Am i legal or not in Queensland, Australia?

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hey guys, i need help with something...... upon first reading our laws on motroized bikes i thought they were legal, then sometime after i re-read the laws and believed them to be illegal, then someone led me to believe they were legal..... then the other night i re-re-read them and im thinking im illegally riding my "combustion engine" motorized bicycle.

Im a little confused as the wording isnt 100%clear.

Do you think that all electric and internal combustion engines under 200 watts are legal?

Or do you think that internal combustion engines are illegal, and electric engines under 200 watts are legal?

So far i have ridden my bikes with no trouble for the police, and last night i printed out the laws to carry with me in case i came across a policeman that had it in for me and wouldnt believe me...... but if they are illegal ill still ride my bike but i wont carry the rules with me.

Any help would be appreciated.....

Heres the link

Motorised foot scooters and motorised bicycles (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I have many friends in Oz, and almost moved there twice. Hence, I've done a lot of research about laws there. From everything I've read, the 200-watt limit affects petrol engines and elec motors both.

A telling example might be the fact that RockSolidEngines out there sells a certified 200-watt version of the 2-stroke. Link: 50cc 200 Watt Engine Kit

Edit: you're probably over the limit, but if you ride responsibly, you can probably fly under the radar. It helps that your bike looks like a classic machine.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
l wish you were right Aleman, but im thinking they are illiegal, at least in my state.

The laws arent worded as well it should be and i believe opens up to confusion. But in the rules it does say a couple things that believe me to them being illegal:

"A motorised bicycle is a bicycle to which an electric motor is attached"

" It is illegal to ride a bicycle on roads or road-related areas (such as paths) if the bicycle has an internal combustion engine (for example, a petrol or diesel motor) attached or an electric motor which is capable of generating more than 200 watts"

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah the way it reads suggests they are illegal, but it really should be worded more clearly...... Anyways it wont stop me riding my bike, but maybe now ill be a little more low key...... and maybe ill stop my daily riding past the police station on my ride LOL

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
The concept of a motor assisted bike is legal BUT they must be less than 200 watts.There is NOT a petrol power bike in the world that is under 200 watts.

In short they are illegal.The law is very confusing and lets hope it stays that way as the police are confused as well.

The only people that I know of that have been busted have been doing something to draw the attention the the police eg: not wearing a helmet,riding on footpaths,being drunk or just playing the fool.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Ive had plenty of sightings from the police riding my bike.... but all ive received so far are a few stunned looks and one cop actually gave me the thumbs up.... so i think ill just keep riding until the cops or the courts stop me.... then i might go to the darkside (electric)