CA Police say my motor bike cannot be made legal.

GoldenMotor.com

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
now I have called to West Covina Police Station and to Baldwin Park Police Station and I have called the CHP office and they told me the samething, any motor under50cc or electric that you must be 16 years old, have a proper fitted helmet, with a horn, front and back lights that is it. I guess the bottom line is if you are doing something wrong, you will get cought!! like having apehanger past your shoulders, or a loud exhaust. Not obeying the laws etc.
You already got the truth about CA laws on the "inane forum" from me and others

You can talk to police, DMV, CHP etc and get wrong and different answers every time

CA law says nothing about 50 cc

A 4 stroke 136 cc Whizzer is a LEGAL motorized bike in CA because when
they were certified they only made 1.95 HP because they had intake
and exhaust restrictors

Motorized gas powered bikes are legal in California

M2 drivers license,

moped license plate on the bike,

ride in bike lane OK,

No insurance,

must wear DOT helmet,

less than 30mph on level ground,

Maximum of a 2-speed automatic transmission that is incapable of being manually shifted,

capable of Human Propulsion ie Pedals,

less than 2 brake horsepower,

2 or 3 wheels.

The CA law says nothing about the size of the motor.

Last edited:

Boredomfiend

Jun 8, 2009
Long Beach, CA
I had an electric and I did not like always waiting for a charge but one day I will tow a tiny generator that will power an electric bike, which I'm sure will stay within the law.
HAHAHAH!!!

Thats an awesome idea, but I think you could one-up it. For starters, put the generator right up on top of the engine! ITS A HYBRID! LMAO. A Gas-powered Electric-driven bike. Better yet, take a common 2-stroke bike kit, set it up for pull-start, swap out the transmission for a big magneto, and feed the power straight into your electric motor. All it has to do is be running, like idling, to power your electric engine.

What do you say? =)

Boredomfiend

Jun 8, 2009
Long Beach, CA
A friend of mine turned me on to the King Bike Motor which I ordered online. I was told if the motor was under 50cc's and the bike couldn't exceed 35 mph I would not need a helmet, or a license plate, and could get up to 140 mpg. So I bought a single speed TRUCKER bike with a knee action spring on the front and mounted my motor on it. On my first trip on the streets of Costa Mesa, I was ticketed by 2 motorcycle policeman. They told me that I needed a class C M1 driver's license which I have, and that I needed a DMV issued license plate which I would not be able to get because a vin# is required and a Motorized bike has no vin# They also said I would need lights, a horn, turning indicators, a motorcycle helmet and insurance to be street legal. So I was required to pedal it back to my shop without using the motor. After looking over the motorized bike forum, I found information that said I should mail the DMV $18.00 along with form REG 230 and make up an engine # if the engine didn't have one (which it didn't). My friend said he had a friend with a king powered motorized bike who was constantly stopped by the police but when he produced a copy of some law he carried with him, they let him go with no citation. I would very much appreciate any advice I can get as to whether or not I can legally ride my motorized bike on the streets of California. Thanks, Don
Well thats a load of crap! You can go to California Highway Patrol website and see the exactly classifications of motorized bikes and their requirements. Currently you're looking at a top speed of 30 mph with a M2 license, and 20 mph with no license. The rest varies between cities, but here in Long Beach you are expected to have a horn and front/rear reflectors, and to ride at night you need headlight/taillight. Turn signals? C'mon its a BIKE.

Motorized Vehicles

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Insurance is not required but
the 20 mph is only to do with electric bicycles which do not need a license of
any kind
just a bicycle helmet no matter what your age is

Well thats a load of crap! You can go to California Highway Patrol website and see the exactly classifications of motorized bikes and their requirements. Currently you're looking at a top speed of 30 mph with a M2 license, and 20 mph with no license. The rest varies between cities, but here in Long Beach you are expected to have a horn and front/rear reflectors, and to ride at night you need headlight/taillight. Turn signals? C'mon its a BIKE.

Motorized Vehicles

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
Hope this helps a little....

California Department Of Motor Vehicles.---------{http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc406.htm}---------
----------{http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24016.htm-------
Motorized Bicycle
V.C. Section 406 . (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:

(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.

(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.

(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.

(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:

(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.

(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."

V.C. Section 24016. (a) A motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 shall meet the following criteria:
(1) Comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.) or the requirements adopted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. 571.1, et seq.) in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. Sec. 1381, et seq.) for motor driven cycles.

(2) Operate in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operate in a manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause the electric motor to disengage or cease to function.

(b) All of the following apply to a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406:

(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

(5) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle shall certify that it complies with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.).

-----------------------------this is copied from the dmv motorcycle handbook---------------------------------------

motorizeD Bicycles
There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

A two- or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

fully operative pedals for human propulsion.

a motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

an electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (VC §406[a])

Avehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (VC §406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle
which meets the definition of VC §406, you:

Must be 16 years of age or older.

Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.

Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (VC §12804.9).
You may ride a moped in a bicycle lane at a reasonable speed. Be careful of bicyclists using the lane.

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
both electric and gas powered bicycles both follow under the vehicle code VC §406,I was pulled over on my bike three days ago,the police officer said you need a valid drivers licience and the bike must have turn signals,mirrors,light,helmet.I went to dmv the next day and they printed me out a copy of the VC 406b,which states that you have to be at least 16,have a dot certifide helmet,bicycle canot go faster then 30miles,and you must follow the all the laws.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
LOL TOYTOWN i am from Brampton Ontario and its funny because everything you just said applies to me as well i just ghost peddle buy them when i c them and i havent been bothered much ive had a couple of cops laugh at me wich i couldnt give a sh it but for the most part alot of them seem confused and dont bother with it, i had one guy put his charies on after i flew buy him on a street i saw him in the corner of my eye i took the first street and the first catwalk i could find and i lost him with ease, where in Canada you from ???

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
It's the same here in Canada, a motorized bike is a motorcycle no matter how you look at it. I have been left alone for more than a year and have even had police pull up beside me at red lights but I just pretend to peddle and act like I am doing nothing wrong.
I think here in Ontario the cops are confused about what is allowed because we have just legalized electric bikes that have peddles and I have peddles and when I see police I make it look like I am working hard to peddle. On the other hand , who knows , maybe they just can't be bothered with me and I do try not to look like a guy breaking the law.
I had an electric and I did not like always waiting for a charge but one day I will tow a tiny generator that will power an electric bike, which I'm sure will stay within the law.
I don't know why they would regard mb as motorcycles when according to thier description motorcycle has to be capable of maintaining a speed of 70k under load...Motor Vehicle ActI rode mostly everyday here in Oshawa with no probs. I did ask a cop and without any hesitation he said that if the peddles were needed its classed as a bicycle. I don't know of any Canadien laws changing recently. I heard Alberta made a change but not Canada. dunno

blopez25

Dec 16, 2010
Baldwin Park CA
A friend of mine turned me on to the King Bike Motor which I ordered online. I was told if the motor was under 50cc's and the bike couldn't exceed 35 mph I would not need a helmet, or a license plate, and could get up to 140 mpg. So I bought a single speed TRUCKER bike with a knee action spring on the front and mounted my motor on it. On my first trip on the streets of Costa Mesa, I was ticketed by 2 motorcycle policeman. They told me that I needed a class C M1 driver's license which I have, and that I needed a DMV issued license plate which I would not be able to get because a vin# is required and a Motorized bike has no vin# They also said I would need lights, a horn, turning indicators, a motorcycle helmet and insurance to be street legal. So I was required to pedal it back to my shop without using the motor. After looking over the motorized bike forum, I found information that said I should mail the DMV $18.00 along with form REG 230 and make up an engine # if the engine didn't have one (which it didn't). My friend said he had a friend with a king powered motorized bike who was constantly stopped by the police but when he produced a copy of some law he carried with him, they let him go with no citation. I would very much appreciate any advice I can get as to whether or not I can legally ride my motorized bike on the streets of California. Thanks, Don
I also live in California and i have done so much studying on the laws of CA.
******HAVE A COPY OF THIS EVERYTIME YOU USE YOUR MOTORIZED BIKE *****

VC24016:
(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections 21200 and 21200.5{bicycling under the influence} .

(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
blopez, this has been gone over hundreds of times. lemme break down your post real quick:

1) this applies to ELECTRIC bikes only.

2) correct. if you get pulled over drunk on a motorized bike, ultimately it's up to the judge, but by law, it's the same penalty as being pulled over driving a car. if you have a suspended license it's the same as driving a car with one. busted.

3), again, ELECTRIC only. with a gas motor, you need all those things except for insurance, and a gas bike IS a motorized vehicle.

4) correct.

check this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/f17/everything-you-need-know-about-california-25730.html

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I say if its still got peddles its a bicycle, motor or not
Lets start contacting or so called "representatives" in government and demanding our rights!
In this country (USA) we have the RIGHT of free movement, its not a privilege to be paid for.
BBB

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
There is a legal maxim in the LAW known as Corpus Delecti. Essentially what it means that in order for you to break a "LAW" there must be a couple things in place. You must either injure another party or harm or deny them of their property.

So in the case of DMV CODES almost every ticket can be beat with one simple question on the record. Would the injured party please state their name?

Another question on the record since we have the right to face our accusers might be, "Who here has a claim against me?"

Motion for dismiss for lack of corpur delecti and go to the house. If people knew their RIGHTS we would keep them, but people think a ticket means they are guilty and just pay it cuz it's a hassle to find out the TRUTH about what law is. Another thing to consider is that CODES are COMMERCIAL Codes, in other words if you are just traveling and not engaged in the buying and selling of merchandise while doing so NONE of these codes are applicable to you....this is true with even cars! They have no jurisdiction if you are not engaged in commercial activity and they have to prove jurisdiction before they can throw ANY codes at you.

Wake up America.

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
I hear what you are saying Bairdco. It just does something in the core of my being when people start throwing around UCC civil codes as if they are actually laws. I do know that "most" people give these codes the force of law and treat them as though they are in fact laws, but the fact is they are NOT laws.

A law must be passed by congress. What we are ALL dealing with whether we are in Texas, California or Alaska is the simple fact that people obey people who ASSUMED to have authority acting on codes that are enforced as if they are LAWS. Nobody challenges the assumptions and presumptions resulting in a police state, with no rights left.

People have a heard mentality. I heard it was the law, I heard it was the truth and I heard I must pay a fine. Also everybody else is doing it this way, I heard I must do it that way as well. Bahhh Bahhhh. It is exactly what the powers that be hope to continue while they keep building the invisible prison. There is no more hopeless slave than the one that falsely believes they are free.

This is just one mans opinion who once swore an oath the protect the Constitution against all enemies, both foreign and DOMESTIC. Lot's of domestics running around here and they don't have Arab sounding names at all! Just sayin.