Wheel/Rim covers?

GoldenMotor.com

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I remember being 11 or so and having this cool chrome bmxer with white wheel covers. I go on a google binge and turn up some on eBay and black ones at choppersus,but only for twenties. I found some bike polo wheel covers made from coroplast,but this time only for 26 inch and 700c wheels. AAAHH! My wheels are 24s!

Has anyone used wheel covers on a MB? Any info will be appreciated.

http://www.bluecollardistro.com/fixcraft/images/fix-wc-003-full.jpg

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i cut some out of thin aluminum a while ago for a bike i took to the death race.

if you really want some, you can cut them out of aluminum, or find an industrial plastic supply place and buy a sheet of ABS plastic and chop 'em out. drill 8 holes around them and bolt them on.

they might not be perfect, but who's gonna know?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've used wheel covers before. They help out noticeably with aero and they look cool, too! If you play bike polo, they're a must-have when playing with savages lol

Those coroplast covers could easily be modded for 24" wheels. You'd only have to take off an inch all the way around. If you look at the pics, there's plenty of room.

Thanks for posting that link, by the way. I'm probably going to order a pair of black ones to check em out.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
we used to use them in the 80's on bmx bikes when i used to race.
back then, they were called pedal-proofs...plastic disks that covered the spo9kes to protect them against other riders' pedals from going into the spokes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-SCHOOL-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7832c012

If you use a little imagination, and if you have some metal working skills....why not pick up a set of aluminum moon wheel disks (like these)?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-STAINLES...OON-HUBCAPS-NEW-/390154470485?forcev4exp=true

I know that you said your wheels are 24", but you MIGHT be able to make a set of these fit & they would look really cool.

Last edited:

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
really? they're too heavy?
i had a set on my car and they aren't heavy at all.
like i said these are for 16" wheels not 24" wheels, but they could be made to work.
a set of 15" wheel disks will fit a set of 20" bicycle wheels beleive it or not.
oh well, i guess my opinion of cool isn't the same as everyone elses.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Thanks for the info guys. I was going to get some red ones from fixcraft but they are out of stock at the moment.

Bairdco,I just might try some aluminum. I'd like to get some heavy duty vinyl for the covers.

Dragray,those look super cool but I want cool AND functionality. But maybe for kicks....

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
really? they're too heavy?
i had a set on my car and they aren't heavy at all.
like i said these are for 16" wheels not 24" wheels, but they could be made to work.
They're significantly heavy for a bicycle and simply too small for a 24" wheel (20" effective bead seat diameter). Why would anyone pay $80 for stainless discs that are not only too small but also need a bunch of modifications to work? A center hole would have to be made and it would have to be just about perfectly center, then you have to deal with the fact those discs are 2" too small for the wheel all the way around. What would you do, extend them? If you did, you'd have to do a perfect job, because any mistake will throw the whole thing horribly out of balance. If you didn't extend them, then you still need to mount the thing perfectly center or else the balance issue again. There are several more issues that come to mind, but I think I've said enough.

Sorry, I just fail to see how mounting too-small moon caps on bicycle wheels is a viable solution at all, no matter how good the extra fab.

a set of 15" wheel disks will fit a set of 20" bicycle wheels beleive it or not.
oh well, i guess my opinion of cool isn't the same as everyone elses.
That's because 20" bicycle wheels have a 16" bead seat diameter. 15" discs would definitely fit and look pretty cool there :D

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to get some red ones from fixcraft but they are out of stock at the moment.

Bairdco,I just might try some aluminum. I'd like to get some heavy duty vinyl for the covers.

Dragray,those look super cool but I want cool AND functionality. But maybe for kicks....
Fixcraft is out of the black ones, too. I placed an order last night and they just called me to tell me they're out :(

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I've actually been wondering this myself as I'd also like to do it. I just planned to use thin aluminum like Bairdco said, or another great idea was one I saw over at Ratrodbikes. There was a guy who made some from galvanised metal rubbish bin lids, he simply cut a hole I'm the middle and cut to the size of his wheel (I can't recall the wheel size though). They also had the ridges (like seen on most bin lids) which kinda made it look like the real "art deco" hot rod hubcaps. Very cool indeed.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
nothin like a couple of garbage can lids coming down the street at 40MPH!! that ought a turn a few heads LOL!!!