Thinner head gasket. Less low-end power, more high end power?

GoldenMotor.com

dimentio

Jan 5, 2013
philadelphia
So the other day I swapped my head gasket for one off of SBP. it's 1/2 the thickness of the one I had on mine. I lost some low end power, but gained high end, I'm doing 35MPH for max speed, but the engine stutters when I let go of the clutch at low speed (Like take-off pedaling speed) Basically I could go really slow with my old gasket and the engine would still pump, but with this new gasket, it acts like I'm push-starting it. Is there anything I can do to get some low end power without losing that high speed? I currently have a stock CDI/spark plug, Voodoo exhaust, and stock NT carb.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's probably the extra compression causing the lurching at low speeds because you have more pressure to overcome making it lurch at low speeds. More compression SHOULD give more power everywhere in the rev range, but these chinagirls are kinda weird and inconsistent.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's probably the extra compression causing the lurching at low speeds because you have more pressure to overcome making it lurch at low speeds. More compression SHOULD give more power everywhere in the rev range, but these chinagirls are kinda weird and inconsistent.
And how low is "low speed" ? Generally anything below about 10 mph can cause lurching, or jerking. Try using your clutch a little ealier and don't try to idle along with the clutch engaged. I think you'll find it smooths things out for you a lot.

Tom