Question about throttles??

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I have searched on here and have yet to find a definitive answer about thumb throttles. They seem to work for some. I have had 4wheelers my whole life growing up, and just recently (within the past couple years) have gotten rid of them. So, I am familiar with thumb throttles.

Do any of you guys have any opinions, pros, or cons about them?

I have found this one. Seems like it will fit 7/8 bars.
http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/Throttle_for_ATV_p/atth302915.htm

Also, will the standard kit cable work? Or, will I have to purchase a special one?

Thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
They have been discussed and used many times. The only issue that I've always been concerned about was using the ones that could be used like cruise control. That means they didn't have a spring return to idle. My opinion of those is that they are dangerous for a motorized bike, or a motorized anything actually. I want my throttle to go to idle immediately and not have to fumble looking for a release button or to manually turn a lever. Just my opinion.
Nevertheless those who use them seem to prefer them over a twistgrip.

Tom

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
I've been using a thumb throttle on my electric bicycle for some time now. As a motorcycle rider, I thought I'd be unhappy with it (it came with the motor kit). But, in reality, it works well for the type of riding I use it for (relatively level/smooth pavement and dirt trials).

The biggest problem imo with thumb, and twist, throttles in bicycle motor kit "world" is that they're pretty cheaply made (which is common with many "kit" throttles). This, of course, can leave you broken-down somewhere, or even injured due to the twist thrott tube shearing off and then slipping off the end of the bars (I plan on installing a secure bar-end cap on my twist throttle setups that will keep this from happening).

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the reply 2door. I was just tossing around the idea in my head. I think I am going to stick with my billet aluminum hoca throttle. I have had good luck with them in the past and are much better quality than the normal plastic twist grips.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
use one from an old hoda atc 200... i have 2 from two old three wheelers i converted to twist throttles. they fit my bars just fine and hook right up but idk iam 50/50 on it lol they work real good for off roading and racing !

i actualy have the whole shabang the thumb throttle cable and 21mm mikuni carb .... was going to try it out but ehh the carb seems too big for the little china girl plus the other carb the 27mm mikuni is a dual cable carb as it has a boost jet in it for more low end power. its a round slide and a leaver that opens a secondary main jet at the same time and its adjustable. i use those on my 3 wheelers they give way more power so i had to convert my 2 3 wheelers to dual cable twist.

Last edited: