New to motor bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Well I put my first bike motor kit on my Schwin 7-Speed Cruiser. It is a BoyGoFast 66CC with a NC carb. It went fairly well, but had to add some pipe and I lost my front brakes to the clutch that had to take it's place. All in all I'm happy. I've ran about 6 tanks of gas through it so far and it's been a real pleasure to drive. I think I may have gone wrong, but I broke the motor in at like 24:1 with varying throttle no full speed, but was having problems getting motor to idle down and had to kill it before it ran away and blew a few times in the beggining. Then everything went well after that. I've been running about 40:1 since. The other day it started idling high and wanting to run away. I determined I had an airleak from the info I gathered here and just by working on other motors. No, I didn't do the starter fluid trick, I just assumed the leak was at the carb/intake seal where they give you no gasket and it's serrated? That sucks. I'm trying something different. I wiped my favorite IndianHead shellac around the pipe and just a little on the inside of the throat of the carb. let it get tacky slid it on snug and tightened the snot out of it. I noticed a tiny bit of oil coming from the head gasket seal so I also pulled the combustion chamber and cleaned it with starting fluid. Removed the plug and cleaned it too. It cuts the black stuck on stuff fast. And I just wiped it a few times with a cloth. Looks brand new again! The walls look shiny and no grooves. I didn't have a head gasket so cleaned and reused the old one. The old one looks like crap, has slight imperfections in it so guess that was like that from the factory. So, I'm letting thhe Indian Head set up some more just to guarantee no stray drop of it gets to the needle, and take it for a spin and see what happens. Hopefully I can get it to idle without either running away or dying like it was doing. There was just no happy spot between the two. brnot

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your build. I'll admit that I'm a little concerned with your decision to eliminate the front brakes however. Cruiser handlebars typically are longer and have the room to move the brake lever inboard enough to allow installation of the clutch lever. As you might be aware, about 70% of the braking action is done by the front wheel. Relying on just a rear rim brake for stopping a motorized bicycle is just not a good idea. I'd explore that left handlebar and see if you can't find room to reinstall the front brake lever. If you can't then there's always the option of a dual pull lever that will apply both front and rear brake. Good luck, ride safe.
Tom

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Thanks 2door. I will look into this dual lever option you are talking about. I sure need some more brakes! LOL! The back shoes only do so much even though they are the long shoes. Just got it back from my cruise and still have problem. Pulled the whole assembly off from the jug and found the right side threaded rod was in crooked because they didn't grind the weld enough for the washer to clear without cocking up. Hopefully this will explain why it runs good sometimes and then idles high like that. I did the full choke test while the engine was idling and it kept running, so I guess that explains it. Now that I have the whole carb and intake tube off, I sealed the ends and blew air from my mouth into it and it seems pretty tight. I hope this is good enough of test. I pulled the threaded inserts out, checked for true, and threaded it back in all the way. Then ground away the weld enough for the washers to seat right on the intake. They had a piece of crap paper gasket that was just disintergrated when I pulled it off. Copied it with a peice of cardboard and hopefully a lawnmower shop will have something close or just make it out of gaskeet material and some more IndianHead. Not very impressed in the manufacture quality of this little engine. Paper intake gasket? Misground welds? But everything looks good. I took a look down at the rod through the intake slot and it is colored brown. Is that a good thing? The combustion chamber and piston top look real good. Only a few deposits built up that came right off. Hopefully I can get some more miles out of this one still.

Bikeman

Apr 26, 2011
MS Gulf Coast
Found my problem this morning. Missing screw in lower crankcase cover caused gasket to blow out and a little piece of it was hanging from the bottom of the motor. Must have been missing this whole time, because it acted funny to start with, but got better and finally went away and had a smooth consistent idle until now. Oh well. I done gooped up my carb and intake so much with liquid electrical tape that I'm just going to get a new one and start over. So much for BoyGoFast brand. Any recommendations on a good 88/66CC motor?