What a load of BS....8hp!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Hey all,
Been working on this project for a few weeks in shop class. I have til June to get all the major metal work done, so well see how it goes. I will be using an 8hp Briggs with a V belt go-kart style clutch and a #41 chain secondary... I'll also be machining my own pulleys because as long as i have access to the equipment I might as well take advantage of it, right? Well, anyhow, this is where I'm at so far. The frame is 10" longer, and I'll be making a drop loop to fit the big ol' mill in there. It will be 15" from the straight tube to the bottom of the loop. Not sure what kind of mount I want to do for the final drive... I'm thinking of making something similar to the ones that clamp around the rear hub, or maybe getting a Whizzer wheel (there's a dealer in town that might trade for some pinstriping). I'll cross that bridge when i get there though....

Thanks for the look!! Comments and criticism are much appreciated!!

IMAG1431 by ShortyLaVen, on Flickr

IMAG1488.jpg by ShortyLaVen, on Flickr

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
That frame seems way to long. I think most antique bikes measured around 55" from axle to axle.

Man I would kill for a shop like that, make good use of it while you can.

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
Thanks for the replies!! Yes, I make good use of the shop at school!! I wish I could take it with me when I graduate this year..... If only!

I know it seems long, but inspiration is a picture of a V12 motorcycle from the early 20s/late teens.... I can't find a picture of it now, but that's kind of the look I'm going for. More of a vintage land speed bike than a board tracker. If anyone knows the bike I speak of and has a pic, please post it here!! It would be much appreciated.

Who knows though, I might whack a few inches of the filler tubes... It's not welded yet so i still can if need be. I'll but the wheels on and set it on the ground first maybe...

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Thanks for the replies!! Yes, I make good use of the shop at school!! I wish I could take it with me when I graduate this year..... If only!

I know it seems long, but inspiration is a picture of a V12 motorcycle from the early 20s/late teens.... I can't find a picture of it now, but that's kind of the look I'm going for. More of a vintage land speed bike than a board tracker. If anyone knows the bike I speak of and has a pic, please post it here!! It would be much appreciated.

Who knows though, I might whack a few inches of the filler tubes... It's not welded yet so i still can if need be. I'll but the wheels on and set it on the ground first maybe...
That's a good tecnique that I use a lot. Making stuff too long or too big at first. Then trimming to fit. It's easier to take it off little at a time, until you sneak up on what works, that it is to add it back on. No matter what medium(metal, wood ect) you're working with.

Last edited:

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
True that, my friend!!! I learned the hard way...LOL

I'll mount the handle bars and forks from my other bike and see how I like the fit. I want it just long/short enough that I can lay down on my belly all the way and not be cramped or stretched out....

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I say keep it that long OR longer and stuff TWO of those motors in there run togather with a chain. Then you have the look your going for :)

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
I say keep it that long OR longer and stuff TWO of those motors in there run togather with a chain. Then you have the look your going for :)
I think your on to something.... I only have one motor though...

Here's a little bit of progress. Put the wheels on and made some measurements.. It's 55" from axle to axle, 80" overall... Seems about right to me!!

IMAG1489.jpg by ShortyLaVen, on Flickr

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
I had an idea last night for the drive train set up..... take a front wheel and press the bearing ut of the hub. Then make an axle the same diameter of the hub bore, press it through and weld it. Now you have a true axle on the wheel. Then press a roller or ball bearing on the axle on either side and machine a piece that will clamp the bearings to the frame (Like how a conecting rod bolts to a crank). You could the bolt the drive sprocket on the end of the axle, outside the frame, and thus eliminate the need for a jack shaft. On the other end it would be cake to fasten a band brake, or even a disc brake of some kind... If I find the need to keep the pedals (wasn't really planning on it, but you never know) I could even put a sprocket between the bearing and hub...... What do you guys think?

Shorty

Apr 2, 2010
McKinleyville, CA
I havent got to work on this beast in almost a year!! I'm living in Sacramento now while I go to WyoTech, so this project is sitting in our shop 300 miles away for now... But I'm thinking about bringing it down here to finish next time I get a break from school.

Anyways, heres some old pics I don't think I've posted before... This is how far I had come on the last day of high school before I loaded it up and put it in the shop for safe keeping.

I've been thinking about what kind of clutch to use on this thing... I'm planning on building an old school v-belt tensioner with a jockey shift style lever. Maybe not safe and practical, but I think it would really fit with the early 1900s theme. I've also been talking with the machine shop by me about my rear hub design... All in due time!