Question About Getting Pulled Over in B.C,CA

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This is where I bought my motor and battery. Think it's safe to say he is the leader as far as e-bikes go. He went coast to coast on an e-bike 2 or 3 years ago.

Not inexpensive but his parts are the very best. I bought the eZee geared motor and a lithium battery that he doesn't sell any more. Geared motors help with the hills.

I've emailed him at 10:30 at night and had an answer back in minutes. Great service.

www.ebikes.ca Homepage of the revolution

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You more than welcome. Know how you feel about your bike. I'm building a copy of a 1905 Indian tricar and since I'm putting a Sachs 98cc motor on it with a hand operated clutch and a 2 speed transmission it means that I can't use it anywhere unless I have it licenced as a motorcycle which won't happen since the frame doesn't have a vin number and there is no chance that I can get one assigned to it since it's based on a bicycle frame.

It will be a bike and car show rider. You can bet I'll be at every car show I can find to use it.

I'd bring my bike over to let you try it but it's pulled apart at the moment and the trailer it's in is packed with bike parts as my brother and I are redoing the garage so I can't get at it. Hopefully after Christmas it will be back together.

If Robin can get something that will hold the police off that would be great but as I say about the only thing that will help is a change in the law and I'm sure that won't happen in my life time.
It has to happen on a Federal level. Maybe Mr Harper will include us in the long gun registery recall. :)

Steve

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
@ Chriscraft112,

To your original post, the police can pull you over for having a motorized bicycle. There is a Provincial ban based by ICBC.

Motorized bicycles are not illegal in Canada. Provincial insurance agencies that have a monopoly can make legal amendments to Canada's Transportation Act. Since Canada does not manufacture or import motorized bicycles, they are excluded. A bicycle is a bicycle then. The RCMP K Division Headquarters told me in person that they do not care what makes my bicycle move for alternative power. They suggested that I try a wind sail.

ICBC holds a monopoly on insurance in British Columbia. Since a bicycle kit is not regulated or identified in Canada's Transportation Act, they do not feel comfortable insuring something that some maniac built in his garage. So, their answer to a motorized bicycle is simply banishing it. Bicycles can never meet the high Department of Transportation (DOT) safety specs. Bicycles are not meant to be motorized vehicles.

I ride my motorized bicycle in Alberta. Anywhere and anytime. I spoke with all the different layers of police and By-Law officers in this Province about this. Even the Crown Prosecuter. The unaminous answer to me was that there is no Canadian law or Albertan law preventing me from riding.

The traffic Sergeant reminded me that I have a responsibility as a cyclist to obey laws and by-laws. So, I have flashing lights, reflectors, a bell, and a massive motorbike helmet. I do not ride like a jackass. I ride with the flow of traffic. Motorists appreciate that when they see me peddle beside them through the streets.

I will say this to all enthusiasts, approach your local law agencies. DO NOT approach police on the street. They are human before what their uniform represents. Visit a headquarters and request for an audience with someone who represents traffic law. That way you will get the correct answer and not some ones personal opinion, like those on this site. I had the police print out the legal definition of a bicycle for me. It is from their database and has their reference number.

Best of luck to you and all motorized bicycle enthusiasts.

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
hello orge power thanks for your response it was very helpful and knowledgable however,what do you tell cops when they pull you over?that your bike meets the definition of a bicycle and they leave you alone?thanks keith

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
@Chriscraft112,

I have never given reason for the Alberta law enforcement to pull me over.

Long story below. Get some coffee.

While I was doing "internet" research before I built my bike, I found that it was futile. Too many outdated documents online and personal opinions. So, I began emailing, calling, and confronting parties of interest.

First I contacted Transport Canada. They politely over the phone thanked me for wasting their time with this subject.

I was referred to the local by-law authorities in Alberta. I contacted several different agents over the phone and listened to their personal opinions of where I stand with a motorized bicycle. It was suggested by them that I possess a moped. I had to get an Alberta inspection and apply for a VIN number to register it. I asked where does this VIN number come from? From my understanding it can only be obtained for motorized vehicles that are identified in the National Transportation Act. The operator then informed me that the VIN was actually going to be from the trailer registry numbers. I knew then that this whole thing was poop. I can never pass an Alberta road inspection with a bicycle. I could if I rebuild it with a fortune. But, that defeats the point of having a motorized bicycle. Anyhow, after listening to the agents and their personal advice, I asked for them to research their database and tell me where I stand. After listening to heaving breathing and murmers over the phone the agent responded with " I do not know what to call your bike". According to the agent there was nothing available to describe or identify what I built in my 300ft sq apartment. He recommend that I speak to the local police.

In person, I went to the Edmonton K Division headquarters. I asked people there who should I speak to in regard to what my bicycle is. A few shrugs and moments later I was suggested to go to the city police to get some answers. The RCMP told me they do not care what my bicycle has to make it go faster.

I visited the local police center several times before getting an answer. At first they laughed at me. It did seem silly that a potential law breaker approaching the police for a crime he has yet committed. But, they too were at a loss. They looked in their computer database and found nothing. The senior officer told me I found a loop hole. I replied to him that I just want to make sure that some one does not pull me over for something I should have known. The police told me to contact the traffic sergeant and the city crown prosecuter.

Later after getting answers from Transport Canada, Alberta Ministry of Transportation, RCMP, Edmonton Police, Edmonton By-Law traffic sergeant and the Alberta crown prosecuter, it was unaminous that I have a cool bicycle.

I have rode it all over the city of Edmonton, local highways, the Canadian Forces Base and crown land without any problems with the law. Only civilians have a problem with me.

Do not be shy, approach whomever it may concern where you live and learn what your boundaries are.

For example, I can ride my motorized bicycle in British Columbia. It depends where and when. There are areas where you too can ride. Find them. Do not post them here though. It only takes one weiner to ruin it for everyone. I miss riding at a particular "Ski Resort" near Kamloops. Thanks to some weiner for riding drunk and harassing the locals.

My ride can be seen at Unrealcycles Blog http://blog.unrealcycles.com/
Pictures of it at the Legislature Building http://www.flickr.com/photos/36566069@N07/5704606983/

Last edited:

Chriscraft112

Sep 10, 2011
White Rock,British Columbia
Deposited June 21, 2002

Motor Vehicle Act

Motor Assisted Cycle Regulation

Contents

Motor

1 (1) A motor assisted cycle must have no more than one motor for propulsion.

(2) The motor of a motor assisted cycle must

(a) be an electric motor,

(b) have a continuous power output rating of not more than 500 watts, and

(c) not be capable of propelling the motor assisted cycle at a speed greater than 32 km/hr on level ground.

Wheels

2 (1) The wheels of a motor assisted cycle must be 350 mm or more in diameter.

(2) A motor assisted cycle must not have more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground.

Motor shut-off requirement

3 (1) A motor assisted cycle must be equipped with a mechanism, separate from the accelerator controller, that

(a) allows the driver to turn the motor on and off from a normal seated position while operating the motor assisted cycle, or

(b) prevents the motor from turning on or engaging before the motor assisted cycle attains a speed of 3 km/hr.

(2) The motor of a motor assisted cycle must turn off or disengage if

(a) the operator stops pedaling,

(b) an accelerator controller is released, or

(c) a brake is applied.

Generators

4 A motor assisted cycle must not be equipped with a generator, alternator or similar device powered by a combustion engine.

Brake performance requirement

5 (1) A motor assisted cycle must be equipped with brakes on all wheels or on each axle.

(2) The braking system must be capable of bringing the motor assisted cycle, while being operated at a speed of 30 km/hr, to a full stop within 9 m from the point at which the brakes were applied.

Drive system and equipment securement

6 The motor drive system and all energy storage devices of a motor assisted cycle must be secured to prevent movement in any direction relative to the motor assisted cycle while the motor assisted cycle is operating.

Electrical terminals

7 All electrical terminals on a motor assisted cycle must be completely insulated or covered.

[Provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 318, relevant to the enactment of this regulation: section 182.1]

Hello orge power my dad keeps showing me this^^^^ whenever i bring up the argument hes reading this off the icbc page but maybe i should take him to the rcmp station and see what they say?also please tell me that the above doesnt apply to my bike thanks again orge power you have been a huge help-keith

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Maybe get a sphere cage made of wire and do loops inside. Actually I just want to use OHV sticker in CA California, not Canada. Seems that the provincial stuff is a lot to check on.

Measure Twice

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
@Chriscraft112,

I do not want to get involved with your personal affairs.

But, like I suggested go to the source and avoid "internet" research. The internet is full of outdated and unsupported documents.

Transport Canada has updated the definition of motor-assisted bicycle to power-assisted bicycle years ago. Majority of Provinces since then have re-aligned their provincial laws to be adjusted to the power-assisted bicycles. Power-assisted bicycles are manufactured and imported into Canada, therefore are treated as vehicles in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Motorized kit engines are not defined in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Bicycles are in the same class as rollerblades and other recreational wheeled things. So, the Province by-laws and monopolizing insurance companies create rules and regulations for them. That is why some places have by-laws against skateboards and even use of bicycles.

Motorized bicycles are not in Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act. ICBC however can make amendments to the Act to serve the Province. ICBC needs to make it more clear that the company does not tolerate motorized bicycles and stop using Transport Canada as a scapegoat.

Best of luck. My problems have always been people, never the law.

Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Go there and pay graft, that is how it was done before Warren Comisson. Atcually I just liked the movie Serpico and reading the book too.

Slightly off topic I guess, but I agree if you can get in on being a attachment to the police and ride your motor bike doing patrol then you are a do gooder an can't be given a ticket. You know the neighbor hood patrol.

Measure Twice

ogre_power

Nov 22, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
@fasteddy,

I fail to see how you attacking me helps this thread. If you have a problem with me, send a PM. Please be mature.

The Edmonton Police gave me the same print out of what you shared. I asked them for it right from their own database. They seen what I built. It is a Motoped with a Honda CRF50 clone. It does not matter on what size the engine is either. My bicycle does not fit either description and they are satisfied with that. You should be too.

I have stated earlier in this thread that I have approached all levels of the law in person. I have been riding the thing for a year now. Often I ride by the police station so the local authorities can look it over and get familiar with it. By-law officers tell me that they want one. Military personnel tell me that I am cheating by not having to pedal all the time like they do.

So, I encourage everyone to get off their butts and start introducing themselves and talk to people.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Just how am I attacking you? The Edmonton Police gave you the Province of Albertas official rules regarding motorized bicycles and it doesn't mean you?

Riding around the city on an illegal bike makes it OK? How is it a moped? Are you are on the list of approved moped makers that the federal government has because you need to be for it to be legal. Did you apply a vin number and a manufactureers plate to your bike because you need one to be legal.

Be mature??? Think you need to look up the meaning.

Steve.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
There is a difference between a disagreement and an attack, having read this thread I see no personal slight, insult, or any other offensive statement.

All members are free to post a conflicting point of view provided it's done in a civil fashion, as all members are equally free to not reply to a point of they don't wish to debate it.

Should disagreements escalate to actual insult, staff will take action as described in our rules: http://motorbicycling.com/f21/please-read-these-simple-rules-2.html