Should my throttle have tension/ go back to the original starting position?

GoldenMotor.com

michaelbikin

Jul 9, 2015
New Hampshire
Should my throttle go back to the original 0% throttle position when I let go of it? It is now doing that now, and before I start riding it I want to make sure it'll work right.. Any ideas on how to do this? Also, my drill is for some reason not drilling through the handlebar so I need to figure out how to get the throttle on all the way, or should I get rid of the bolt in the top of the throttle so I can just screw it on without worrying about a hole for it to go through?

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Hi man,
You probably need a new drill bit, the cheap steel in these bars is hard stuff.
You'll be glad you drill that hole, it keeps the throttle assembly from rotating around the bar instead of operating the throttle right. To compensate you will probably overtighten the clamp screws and crack it, then have to deal with that.
You might as well drill that hole.

The throttle should return smoothly to idle. The first thing to check is that the slide is in the barrel right, the slide has a a slot for the guide pin in the barrel. If it isn't right it will stick for sure. The second thing would be a kink or too tight a bend in your throttle cable, the third being the cable not in the 'thimble' right (thanks goes out to 2door), that's the pulley doodad in the throttle housing.

They make cable lube, but graphite or even motor oil can be used to slick up the cable. The inner cable pulls right out of the housing, wipe it with oil and put it back in.
EDIT: In fact it occurred to me that the throttle locating pin sticking out with no hole is binding that thimble in some way, causing the problem. Check that first. ;)
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the part on the throttle tube where the cable end goes in is actually called the throttle cam. I do not believe that the the term thimble is correct.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the part on the throttle tube where the cable end goes in is actually called the throttle cam. I do not believe that the the term thimble is correct.
Maybe you should do some research. And why do you feel it necessary to argue with everyone on every issue?

Personally, I like 'doodad'. That covers it no matter what it is. And, 'thingy' works too

Tom

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
'Widget' seems to get the point across as well.
Of course, if you really wanna show people how ignorant they are, and how you know just simply everything, 'discombobulator' is the go to term.
They'll never see it coming ;)

Anybody got some spare flight line and a box of grid squares I can borrow?

michaelbikin- Yes. Your throttle should return to idle when released. Make sure that it is mounted and adjusted properly, and if that doesn't fix your problem, Slogger gave you some other good ideas. I prefer graphite over oil so that gunk doesn't build up, but it really hasn't been much of an issue with the ones' I've used oil on.

Good luck!

Last edited:

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
Maybe you should do some research. And why do you feel it necessary to argue with everyone on every issue?

Personally, I like 'doodad'. That covers it no matter what it is. And, 'thingy' works too

Tom
I tried to Google throttle thimble, but none of the results that came up matched what the term was being used to describe here. If you happen to know a link which shows the term thimble being used in this manner, please feel free to show me how my research has failed me.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Tom

The preferred term down here is "hootus". I haven't googled it as I'm scared of what will flash on my screen thingy.

dtv5403

May 4, 2015
USA
I have OCD and ADD, so I guess I have a penchant for proper terminology and an inability to keep my trap shut. Meh.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
not sure what surging means here, but if revs are not coming down or rising unexpectedly, it could be air leak at carb mount