friction kit tire wear

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Well, it's friction drive, what do you think? Anything that powers a wheel is going to make the tire on that wear faster. Friction drive is doubly so.

As long as you run a good tire with thick treads like a CST C1218, it should last awhile.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I think in most cases it really comes down to the type of tire you use. My stock cheap bike tires on an $80 bike lasted a couple hundred miles while my Kenda brand tires have last so far 2,500 miles with a frame mount kit. I would like to believe a friction mount kit would divide that in half because you have double the rubbing on the tires between the ground and the friction drive itself, but I can't say I have experienced it personally. Tires would still last quite a bit, just not as long as a normal chain drive.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Is an excellent question, DirtWarrior.

First time I rode one, was the first thing I asked when we got back. But man are they fun to ride. All the noise, fumes and vibes are behind you. They easily convert back to a regular bicycle with no chain or belt drag. Keeps regular pedals. So pretty awesome to get you to a park or bike trail. All around, a great MB.

I forget who but there is a supplier who sells (or sold) polyurethane rollers but I never heard much about em or tried one. Some one will know.

Are you thinking of building one?

Some detractors say the center of gravity with the drive above the wheel is a negative. But really don't seem to matter just puttering around on roads and I figure my 175 lbs is already on top. Also think the mount would be a great place to mount a rack.

cvlt1.dd.daxtit

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
The kit I am getting is from Dimension Edge with the honda 100 cc engine. The 100cc engine will only rev to 3600rpm while the honda 50 will rev to 7000 rpm.
With the same rollers will the 100cc be much slower?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
About half as fast, DW.

I would give them a call or an email. The 100 might be to heavy.
I couldn't enlarge the pictures on their web site but nothing looked like the 100. But I only skimmed thru.

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
We are emailing each other for a while about the kit. He would have to make new mounts etc.
Would the 100 live longer since the rpm is lower.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just know these are only my thoughts and opinions. I am in no way an expert. But an engine governed at around 75% has a much easier life, so yes. It should live longer. But not really an issue with 4 strokes in general and most especially with Hondas. The manual for my 50 states I should expect 600 hrs out of her. Have 2ce that if not more.

All that really is just MVHO and experience. I just don't want you making any decisions based on my thoughts.

Another thought, (and only a thought) if you go with the 50, you don't have to go with the expense of special made parts and if she does die some day, could replace with a HS, Honda clone for cheap(er) if needed.

But am sure my GXH50 and wife are gonna out live me. Both, just for spite, snork.

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
I went ahead and ordered the dimension edge kit with the honda 50. He has the templents already for this kit so it should be easier to make instead of custom fab work for the honda 100. Yes, I am intregued by the 100cc engine and my someday put one in when the honda 50 dies.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I think you will be happy, DW. Is a really amazing, kick butt powerplant.

If ya live on the dark and north side of a mountain and more needed a tree climber, the 100 would be a possibly good choice. With the 50, MPG is gonna be much better, too.

And your legal CC wise for road use. All around a good choice, me thinks.

Bigger is not necessarily better. All about need and application.

Please post lots of pics and a review. Looking forward to seeing your build!

Last edited:

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
Thanks and I will post pictures also. I think I will be happy with the engine choice.
I saw a 100cc lifan engine. What are lifan like?
I heard some clones use plastic cams etc. or the finish is not so good.
BTW lifan has a 35cc small engine but not a 50cc

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, your kill'n me, dirtwarior. Just and exactly like me. Your not done with this build but wondering about your next.

Honestly, that is my personal worst trait. When I do that to myself, which is often, I say this to my self to center and slow my self down; "Focus GrassHopper, screw the pebble" wut? works 4 me.

Honestly, slow and steady when planning and building. Finish this work. learn and absorb. Next comes later.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang, I was not real fun there. Sorry DW. Hadn't slept in a couple of days. Got some cool work done though.

I have never had a Lifan but folks who I really trust speak highly of them. Definitely on my wish/later list.

When is your kit due? Can be really ruf waiting but that just makes it fun-ner-er when ya get it.

dirtwarrior

Aug 29, 2014
kentucky
I sent the cashier check (bank would not let me use credit card for the purchase) they ordered the engine and making the parts. So soon I hope.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
I think you will be happy, DW. Is a really amazing, kick butt powerplant.

If ya live on the dark and north side of a mountain and more needed a tree climber, the 100 would be a possibly good choice. With the 50, MPG is gonna be much better, too.

And your legal CC wise for road use. All around a good choice, me thinks.

Bigger is not necessarily better. All about need and application.

Please post lots of pics and a review. Looking forward to seeing your build!
Actually, depending on the state, under 35 cc is 'legal' for not needing a moto license or registration/insurance.

There are some smaller Honda and Subaru 4 strokes, plus the Tanaka 33cc engine. HuangShen has come out with a 38 cc 4 stroke just recently, it has my attention as it's set up for the GEBE and Stanton standards of 74 mm diameter clutch bell.