Sprocket size trial and error

GoldenMotor.com

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Had to take my rear tire off for maintenance.......I've had a 25T sprocket that I drilled to work as a drive sprocket. Out of curiosity I put it on. Knowing that there has to be some point that the engine is only going to turn so much (RPM wise).
The 25T is too small for the clutch to handle. A lot of slipping on take off...pedaled up to speed and could still feel the slipping up to about 30MPH. Once the clutch caught up with the motor I managed 42MPH

Time to put the 32T back on.....trk

Last edited:

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
So what is the 32T cruising speed, and at what point does the engine catch up to the clutch slipping (that's the chirping sound) and stops making that sound which is clutch slippage at what mph does that occur.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
Did You Try Adjusting You Clutch? I Had To Several Times When I Went To My 32 Tooth. It Took A Bit, But I'm Hitting 43 On The Flat With My Giant Cypress St With 700c Wheels. Not Good For Trail Riding, But She Fly's Down The Road With Little Vibration.
My Good Cruising Speed Is About 30 To 35mph With No Vibs At All. I Also Have A Hub Adapter. That Helps Too.

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I've adjusted the clutch. It doesn't make the screaching sound...I can hear the motor coming up in rpm's but the accelleration doesn't match. If I back off the throttle and take it up to speed slowly...it does fine.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
I have lots of hills in our area and mountain trails so i now use a 56 tooth sprocket 80cc tuned pipe big carb
Hi Robin
Will your bike climb any hill with that 56 tooth?

What do you think your top speed is with it?

Your bike and that pipe looks great! Where did you get the pipe? Is it loud?...POPS

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
i got the tuned pipe from pipeline industries--there is a posted thread "for sale scw tuned pipes" now have 80 cc engine i just mounted so hills iam not sure because having carby problems -50cc it will climb some very steep long hills--also 56 tooth much better for trail riding--you can go much slower -never have truly measured speed i assume 25-30 mph !