Won"t idle when stopping

GoldenMotor.com

tommer2

May 7, 2011
Dahlonega, Georgia
Need some help. My Whizzer runs very well, starts easy,idles great on the stand and pulls strong all the way to about 35 mph. When i pull up to stop it won't idle when i pull the clutch in to stop. I guess the belt doesn't slip enough? Is my front belt to tight? Thanks for the input.:-||

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
HI ok, good, wanted to know what we are looking at. I like to put back wheel up on the stand, engine off, pull in clutch, and turn rear wheel to feel if that front belt has released nicely. the belts do seem to get more "grippy" when warmed up, so do a hot and cold test.

Maybe the idle mixture needs to be adjusted (hot) but check belt first. IF idle jet needs to be adjusted, turn in till it begine to carp out, back out to very best then back in 1/8 to 1/4 turn.

Mike

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
If you still question some kind of clutch not releasing fully, if not too much trouble remove belt from engine. Then see if with absolute no load will it idle.

I looked at your threads in your profile and am not sure if this is the first the bike has been tested. Did it ever idle?

Although I’m using a different engine than you (Briggs & Stratton 80202-0430), I’ll mention my experience with it as I had an idling problem with it only after switching a vacu-jet carburetor to gravity feed carburetor.

I needed an air filter for this different gravity feed carburetor. I reused what I had lying around. I had a perfectly clean foam type air filter, but found it did not provide enough air flow required to idle.

I got the proper pleated paper type air filter holder used on Ebay. It uses a very thin foam pre-filter and the pleated paper filter and includes a primer bulb.

It then ran fine. I had a hunch the air filter could have been the problem when at windless time of day I tried in a non-dusty area, just for short while the engine running without an air filter.

It idled and ran to top end fine. Just note scoring the piston and cylinder is at risk if running without an air filter, so this was controlled environment and temporary test only.

That's quite a nice machine you have put together! I expect you'll get it solved.

MT