Does not go faster than 27mph after 4 tanks??

GoldenMotor.com

fistfulofsuss

Apr 6, 2009
Treasure Coast
Any suggestions?? Wrapped my exaust w/ performance wrap, gotta performance air filter and installed a new spark plug "Champion" w/ out setting a gap.. Thought it would be fully broken in and I would be able to cruise @ 'round 30mph at helf throttle, any suggestions??

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my top speed i had it up to is 32mph,but even at 28mph it feels like my butt is strapped to a rocket on a broomstick.i wouldnt sugest this but you could take off your air filter and unscrew and take off the bottom of your muffler,you will get faster acceleration and top speed for a while but the effects on the engine are not know by me.you could up the gas/oil mix to 25:1 or 30:1 but the engine could seige if to low of oil.you could get cruiser or slick tires you will gain more speed.or you could get a smaller rear sprocket.
anyway i think 27mph is fast enough on a bicycle not built to go that fast.

the cruising speed for these things is 20-25mph
with ocasional speed increases to 30-32 for short distances

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
these engines like regular gas and plain ol' 2-stroke oil.
not nitros, not jetfuel, or boostbottles or octane boosters but you can try it.

and set your gap on your plug while youre at it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Octane booster is not going to do anything with a low compression engine.

Proper set up will.
But, the bottom line is that these engines are not race engines, and 27 mph is not to shabby.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
As Godfather says, 27mph is not bad at all. On warm days I have trouble reaching 25mph. In the cool winter days I can hit 31 mph. My motor is very sensitive to temperature.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
What wheel size, how many teeth on the rear sprocket, how many rpm's is the engine running?

My bike has a 26x1.75 tire, 44 tooth rear, and runs about 23mph at 5500rpm. Sure, it can rev a bit higher but the vibes start to get excessive. The speed is as read by a Schwinn computer and the revs are as read by an ENM PT16e2 rev & hour meter. I know it could go faster with fewer teeth on the rear sprocket, but we have big hills here and I don't want to give up the hill climbing ability. I'm not sold on any of the existing gear change products but eventually someone will crack that problem with a compact, reliable and fairly priced product. That's the holy grail.

evmatt

Apr 26, 2009
chickamauga
I think the engines have plenty enough power already. The problem is with gearing. As already suggested increase top speed by using a smaller rear sprocket.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Altitude also affects performance. My bike topped out at 55km/h at sea level. I recently moved and at 3500 ft it tops out at about 42km/h. I haven't made any adjustments yet but as you can see the change is dramatic. The motor feels significantly less powerful up here in the rarefied air and its performance proves it.

27mph is a great place to start. Fine tuning and other modifications will improve on that. I would start with the carb and educate myself on it's adjustment. They seem to come from the factory running rich in most cases. Gearing is a good (and cheap) place to look at next. If you live on the flats and you never see hills it is easy to go with a smaller rear sprocket to improve top speed. If you ride in the hills then you have to find a balance.