Different Style Tanks?

GoldenMotor.com

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Oh man, did you make those wood fenders? If you didn't, where'd you get them? If you did, here's a thought. How'bout wood lams for the gas tank? Not saying the gas tank is ugly. I like it. Just thought a wood accent for the tank would really look good. I saw your bike and was thinking I had some koa stashed away somewhere. I could mill the boards to make lams for a fitted gas tank as my PB project progresses. Sure wish I were still doing sheetmetal. :( Now I gotta find someone who can make me a custom fitted tank. That's going to hurt. :(
No, I didn't make the fenders. Got them from Woodys Custom Cycling Fenders

Cody's a good guy

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
anyone wanted to make the tank invisable
put it inside the tube metal of your bike
my geus it would be placed at the top of the bike with a small gas cap on it
would look very sick
hmmm i might try doing this
just stay away from the cops
not a licened gas tank
still think it would be awsome

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they install Windows

anyone want to tell this guy to get linux

ubuntu 9.04

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Just a quick ?? about tank has any one tried converting one of those Hienakeen kegs into a tank I think that would be wild

Cookie

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
It would also be nice if they would tell what the volume of the tank is. I'm not paying that kind of money for the same half-gallon tank.

ghentcruisers

May 28, 2009
Nofolk, VA
Thanks for the plug RedB66. I'm anticipating that these tanks will hold between 3/4th and a full gallon. I can't be absolutely sure yet. The price of $89 is just an estimate, it may be higher or lower. Cabinfever1977, I totally understand your reasoning behind comparing the price of the tank to the kits. I do too. In defense, I want to bring quality parts into the MAB market so the idea as a whole gets a better reputation. I know the kits are cheap but it's clear what you get from them. So, ultimately I'm going to make them as cheap as I can while keeping the manufacturing in the US. That's important to me. I want to help the progress of the MAB market with good design and options that are of decent quality. I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. Also, attached the pics of the tank.

Attachments

ghentcruisers

May 28, 2009
Nofolk, VA
I'm thinking it'll probably come raw like most aftermarket tanks so the end user can decide how to paint it. I may paint a number of them black. But in the end, I don't want to limit or deter people with color options.

80ccisme

Sep 2, 2008
Horsham,Pennsylvania
I'm thinking it'll probably come raw like most aftermarket tanks so the end user can decide how to paint it. I may paint a number of them black. But in the end, I don't want to limit or deter people with color options.
Excellent work Ghentcruisers!!! I predict that when you are up and running,the interest in these tanks will skyrocket.Personally,I think your philosophy is spot on.I just signed on to your e-mail list.Great to have you join us.

Markus

Hi5

Jun 2, 2009
San Jose
Thanks for the plug RedB66. I'm anticipating that these tanks will hold between 3/4th and a full gallon. I can't be absolutely sure yet. The price of $89 is just an estimate, it may be higher or lower. Cabinfever1977, I totally understand your reasoning behind comparing the price of the tank to the kits. I do too. In defense, I want to bring quality parts into the MAB market so the idea as a whole gets a better reputation. I know the kits are cheap but it's clear what you get from them. So, ultimately I'm going to make them as cheap as I can while keeping the manufacturing in the US. That's important to me. I want to help the progress of the MAB market with good design and options that are of decent quality. I'd love to hear any ideas that you guys have. Also, attached the pics of the tank.
Slick looking tank. Kinda curious on how they are being built. Are they being stamped out?

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
That is a sweet looking tank, and even at that price I would definitly order one. Trouble is you will find on this site people are used to getting these Chinese parts so cheap they would be hard to sell.
I build all my own parts (Very time consuming) so when someone asks about something and I quote them a price of about a fourth of what a regular Machine Shop would charge they usually still think it is to high! Just a thought.

John

Hi5

Jun 2, 2009
San Jose
I'm having manufacturers quote it on a number of processes. We'll see what they come up with.
I have a friend who stamped his own tanks (for motorcycles) and I know tooling costs isn't cheap. You're looking at least 10K just for the die. Some friendly advice, if you do go with stamping them, make sure there is enough demand for the tanks so you at least break even. Hydroforming is another option but we never officially got a quote. I myself want to contribute to the motor bike community and explored a bunch of avenues for custom parts being made. And through what I've found, it's for the love for the hobby and not for the profit, which is fine by me. :)

If you need a few places that can build you tanks. Send me a PM.

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Just a quick ?? about tank has any one tried converting one of those Hienakeen kegs into a tank I think that would be wild

Cookie
DANG!! Those mini kegs would make awesome gas tanks. They're aluminum and in order to use them, you'd have to drink all the beer inside. WIN WIN!!! You have to be real careful with the welding and tig it, or something. Hmmm.... let's see there.....

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
mmmkay, did some paint shop editing.

The circles represent the mini kegs, and on the third the white piece is the keg. These are rough proportions obviously.

bike1.JPG

bike2.JPG

bike3.JPG