new trailer

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If the electric friction drive I just built works, I want to build a new trailer style for it. Something like those little trailers you see in civil war movies. The ones they pulled around for the cannons. I have heard that you can build one using bike wheels without the outside supports. I hate the look of those.

So here is my thought somebody tell me if this won't work please. i'm going to get a long threaded rod at the hardware store. the axle bolts on a standard cruiser are 3/8 inch.

I think I can:
1. pull the axles from two front bike wheels.
2. run a nut onto the threaded rod down about five inches.
3. then a big washer,
4. then the bearing,
5. then the wheel,
6. then the other bearing,
7. then another big washer,
8. then the outside nut.
9. Do the same to the other side of the long rod.

Now take a 1x2 or even a 2x2 and u bolt the threaded rod (now axle) to it
Then bolt a piece of plywood to the 1x2 for the bed of the trailer
Then just build a box to hold my batteries.

Attach a double tongue and off I go. What do you think

In case you didn't know before I like bike trailers lol.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Deacon, here is a trailer my nephew made. He used a old set of forks to attach to his bike, The wheels are off of a dolly.
Now that looks like the hitch I have always needed. I'll have to give that kind of hitch some thought.

I have a bunch of trailers around here. Some with lawnmower tires, some with plastic wheels from a fertilizer spreader. What I want now is one with good bicycle wheel design for the bearings. The easier it rolls the better for electric.

But I like his hitch design. If i can find a fork in aluminum it would be excellent.

Last edited:

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
A thought is to use two of the lower wheel mount parts of a goped steerer with wheel drilled and mounted to the far end of a wooden base.

This could then be fitted with some sort of mounting at the other end to mate with a similar articulated mounting on the back of the bike.

The problem with these trailers for someone like me who doesnt have the tools available is that you either spend silly money on a manufactured one or cobble something together which is very likely to self destruct with £70 of shopping on the back...

Incidentally - to cheer up my american cousins on gas prices... its likely the price will go up to £1.50 a litre here ($3 a litre US) and may get to be over $14 a gallon!!

Jemma xx

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was talking to my wife about that last night. I could remember gas in the us was $1.50 us that it was four in europe. I wondered how much it had gotten to there now. I hate to say this but it may someday reach a price where the general public thinks its okay to fight a war for gas. That will be a sad day for mankind.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was talking to my wife about that last night. I could remember gas in the us was $1.50 us that it was four in europe. I wondered how much it had gotten to there now. I hate to say this but it may someday reach a price where the general public thinks its okay to fight a war for gas. That will be a sad day for mankind.
I agree with you 100% Deacon. Americans just have to except the fact that they will have to change thier lifestyle.
But, when you have a military like we do, many americans would rather fight then change their way of life. And what's really sad, is those who refuse to change their lifestyle, dont have the balls to wear a uniform and would reather have somebody else fight for their lifestyle.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I don't know about adult bikes but it will work on quite a few children's bike wheels . I used a solid rod and then cut my own threads to the length I needed . The support plates extent past the body so there is a stop to prevent lateral movement . I designed a side mount for the bike for ease of attachment and a clean look when the trailer is not attached . ....D.J.

Picture taken before cutting threads and welding .

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
exactly what I want to do, thanks for the shot at least I will know where to go with it. I see you used the side mount tongue I have used that a lot as well. I think on this one I would like to go with the two tongue mount one on each side. I used it recently and it seems to track okay. I feel more secure with the second attachment.

cruiser66

Mar 4, 2008
Westport, MA
D.J.

That is a great looking trailer. Is it your design and build? What do you use it for? The teardrop shape and porthole window has a great retro look.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
D.J.

That is a great looking trailer. Is it your design and build? What do you use it for? The teardrop shape and porthole window has a great retro look.

Thanks Cruiser

I built it about 2 years ago now . It was kind of therapy after my triple bypass . I tinkered around in my workshop before I went back to work . The design is mine but the shape I got from an artists drawing on the net . It will fit an amazing ammount of gear . I use it at show and shines to haul all of my supplies for the day . Chair , sun umbrella and cooler . It also hauls supplies for a full day of fishing at a spot about 20 miles from here .

D.J.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That is a awesome trailer DJ, nice work! My grandparents had a tear drop trailer, I used to love to play in it when I was a kid. I remenber they used to tow it behind a 1961 Ford F-100. :D

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had heard about the lawn chair trailer but never seen one thanks for posting it. The next lawn chair i see in a yard sale is my next trailer. The weight had to be perfect for a trailer. By the way 16" wheels are much better than 20" for trailers. Give you a lower center of gravity.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
A co-worker was just asking me about a trailer to carry his grocery's, so I googled free bicycle trailer plans just to show him what he could do. Figured somebody else might be intrested or at least get some new ideals.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I had seen the bamboo and other's I just never saw one made from the alum lawn chair. I really is similar. They all have one thing in common. they have the outside support or outrigger. That would require the least amount of modification of a bike wheel.

But it also makes the trailer harder to get in and out of the door if you want to store it inside the house. Still it is the simplest and easiest design.

My latest trailer is the one with the axle made from a threaded rod that goes all the way under the trailer. I made it small so I could get it into the house.