Shifter Bike Freewheel Skipping?

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
ITS FIXED! Just got back from a 10 miler over one of my favorite runs. Not a single skip, or should I say overun? Even got pretty agressive with the shiftin, still behaved. Just glad it finally got figured out! Thanks again everybody! couple of picks of the varmint.

Attachments

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I had this issue as well. I am currently modifying my modifications to correct the problems. But first I should mention what I originally did. I have a Huasheng 4 cycle with a shifter kit. I decided to try to add a front derailleur on the crank to select between a 30 tooth and a 24 tooth sprocket. That worked for the most part but I noticed the chain skipping and jumping between the 5th and 6th gears while using both the 24 and the 30 tooth sprocket in the front. I tore down the crank assembly and when I grasped the 24 tooth sprocket the teeth were unually sharp. Looking at it closely I noticed that on one side of the sprocket a groove was worn halfway through the teeth. See attacked pics. I believe that the chain wasn't seating on the 24 tooth sprocket when I was shifting with the derailleur.

I decided to remove the front derailleur and only use the new 24 tooth sprocket I just ordered and I'm replacing the rear hub with a sturmey-archer 8 speed internal hub with a drum brake. Since there's only one sprocket on the rear hub and I'm going to be using the 24 tooth sprocket on the crank I shouldn't have a problem with the chain's slack.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the pics. The teeth on my 24 were looking more "beat up" from the over running. I will sure keep an eye on it. After thinking back on it it seemed like it over ran mostly in the lower gears. My lowest gear is a 28t, that means it is actually lifting the chain off the 24. Of course this improves as you shift up. Im thinking the increased tension on the final drive chain has solved my problem. I do have a Shimano 7speed internal hub wheel with a brake, if this rears its ugly head again, just might go that route.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
I had the exact same problem just as you described a slight free rev but not alll time. I thought it was a bad free wheel but when i switched it out for another wheel, I had the same issue.
My problem after 2days of looking was do to a slight d-rail mis alignment and slightly bent chain link. That fixed the issue for me and since then I check the alignment of the d-rail and chain every hard ride but only have to re-adjust it maybe once a month but I think that might be due to the new d-rail cable I have,be cause hasn't needed an adjustment in a while.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
re: thick old dried up grease.
Lay the bike on the left side and drip a little motor oil and silicone lubricant in there. Pick the bike up and spin the freewheel a bunch. It will loosen up. A lot of freewheels can be cleaned and re-packed, but there are about 50 bb's about 1mm dia. in there, and if 1 is missing it can jam later. Also the pawls and springs may make re-assembly difficult. Canned spray grease also works ok if you can get it in there with the straw.

NOTE: if you are using a cassette hub, you will need a cassette remover tool, a proper wrench, vise grip, and cone wrenches, to disassemble and repack your hub shell/bearings and freehub body.

Old dead freewheels make good gifts if you vat them out really really well and oven dry them. Use them for nifty paperweights that make a loud ZIZZZZ sound.

A couple years ago....I had a freewheel slip on one of my regular (non-motorized) bikes.

It was doing exactly the same thing....I would be pedaling and it would slip and the pedals would advance about 45 degrees (out of a full 360 degree pedal stroke)

The problem turned out to be old congealed grease in the freehub body as it was catching and not releasing the internal sprags from time to time.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Toxic
You are probably right about the cable breaking in, mine has need addust twice to keep the 6th gear ship consistant, looks like it has finally worked in.

Happycheapskate

Great idea on the freewheel paper weight, now I know what to get the wife for Christmas!