When do i grow up & motorcyclize ?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
one of my oldest friends builds custom motorcycles (his latest is supposed to be featured in an upcoming issue of one of the big mags) and he's one of the new generation of "bikers," (y'know, the tattoo'd up skate-punks that traded in their board for a bike,) and he's heckling me all the time, but in a friendly way, especially since he's building up an old Monark bicycle right now.

he saw me the other day flying down the opposite side of a busy street, where i was doing 40+ and riding with traffic and told me i should just buy a motorcycle.

i honestly don't really want a "real" motorcycle. something about the pleasure and satisfaction i get out of building the best (and fastest) bikes around out of antique junk bikes and chinese crap engines keeps me happy where i'm at.

if i got a motorcycle, i'd just be another guy in a crowd, or i'd be spending ten times the money to stand out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
"if i got a motorcycle, i'd just be another guy in a crowd, or i'd be spending ten times the money to stand out."

Very profound, Baird. That's one of the best ways I've heard of explaining our hobby.
Tom

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
I live in a community that is a destination ride for many bikes, rice rockets. choppers,trikes,and baggers. I get the most comments on my MB by riding it to where they park and "stuff it" in where they park! I get more oohs and aahs from it than my HD or my Ducati--go figure!! brnot

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
I feel much the way bairdco feels. If I were to get a motorcycle I would not have the same feeling of pride in my ride I feel now. I do not care about what others feel/say about my MB. I love it and I have yet to see anyone who has one stop riding one. (outside of those limited by law, sorry guys.) I love my MB and I wouldn't give it up for anyone or anything. As far as motorcycles go I would buy one but why? So I can start paying for Plates, Insurance, Parts, etc. Yeah I want to spend more money to do the same thing I do now. NOT! If you want to call my hobby childish, Then call me Peter Pan!

Smallwheels

Dec 18, 2008
Montana
My moped is used for transportation more than any other reason. It is inexpensive and can be parked anywhere. In Montana (where I live) as long as the motor is 50 ccs or less, has a top speed of 30 mph or less, it doesn't need to be registered and no special license is required.

As far as motorcycles go, I've owned a cruiser, a dual sport, and big and small motor scooters. Now I'm down to motorized bicycles. I've liked them all. The bicycle is the least restrictive of the bunch. It can be parked anywhere. It can be carried upstairs and kept inside an apartment. It gets great gas mileage and handles effortlessly.

Not needing insurance or needing to pay annual registration fees is a big bonus. I use about a gallon of fuel per week, maybe less. There are times I would like to have a car to travel in bad weather but that would cost at least $6000 per year. My motorcycle riding suit cost about $700.00 and I spend about ten dollars per week on chemical hand warmers in the winter. Right now I prefer keeping more money in my bank account than having the convenience of owning a car.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Wait, you're supposed to progress from motored bikes to motorcycles? Oops I did it backwards. laff

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't get me wrong, I have ridden many many times that the ride was 50-70 miles, but to ride to work every morning, then ride home would take the fun out of it.

chrome

Jan 10, 2010
manila, philippines
one

if i got a motorcycle, i'd just be another guy in a crowd, or i'd be spending ten times the money to stand out.
Ahhh very well put sir! I've actually "regressed" to riding a moped since I didn't want to overuse my mb but the headaches and the costs of moddding my honda pf50 has made me realize that regressing further to a full size motorcycle wouldn't be a good idea. The moped will be my last stop then alternate using it with my mb....pec.

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
At what point am i supposed to quit this childish sport and get a real motorcycle? This comment was made by someone--in so many words--so what do you think ?
Probably never, I have a Silverwing 600cc scooter, a Goldwing 1800 and 1500 (for sale) and still putt around on my 49cc mountain bike.

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
MC's are a great way to commute to work (ride in HOV lane, etc.); definitely perfer over
MB for the long haul. I rebuild & customize MC's all the time & own 2600cc Rocket III.

However, I get more satisfaction from MB builds. I have taken my MB to MC rallies and get more attention & positive feedback than any MC at the rally. So, anyone rags on you about growing up and getting a MC, just does not get it.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
Sorry guys...after several tickets I am retiring from motorized bikes. Although these hobby is really fun but the consequences and the amount I paid for (penalty tickets) I just could not bear it any longer. I think its time for me to move forward.