Texas Tarantulas

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Back in the mid 70's mom and dad bought a motorhome, dad took three monts off of work and we toured around out west staying mostly in state or national parks. I remember one time in particular we went to a wildlife film they were having at the campground somewhere in Arizona which ended up being about the little critters like scorpions and tarantulas. I was 6 at the time and after the movie dad had to carry me back to the motorhome because there was NO WAY that I was walking back in the dark barefoot. laff

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i was never in texas long enough to see wild life when i was on tour with some bands, but when we slept on some huge red rock at a rest stop in new mexico we saw some snakes and spiders, and in sedona arazona we killed five rattlers that we're under the bus, and i killed a tarantula. it was exciting. i also almost rode a dirt bike off a cliff earlier that day. good times....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
Come to Colorado some time. I'll show you tarantulas...and like you, before I moved here in 79 I thought they only were where Tarzan lived. Yuk...I hate spiders...:(
Tom

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Mike,
Come to Colorado some time. I'll show you tarantulas...and like you, before I moved here in 79 I thought they only were where Tarzan lived. Yuk...I hate spiders...:(
Tom
Tom,
Tarantulas in Colorado?! Oh no, say it ain't so ... this just gets worser and worser!

Kevlarr,
I understand how you felt when you were 6 ... and I'm over 60!
Mike
.trk.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I had a neighbor in Roswell NM let one of them critters walk up his arm...I used to catch horny taods when I was little too they are on an endangered list now. I wouldn't kill a rattler or a tarantula they both pretty much eat mice.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I had a neighbor in Roswell NM let one of them critters walk up his arm...I used to catch horny taods when I was little too they are on an endangered list now. I wouldn't kill a rattler or a tarantula they both pretty much eat mice.
I wouldn't mind if mice ate tarantulas! :) (Just kidding George ... I know what you mean.)

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Texas's most unusual critters walk on 2 legs. I didnt know CO had tarantulas, knew tx did. I was a victim of a tx tarantula once and have never regained my original color back.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Texas's most unusual critters walk on 2 legs. I didnt know CO had tarantulas, knew tx did. I was a victim of a tx tarantula once and have never regained my original color back.
Bandito,
Ever camped out in Pueblo? If you do, you'll see tarantulas. I've never seen one around Denver but they were all over the beach at Pueblo Reservoir. You had to sleep off the ground or they'd crawl into your sleeping bags.....uuuuuuuuh. I hate spiders! I slept in my car.
Tom

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
first of Sept the tarantula will be moving you can find them every where I caught one about the size of my hand took it to Mo. to my sister who teaches school they kept it in a tank and the kids would catch grass hoppers and feed the spider.
She asked me how long the spider would live I looked it up and they live up to 20 years so I had to take the spider home back to Texas I returned it to the place I found it. Only spider I've known that got a third grade education.
Horny toads are all over they would sit in the middle of the gravel roads eating ants fun to take a horny toad to a big ant hill kick the hill and turn the toad loose sort of like Godzilla in the movies
There is a fairly large lizard here that will get up and run on its hind legs funny to watch it go.
Roadrunner are common to see, once one got into my work truck that was a surprise heard something in the truck looked over my shoulder and stared nose to beak with the bird I got out of the truck and the bird did to. those birds are a little crazy.
Coyotes are common to see day or night go for a ride out into the country stop the Harley turn off the engine and you can hear them howling sounds like kids playing off in the distance.
I live where the deer and the antelope play and the skies are not cloudy all day home home on the deranged.laff

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Norman I delivered car tires to the Wal-Mart there and Dumas about 6 years ago...you is right if you are in Pampa you is either real bad lost or there is a reason you are there. Nice quiet town.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If I want to see tarantulas I can just go to my sisters house, she has a few and some other stuff like scorpions, ferrets, and a 10 second Nova.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, my little sister (the one who got me to get my first tattoo, and got me to jump out of a perfectly good plane among other things) has a 71 Nova with a Pontiac 421 and a Turbo 400. It is an automatic, but still pulls the wheels when the light turns green. She has a room full of trophies from Thompson Drag Raceway, Norwalk Dragway 42 and a couple of others. She and her husband built it from a "parts car".

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Yes, my little sister (the one who got me to get my first tattoo, and got me to jump out of a perfectly good plane among other things) has a 71 Nova with a Pontiac 421 and a Turbo 400. It is an automatic, but still pulls the wheels when the light turns green. She has a room full of trophies from Thompson Drag Raceway, Norwalk Dragway 42 and a couple of others. She and her husband built it from a "parts car".
Novas are cool. I almost bought a 1977 brand new but ended up with a Malibu. Wish I had either one today!
.trk.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
first of Sept the tarantula will be moving you can find them every where I caught one about the size of my hand took it to Mo. to my sister who teaches school they kept it in a tank and the kids would catch grass hoppers and feed the spider.
She asked me how long the spider would live I looked it up and they live up to 20 years so I had to take the spider home back to Texas I returned it to the place I found it. Only spider I've known that got a third grade education.
Horny toads are all over they would sit in the middle of the gravel roads eating ants fun to take a horny toad to a big ant hill kick the hill and turn the toad loose sort of like Godzilla in the movies
There is a fairly large lizard here that will get up and run on its hind legs funny to watch it go.
Roadrunner are common to see, once one got into my work truck that was a surprise heard something in the truck looked over my shoulder and stared nose to beak with the bird I got out of the truck and the bird did to. those birds are a little crazy.
Coyotes are common to see day or night go for a ride out into the country stop the Harley turn off the engine and you can hear them howling sounds like kids playing off in the distance.
I live where the deer and the antelope play and the skies are not cloudy all day home home on the deranged.laff
Norman,
You and George got my curiosity up so I just took a Google street tour through Pampa, TX and out Ranch Road 749. Wow ... there is a WHOLE LOT of acreage out there! The deer and the antelope have plenty of room to play. Three cheers for Texas!
Mike
.trk.

Last edited: