my Engine won't start!!!! help

GoldenMotor.com

michael5le

Sep 12, 2011
United States
hi yall, i recently got a 2 stroke 49cc grubbe engine kit. installed everythiing properly and all. I got it running about twice for like 5 minutes but it was bogging down when i went to full throttle. but it figured it was because of the break in period. Anywho, when i turned it off my friend saw that a crap ton of gas was pouring out of the overflow valve. We took it apart adjusted the float, which took a few tries but i think i got it right and reinstalled. now it won't freaking start!!!!!!! When i turn the wheel with the clutch engaged the engine makes noises( piston moves and what not, sounds like its getting spark) and i can smell gas from the exhaust but it wont accelerate and it just makes this dying acceleration noise when i engage the throttle and it just slows down and dies.

I took off the kill switch, and tightened the clutch buut it won't start.

Is it clogged/ not getting enough gas (when i checked the spark plug again, it was pretty clean but wet)

should i clean the carb.

I hear air leaking from the spark plug when i slowly turn the wheel.

is it flooded, if so how do i fix such a problem

Helppppp before i hang myself!!!:-||:-||:-||:-||:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It sounds horribly flooded. Remove the spark plug, turn off the fuel valve, hold the throttle wide open and keep it there. Now pedal it around like you are trying to start the engine and just let all the air cycle through it. It will eventually dry out and you can start it again.

If you are concerned about holding the throttle wide open while doing this, here's why you do it that way. When the engine is spinning slowly as in starting speeds, the intake air flow through the carburetor is too slow to allow any fuel to get picked up as it passes through the carburetor when the throttle is wide open. The venturi is just to large.
When the throttle is closed or nearly closed, the venturi is much smaller and the passing intake air will pick up fuel and you will be doing yourself no favor by adding fuel to an all ready flooded engine.

michael5le

Sep 12, 2011
United States
oh snaps, okay i will try this. It must be noted that i did get it started earlier that day for like 5 seconds but it was inside my home (fumes everywhere) and i choked it to shut it off. but I will try drying it off.

EggsOnBass

Feb 18, 2013
Portland
I had the same problem which brought me to this post. Im gonna try the same thing and hopefully it gets me a happy ending as well.