Gotta See

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have seen pictures in mechanic illustrated of this kind of scooter. Those were ww2 home front vehicles for defense plant workers who lived a mile or so from the plant. Very interesting item. Way more money than I can part with but interesting nonetheless.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I dont think the one I saw folded but it was that same square utilitarian design. I bet we could build one using kid's bike wheels and a serious tiller motor. Might not fold down but would be a cool little ride

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I dont think the one I saw folded but it was that same square utilitarian design. I bet we could build one using kid's bike wheels and a serious tiller motor. Might not fold down but would be a cool little ride
Deacon,
You might be onto something. The body design might also work good for an electric bike. Would be room for a big battery. I can also see it as a trike ... maybe with the dual wheels in front.? Now I'm getting carried away again!
.trk.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
LOL the little wheels are kinda cute just to get from one place to another. Wonder what we would have to do to make it a bike so they wouldn't throw it off the road. Put a sprocket that looked like it worked

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay a miniature ice cream truck with sixteen inch fork you know the old 1940 neighborhood three wheeler the ice cream holder in the back would be the seat. good humor man in mini

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
LOL the little wheels are kinda cute just to get from one place to another. Wonder what we would have to do to make it a bike so they wouldn't throw it off the road. Put a sprocket that looked like it worked
Maybe paste some cardboard Vespa sillouettes on each side?!
;)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
now for a serious question.
If a kid's trike can be pedaled from a crank built into the front wheel, and if you were going to build a miniature good humor trike, could you put a crank on the front fork inside the wheel.

Then use one of my hang on motors as a drive motor. and the box under the seat to store the batteries. Use it for parades and such. Not touch the front wheel pedals often but have them available to keep it in the bicycle rules and out of the moped rules.

I very, very seldom use my pedals now on the faux trike except maybe to start it at the very beginning. Maybe use a front wheel like this one. URBAN X STREET MONSTER BIKE TRIKE BIG WHEEL TRICYCLE - eBay (item 390116227557 end time Nov-13-09 20:52:09 PST)Sixteen inches on a twenty inch bike frame, to rear wheels from a sixteen inch bike, using the coaster wheel with one of my 600 watt hang on motors running at 900 watts.

The problem with a do it yourself trike has always been the pedal drive system, what if you just used a front wheel crank and a rear wheel drive system only. No rear chair or sprocket except for the motor hanging on one of the rear wheels. I wonder if a one piece crank would fit inside and emptied out coaster brake wheel.

Now you have me thinking again a dangerous thing...

Last edited:

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I suspect you would have to be a serious leg mutant to pedal such a thing. There would be no mechanical advantage supplied by gearing. The reason a kids trike works is that they aren't moving much weight and are usually on a flat surface.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I suspect you would have to be a serious leg mutant to pedal such a thing. There would be no mechanical advantage supplied by gearing. The reason a kids trike works is that they aren't moving much weight and are usually on a flat surface.
I think it would be mostly to keep it legally a bike. Here you need to have working pedals for it to be a bike. Still they might do something for it lol. I am not married to that idea though.

I think the trick would be to keep the wheel as small as possible and sit as far forward as possible. After all it is a mini. I don't know I have also gone back to the idea of making a diy generator to help power my e bikes

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
now for a serious question.
If a kid's trike can be pedaled from a crank built into the front wheel, and if you were going to build a miniature good humor trike, could you put a crank on the front fork inside the wheel.

Then use one of my hang on motors as a drive motor. and the box under the seat to store the batteries. Use it for parades and such. Not touch the front wheel pedals often but have them available to keep it in the bicycle rules and out of the moped rules.

I very, very seldom use my pedals now on the faux trike except maybe to start it at the very beginning. Maybe use a front wheel like this one. URBAN X STREET MONSTER BIKE TRIKE BIG WHEEL TRICYCLE - eBay (item 390116227557 end time Nov-13-09 20:52:09 PST)Sixteen inches on a twenty inch bike frame, to rear wheels from a sixteen inch bike, using the coaster wheel with one of my 600 watt hang on motors running at 900 watts.

The problem with a do it yourself trike has always been the pedal drive system, what if you just used a front wheel crank and a rear wheel drive system only. No rear chair or sprocket except for the motor hanging on one of the rear wheels. I wonder if a one piece crank would fit inside and emptied out coaster brake wheel.

Now you have me thinking again a dangerous thing...
Deacon,
I think I see where you're going. Cool. I just don't have the smarts or know-how to give any meaningful input here (I run into this problem a lot!). But, as they say, it's got potential. I'll just state the obvious ... as long as it's safe, leagal and fun, you can't go too far wrong. Will be glad to cheer you on from the peanut gallery.
.trk.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Actually the unicycle or the big wheel would work just fine. I would probably have to make an A-dapt-ter of some kind lol...

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Do they have training wheels for uni-cycles? I might need some just till I get the hang of it. Oh wait ... they call that a bi-cycle don't they?!
.trk.

Last edited: