sidemount carb problems

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Before mounting your carb on side of bike using copper fittings read this!

i mounted my carb on the side of the bike,so i could get my whole aircleaner to fit,i had just the filter tied to the carb before. my bike ran really good before(started on first try). now the idle is off, i readjusted it,but now it takes like 4-5 starts to get it going and some priming(i never had to before)
now my carb bowl leaks over(maybe from primer button but i dont know for sure)
plus it was hard to get the jb-weld stuff to stick to the intake and copper pieces.
so i think it was better to leave the carb where it was and just modify the aircleaner assembly instead. even if that meant rubber banding the foam filter to the carb.
so now im thinking of ordering a new carb $30.(i broke tab off of old carb and plus its jb-welded to a copper 90% fitting).anybody have any suggestions?

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I had similar issue, I just removed the plastic part of the air filter and used a little larger washers and screwed just the screen in place , rather than using the entire plastic filter.

But Red66 has a nice solution also

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i wanted to do that for the filter,but i didnt have the money for it.
well anyway,if i order a new carb it will come with the new black compact plastic filter thing or i will try and fix the old one,im not sure which,it depends if i can split the carb and copper pipes with jb-weld apart without breaking the carb.then mount the carb in stock location.then i make a custom aircleaner like red66 shows.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i decided not to mess with the old carb as i need it to use to go to store and i dont want to break it or it wont run.so i ordered a new carb with new style black aircleaner and new steel intake from gasbike.net $12 carb $3 intake and $23 for shipping(yeah they get you with the shipping,but it comes in like 4-5 days).but this time i will modifiy the frame more if i have to,for it to fit in stock location.