Colson Resurrected (again....)

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
as many of you who've been around here a while know, my first custom build was a 1940's 24" colson cruiser. here's a picture story of the last 5 years of it's long life...

this was how it looked when i got it:

it had a friendly "rustoration" build off with silverbear and barely awake and became this:

then this:

after 10,000 miles or so it looked like this:

then the little bastard tried to kill me.

after flipping end over end a few times from 40mph it looked like this:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
while i looked like this:

when i healed up enough to move, i rebuilt the bike and rode it once, then put it away in the garage. i had it up for sale a few times with no takers, and it was just wasting away, so i decided it was time for it to become a bicycle again.

spent all day taking off all the motor stuff and putting most of the stock parts back on. all i need to find are some 70 year old rims so i can take off my worksmans, and it'll be a sweet old classic again. :)

it's also a good argument for those purists that think a motor will ruin a classic bike. over 10,000 miles, a life-altering crash, and it's got nothing but a few more scratches to show for it.

and now i can ride it on the boardwalk, without a license, a helmet, or a shirt, and not worry about it trying to murder me again... :)

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Cool baby! Gave me a big case of chuckles - :) You Rock!

Bumble on down the boardwalk and smile. Not to mention the string bikini girls will smile back at you.

Gotta love S CA.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good to see the Colson again. That rustoration buildoff was a good experience. I learned a lot from you and Barely and consider it one of the best things that has happened to me through this forum.
SB

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well I am glad that both of you survived the colossal cartwheel incident.
Perhaps the Colson just wanted to be pedal powered all along?
Either way it sure was (when it had an engine) and still is a beautiful bike.
Are you keeping it?