Who sells the best engine kit for the bucks?

GoldenMotor.com

Speedy Wilson

Mar 10, 2009
Ringgold,GA
Hello World,
I would like to hear opinions on who sells the best engine kits for under $150. Also who to stay away from. Now I know vendors are going to talk good about the products they sell. Thats just life. I would like to hear from the average Joe that spent his hard earned dough on a kit and what they tought,if it was a good buy or if they ended up screwed without getting the benifits of lube..bld.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well I'm no vendor but I'll tell you this, I would worry more about who will stand behind his kit for real not just in his advertising. I think all of the kits are going to have the same possibility of factory defects to some degree. For most folks its about who will step up to the plate and help you when the sale is over.

For me I'm a gambler. I figured they were all about the same so I bought the cheapest one i could find and it worked out fine. Some guys have done the same and got jammed up.

So either prepare for the worst by getting a dealer with a good rep or prepare for the worst in planning to fix it yourself. Lots of good advice here for the latter. I can't help you with the best rep thing since I only bought one kit.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
About all I know for sure is that all the ones that advertise on this site all offer good service and like deacon says, The warranty is important.

europorsche914

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster, PA / Newark, DE
I just bought two motors from zoombicycles. He doesnt have a warranty that i know of but he sells powerking motors which are known for slightly better quality than others (boygofast)... I have no complaints other than since they are based in canada it take over a week for the kit to arrive (not their fault). My slant head 80cc cost $144.99 with free shipping -Justin

Speedy Wilson

Mar 10, 2009
Ringgold,GA
Hey, thanks for the insight...my diy weedeater thing has died a horrible painful death,so now i need a kit engine...I'm going to take the weedeater engine and put it back to being a weed eater...I hope. I'm going to sell it for money toward a kit.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Any engine kit under 150 bucks your stuck with a 2 stroke but not to say they are worth it because in my opinion they are. But I second the vendor that will stand behind their products.
Now if you say under 400 dollars then I can only give you one recommendation.
Not because I befriended the vendor but because I put some serious miles on his 4 stroke.
It simply rules.
But you'll like the 2 strokes.

Speedy Wilson

Mar 10, 2009
Ringgold,GA
I would love the 4 stroke for obvious reasons...less to maintain,no oil to mix. For the money I am thinking of a 2 stroke to start. I got a few hills here and speed isnt an issue as long as I can maintain about 15 mph without pedaling much. I would like to use a larger sproket than the 44 tooth to pull the light grades. I know I am not going to have a hill climber but I dont want to have to pedal over every small change in elevation either. As far as I can tell I am leaning toward the Bikeberry "80cc " kit. $149 is the listing. Any one have any expierence with them?

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I didn't know zoom sold the powerkings....I got my "80"cc powerking off ebay on a bid for only $125 and have yet to have any real problem with it.

But yeah, from all that I've read so far here, on what may or may not be with these engines, warranty is the way to go for that one time where on a fluke you get a bad engine. My next one will be from one of these dealers here.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Yo LargeFilipino, do tell about this 4stroke!!!
It's the DAX Titan. 5,000 miles to date on the engine that's currently on the Buggy Bike (Worksman Trike Front Wheel Drive) that used to be on Cronus (Schwinn Ruler Titan kit stock form my favorite bike of the three) That 5 thousand mile engine still starts on the first pull and still with the original clutch pads.
Cronus now has a used Titan engine that just needed a carb cleaning and it's running smooth. I don't know the age of that engine but I've put about 600 miles (lets see. Cherry creek 12 times since January, 4 trips a month five in February at 50 or so miles round trip then I took it to Boulder that one day no wait two of those Cherry Creek trips was on the Buggy Bike maybe it was three) this year.
$375.00 for his kit is an absolute steal. Get it on and get your chain adjusted and your good to go. Funny that I still carry my tool bag when I go 30 miles away from home I haven't needed it at all this year.
In the next month or so I'm modifying the Buggy Bike some more. That's my tinker bike. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
$375? I'm about to order a Honda 35cc scrubber kit for $399 and I've just recommended the same to a pal. Now I have to re-think this. thatsdax has the larger 50cc and chain drive but is a little more cluttered when installed.
What the heck do I do now?
I'm tired of my pant legs being covered in oil and having grease under my finger nails. I want a Honda 4-stroke.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never tried a four stroke so I can't voice an opinion except to say this and i know I'm makin' some enemies. But a four stroke looks like a lawn mower jammed in a bike. That two stroke just looks classic. Sorry guys just my opinion and I don't have either at the moment.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You have a point and some of the cool bikes guys build would never have that wow factor with a "lawn mower" engine. I get that.
For some of us, it's time to get a kit that is clean and tidy, without any of the issues that pop up on the Chinese kits. I just had an old debt paid off and have $500 burning a hole in my pocket and I don't ever want to be out of commission without a bike like I was last week while I waiting for a part. I want a second bike.
I want to get a simple, clean, trouble free, quiet sounding bike that does not scream out "look at me" and I'm willing to spend $1000.
Maybe I should just get some of those 36 volt "ping" battery packs for $600, I'm so confused.
I really need some help on this .....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
me too... I am torn between looking at the money in the bank and buyin' some of dem fancy batries. I just don't know what to do lol.....

Speedy Wilson

Mar 10, 2009
Ringgold,GA
I went for a brief manpowered ride today and began to really want some motorized help...I'm only 28 but my legs don't work as good as they used too. Smoking for 20 years hasn't helped either...lol. I'm really wanting the china 80cc kit for the cost....I had a 5hp honda pressurewasher I traded for my bike but I can probably get it back cheap. Maybe I could just mount it on a rear rack,go cart clutch and a 56 tooth sproket...would probably cost the same as a kit to build but then I would have Johnny Law all over my butt about it being illegal and all that crap. If I can ever find a job in this post Bush economy I will go the kit route I believe,in the 2 smoke way. I can't even find a Burger flipping job. I am going to have to get creative on how to make an honest $ I think.
Ok,this is a question un related to this thread ,and some may think I'm nuts,but how do you lace spokes on a car rim to use on a bike? I see all these homebuilt bikes and choppers made from just about anything and alot are using old car tires for that fat tire look. I'm sure some type of hub and axle mod are required...but it looks so freakin' cool. Put an old "doughnut tire" for a rear on a custom chopper frame...tweaked up 80cc kit...lots of fork and rake, add some ape hangers..wow. O.k,I got to quit dreaming and find some $$$. Peace fellow builders and tinkerers of the world.....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
you do know why that is called china girl don't you.... I'll tell you anyway... You can not ignore her between rides and then expect her to let you ride anytime you want.

And that's the truth....