10 speed

GoldenMotor.com

cooperDG123

Apr 16, 2012
cali
hey guys so im geting a 2 stroke kit from a local mini bike shop and i was wondering if i could use it on a 10 speed or somthing or will it only work with a single speed

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
The bike gearing does not matter, in fact I like having multiple gears to help the engine.

The classic 10 speed with the slim tires and round chain stay (for the motor chain tensioner) would not be my first choice but have done it.

Some great pics here and might give you a better idea; http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The biggest problems with motorizing a 10 speed (road bike) are that the cranks are usually narrower than other bikes (& the pedals will hit the engine) & also the handle bars wont allow the new throttle & clutch lever to bolt on (because of the shape of the bars).

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I just built my first motor bicycle on an old 10 speed from the early 70's.
I love it. I used all the stock parts on the bike.
I think the cranks may be wider than modern road bikes have though, and I had to mount the rear sprocket different than the directions said because he rear stays were too narrow for the sprocket and chain.
I am using the stock handle bars (ram horn style), and the throttle works fine on them, but the clutch has to be mounted on the top of the bar, and it is a little awkward to get to in an emergency stop situation, so I am not recommending that. haha I think I will replace them with straight bars soon.
Also it has old style road bike breaks, which don't work so great, so I will be putting modern road bike caliper breaks on it. I will post pics of it soon, but I am having trouble downloading them for some reason tonight.