putt.
el

ps new spokes are silver
They make some scooter wheel like that with heavy gage spokes, maybe find one and get a wheel ready just incase............Curt

Here is one site https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=12"+scooter+wheels+with+heavy+spokes

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/electricscooterwheels.html

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
thanks!

thanks those links are great! never thought of that particular search

today i went out to start the bike, after reinstalling the wheel etc.
but after rolling around a bit the tire popped with a loud pop- must have pinched it i guess. it blew the wire off the tire edge, so now i will be getting that too.

heh.

el

Lamo_Insano

Oct 20, 2016
Spring tx
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Found my left peddle loose, so I tightened it (left hand threads).

Then realized it's stripped out... S.O.B

I'm gonna look like a fool riding a bike with one crank arm til I get a new one.
Lol yeah I rode with my toe balanced on the crank arm for bout two months. Felt crazy an unsafe but I made it around town an too an from work.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
So that pedals don't loosen if there is much friction if bearings are not running smooth. I guess I read that is why right hand thread on right side pedal crank. The left side pedal left hand thread (also called sometimes reverse thread).

I might expect that if at one time trying to remove a left pedal by turning it the wrong way just a bit and then remembering it was the other way, just might weaken the threads. Then after removing it you might later install it again and it is tightened but fails and strips either right away or delayed for some reason?

One thing I just realized though about the thread on the left hand side for not a pedal crank, but for a tapped engine crankshaft.

The type where the engine crank is on the left side and rotates counter clockwise and you have threaded crank as extra insurance against having a clutch or pulley fall off. In this case it must be the right hand thread. This would self tighten as the engine crankshaft turns counter clockwise.

I expect this is because in this case it is the force applied if coming from the engine outward to the clutch or pulley. That is the opposite of a pedal crank.

Just to cover all bases, I expect if and engine had the horizontal crank output on the right side and rotates clockwise, the crankshaft would have left hand threads that would then self tighten as the engine turns. If I one day have an engine like that I have to invest in a tap with left hand threads, a first!

MT

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just to cover all bases, I expect if and engine had the horizontal crank output on the right side and rotates clockwise, the crankshaft would have left hand threads that would then self tighten as the engine turns. If I one day have an engine like that I have to invest in a tap with left hand threads, a first!

Not always true, as some engines ( Briggs for one ) had left hand in the early days and changed to right hand later on. If it has keyway there is no need for left threads. If it you examine the threads first, if it is a bolt then more likely than not it will left on counter clock wise engine .................Curt

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thanks for that bit of information.

I really don't trust the set screw, but I know when there is a keyway you use a key.

Maybe some removable thread locker on the set screw?

I've seen when I looked after riding a while and then when a cover is removed doing maintenance the set screw missing sometimes. Very concerned about that, but all had the shaft bolt or locking collar on the shaft so nothing bad happened.

The engine crankshaft I had only had a dimple on the end that I expect was for a puller, but it sort of helped the pilot drill start out to make the threads.

I guess the difficult question is if there is a frozen rusted bolt, which way to loosen? Pedals on bicycles is set as a standard, but as you said for an engine you would best get information first if any doubt. I've used HeliCoils and there great, but not known there enough clearance to oversize a special thread for installing one on a crankshaft.

MT

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
This must be one of the oldest threads in the forum.

ttt.....
The sun's rising earlier and setting later.

That means it's the season to ride my MB, Snow Tiger to work!dance1

Snow Tiger sleeps outside with a bike cover and a Fugetaboutit chain. It's been a month since I gassed him up. My wife insisted I wear my full dirt bike armor. I look like Iron Man. Off to the station I went, filled up with 92 octane and 50:1 oil mix. What an enjoyable way to start the work day. It's like a 30-minute Disney ride. Snow Tiger performed flawlessly. Yesterday, it was running rich on the high end. No power in 7th speed at 17.72:1 gearing. I leaned out both high and low on the carb. Problem solved. When I climb the steep parking ramps, I have to pedal-assist if the carb's too rich.

I'm going out to dinner after work. Snow Tiger is sleeping at work tonight, shackled to another Fugetaboutit chain.

We'll ride home tomorrow before sunset.

Last edited:

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
What did I do to my bike today well I road The BlackHawk almost 40 miles today on a good shake down run. I only got to 40mph or so but damn there is so much more in her. I did find a couple links like my chain tensioner the gear is no better then a wheel of a kit. also had to replace my clutch center bolt but other then those 2 things The BlackHawk is 100%. She got to show a Zeda rider how a Motorized can run lol and it is fun when a cop pulls besides you at a light rolls down his passenger window and says cool bike.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
What did I do to my bike today well I road The BlackHawk almost 40 miles today on a good shake down run. I only got to 40mph or so but damn there is so much more in her. I did find a couple links like my chain tensioner the gear is no better then a wheel of a kit. also had to replace my clutch center bolt but other then those 2 things The BlackHawk is 100%. She got to show a Zeda rider how a Motorized can run lol and it is fun when a cop pulls besides you at a light rolls down his passenger window and says cool bike.
Yep lots of fun till you get a speeding ticket like I did today lol. I use a skateboard wheel for the tensioner works great.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
How fast were you going, Tony?

I used to use a fat skateboard wheel as a chain tensioner too. I machined a deep grove down the center.

However, after I repositioned the driven sprocket, the chain is very tight.

No need for a chain tensioner now.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My bike, Snow Tiger rested safely overnight and throughout the day at my workplace. My wife and daughter were worried for its safety, but I wasn't. My bike was resting on the fourth floor of a secured parking structure w/roll-up doors. It was also chained to a bike rack with a Fugetaboutit chain.

After adjusting the front and rear disc brakes, Snow Tiger fired up and away we rolled. Another glorious 30-minute leisurely ride home past rush hour traffic. No one on the bike path where the homeless people took over. Past the old guy with 4 pit bulls on the path. Past the workmen having a few beers before they head home.

I think I'll buy a helmet camera and video my rides.cvlt1

Last edited:

MBNooB

Apr 15, 2017
Manchester, NH
I went for a quick ride out of sheer boredom...Also made a hat cam with an old kodak m88-somthing to cover my butt next time I get hit.

Last edited: