Weeee!!! Snap! Awwww!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

whosworkinthegrill

Oct 21, 2008
San Clemente, Ca.
Well Iv'e logged about 100 miles on my M.B. and then Snap! the studs to my motor mount sheared off right at the engine.:( Now ive got to get some easy outs and look for some better bolts than stock.
The good news is that it is a blast to ride and it does about 30mph.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Stainless allthread works really well; don't over tighten. Another way to keep tight w/o over tight is to use 2 nuts on each stud i.e. locknut.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Dan, does everything hold at that torque? Loctite or no?

Honestly, I don't use a torque wrench. I tighten slowly until I get to that "certain resistance".

I do strip a lot of the original stuff.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Stainless is not hardened it is softer than regular steel which makes it tougher and less brittle. but don't use it in high torque apps (kit sprocket) as it likes to gall and once it does you won't get it apart w/o breaking it. Use Grade 8 on the sprocket, but SS works well on all the motor threads.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dan, does everything hold at that torque? Loctite or no?

Honestly, I don't use a torque wrench. I tighten slowly until I get to that "certain resistance".

I do strip a lot of the original stuff.
Naw, nope Joe. But nothing strips. Although I have lost a motor mount or three. I retighten them the moment they fall off. Have yet to try loctite, but hear good things.
Used the TW more to learn what the right resistance was and felt like. I couldn't tell you where my torque wrench is right now. Have read many things about proper torque. I am sure there is good reason to be more exacting. It just works for me. A wile back, I wanted to sell a tool kit just for MB building and was going to include a torque wrench, but for the most part think they are surpurfulous. Striping, snapping and general over tightening is reported a lot though. (That might be a good thread, "common first build mistakes, we all done 'em")

Didn't mean to ramble on your thread Whoisworkin, sorry.

Last edited:

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada
Just a suggested bit of advice to any newbie out there is to replace all the nuts and bolts on these chinese engines BEFORE putting it on a bike,engine mount bolts most importantly.Replace all the bolts on clutch cover,sprocket cover and case halves with hardened steel metric capscrews. Loctite blue on every single bolt you see. Do this and you will not have ANY problems with stripped or loosened lost nuts and bolts.Mac