Most advantageous motor assisted bicycle license?

GoldenMotor.com

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
4 folks like me, trolling 4 EZ, nationally recognized licensing, wouldn't the $19 Cal license plate B the best 2 acquire? Least lights, no bill of sale, no insurance requirement (as I recall - feel free 2 correct me), good forever and ever. I would also think that it would be the most "respectable" in other states. And, my son is a home owning Google software engineer, so I could use his hoity toity Pacific Heights address.

IM guessing that many motor assisted bicycle owners R either retired or, like me, R working 12/7 for weeks, and then get many weeks off. So, when we wander and camp, we want an motor assisted bicycle 4 day trips that won't get ticketed/impounded.

Your thoughts?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The might wonder why you're using a CA license plate on a vehicle that typically doesn't travel cross-country. The CA moped/motorized bicycle registration is relatively pain free, but I don't think the local police in Missouri would accept it for very long unless you made up some fantastic story about a cross country road trip and also had a CA motorcycle license to go along with it.

I'd check out your local laws and get a local plate, and maybe check out the laws on Goped stand up scooters, you could argue that you have a big goped if you motorized a bike 20" or smaller and affixed a floorboard of some kind.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Thx 16v4nrbgr. But FI was in, say, New Mexico 4 2 weeks in a campground, what's the difference between the Missouri plates on my truck and the Cal plates on my motor assisted bicycle. "IM just borrowing the (legally permitted) motor assisted bicycle from my son". Haven't researched NM laws, so this might B a poor example, but U get the point.

I DO get your good point about my home state. Plate off here - not required.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
If you're camping, you might want to check out the states off road vehicle requirements. A street legal motorized bike may not be legal without an OHV sticker in some places. you also might need a spark arrester exhaust.

You might also see what the registration requirements are for mopeds in your state. flag down the old couple in their winnebago with the honda trail 70 on the back and ask them... :)

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
We could certainly pass 4 that old couple ourselves.... I understand your thoughtful reference 2 OHV requirements and thank U4 it. But we don't want 2 ride on any designated bike paths, OHV paths, or any roads not legal 4 our truck. Just public camp roads and maybe the country roads 2 the nearest town.
Our Bikee E2/Gx35 tandem recumbent is NOT a moped and never will B. But it IS a legal motor assisted bicycle (small enough motor, auto trans, under 20 m/h, front and rear lights) in many places. I just want 2 use it legally in as many states, and in as many parts of those states, as we legally can.
That's why IM asking folks 4 their experiences - their must B some.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I say just ride responsibly, obey traffic laws and wear a helmet (or helmets being a tandem) and all should be well. I live in California and the local police just want you to wear a helmet and don't ride like and idiot. It's pretty simple.

Just my 2 cents and years of riding motor assisted bicycles worry and hassle free......

.wee.

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Thx scotto, good advice, and bears repeating. Assume U have the $19 tag - is that right?

Lived in Santa Maria many years (helipad 4 the offshore platforms), and it and many other central coast communities had motor assisted bicycles and nice streets and common sense law enforcement. Also the Cal Poly SLO area, where my son took his Comp. Sci. lessons.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thx scotto, good advice, and bears repeating. Assume U have the $19 tag - is that right?
Actually I don't.....I never had a reason to get one yet....there is a loophole if you are a builder however. But I have always had an M-1 motorcycle license and I do wear a DOT approved helmet when I ride......never been asked for the license when pulled over however.....

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I have unfortunately... on my chopper, but fortunately I was plated up and had all my papers so I was all good.