A Wiki for managing all the knowledge

GoldenMotor.com

rwk

Mar 15, 2009
Malden Mass
Hello, I am new here, but I've been reading through a number of posts and am finding out a lot of valuable information. But, It's not as well organized as it could be. The 'classic posts' is a very good section, but I wonder if having a wiki would be a better approach. You're probably all familiar with Wikipedia. Well, we don't have to allow just any anonymous person the ability to modify a wiki, you can make it so that only registered users can.

If the 'people in charge' here agree with me, but don't know how to set up a wiki, I may be able to help. I've set them up before. Computer systems operations is my career. I usually use Linux for servers. Of course as I am new, I would understand reticence to give me the 'keys to the kingdom' to do such installation, so maybe I could just offer advice or try to debug problems as they come up.

Once the wiki is functional, I'd be happy to start to convert some of the knowledge to wiki format. That doesn't require system privs or even much knowledge of computers. Adding knowledge to a wiki is fun. It makes me feel very productive when I add new things to the articles on wikipedia that I am the major contributor to. It's also nice to be able to find just the info you want on a wiki, and to have people who can go in and fix spelling errors or other mistakes that I might have missed, is so wonderful.

The first part of the Wiki I'd like to get done is that which regards preparing and installing the 80cc engine kit I just got from BikeBerry. Not that it's BikeBerry's fault, but that manual which comes with it is terrible. I am sure that, as a community, we can write a far better one.

What do you users think? What do you administrators think?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can understand that trying to keep all the posts that are submitted daily in their proper place would be a daunting task but I see so much misuse of the catagories that I can understand where a new comer could get frustrated trying to locate the information he/ she is seeking. The newbies often post technical questions in the wrong place where they get answered but then left there and forgotten unless they get stumbled on sometime later. Too bad that we couldn't find a way to compile all, let's say, 'clutch' questions under a common heading. Even the search feature often defeats me when I'm looking for a particular subject so I can imagine the frustration that a new comer must feel when they are trying to locate information on their particular problem. What I see happening is the same question asked and answered over and over and then left, often mixed up in a totally non associated catagory of information. This is in no way meant as a criticism of those responsible for this forum; on the contrary, I feel you do a fantastic, often thankless job. But, maybe we can make it better. Is there an alternative to the way,especially, tech questions, get posted and is there a way to group them? Maybe the Wiki idea has some merit. Just my thoughts.
Tom

cityevader

May 11, 2008
Santa Cruiz, CA
I guess this depends if we want a website for disseminating useful information, or a forum for cultivating personal interaction across the globe with others of like interests.....but can't we have both?
It would be oh so fabulous to have a small link in a top corner that would take you to the information section in readily recognizable categories.

Speedy Wilson

Mar 10, 2009
Ringgold,GA
I like the idea of a link to click for what ever info u want. I often try to read alot before posting because I don't want to clutter up the forum or ask questions I can find answers to if I dig hard enough,but sometimes I just get stuck. It would be cool to have a technical term glossary if possible too. I'm a newbie and some terms or parts talked about escape me at times. I will put it on my wish list. Thanks for the great work and friendly advice. Without it Newbies like me would be lost and frustrated,cursing about imported parts and incomplete directions.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hello, I am new here, but I've been reading through a number of posts and am finding out a lot of valuable information. But, It's not as well organized as it could be. The 'classic posts' is a very good section, but I wonder if having a wiki would be a better approach. You're probably all familiar with Wikipedia. Well, we don't have to allow just any anonymous person the ability to modify a wiki, you can make it so that only registered users can.

If the 'people in charge' here agree with me, but don't know how to set up a wiki, I may be able to help. I've set them up before. Computer systems operations is my career. I usually use Linux for servers. Of course as I am new, I would understand reticence to give me the 'keys to the kingdom' to do such installation, so maybe I could just offer advice or try to debug problems as they come up.

Once the wiki is functional, I'd be happy to start to convert some of the knowledge to wiki format. That doesn't require system privs or even much knowledge of computers. Adding knowledge to a wiki is fun. It makes me feel very productive when I add new things to the articles on wikipedia that I am the major contributor to. It's also nice to be able to find just the info you want on a wiki, and to have people who can go in and fix spelling errors or other mistakes that I might have missed, is so wonderful.

The first part of the Wiki I'd like to get done is that which regards preparing and installing the 80cc engine kit I just got from BikeBerry. Not that it's BikeBerry's fault, but that manual which comes with it is terrible. I am sure that, as a community, we can write a far better one.

What do you users think? What do you administrators think?
This user thinks that people who have just joined and have made only one or two posts need to be aware that those of us who read the forum everyday and have been here a while, DON"T LIKE IT WHEN YOU GO CHANGING EVERYTHING AROUND.

You are probably so new you haven't used the "Search Feature" on the front page, works just like GOGGLE. Try it if you want to look up something. Walter F.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
We discussed all this when I was a Newby, and there were only a hundred members. It would be a full time job for someone to read and keep things in their proper place.

Part of the problem is when you are absolutely new, you have no idea what the heck it is you want to know. You also are dying to get your bike running so You just go to the most likely looking spot, in your mind at least, and post your questions.

Those of us who remember the brand X forum have a bad taste in our mouths about questions that got ignored, so we won't do it. We don't tell people to move their post we just answer if we can. It's more important to help the next guy than anything else. It is the main reason this forum thrives.

And that's how this place got to look like a mess. When you are first here you are grateful that you get your question answered and sometimes find a mentor, thanks Norman. Then after a couple of months, you find someone walking on your thread. Thats when you have to think back to when you asked the proper oil mix for the gas in the DIY section.

Just have to file it under "What comes around goes around" is my opinion. I will vote for any organizational tool that does not make the new guys feel bewildered and frustrated with the forum. The bike kits are frustrating enough. They need a Norman not a barking dog.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Rwk. Is a cool thought. Most especially the glossary. Would help a lot of folks. Keep up the Enthusiasm!

Tiger, very well done! Bet that took some time.

rwk

Mar 15, 2009
Malden Mass
Norman, I tried looking through my goggle at my screen, while using this web site, and didn't find much. Maybe it was because I had to squint to look through one of the pair of goggles.

Seriously, though, the site search works kinda sorta but not all that well. It is to be expected. Search engines can only do so much.

What is not expected is your brusque attitude. I came here making a suggestion, and with a lot of humility. Reject it if you want, but on technical grounds. Not just because I am a newcomer. While I fully expect there are things I need to learn, it is not merely my number of posts on a message system that make me qualified to offer opinions or not. Believe me, I've run a few, been networking since 1984 on bulletin boards. Loudmouths and old-timers don't know everything. Again, please, don't make ad-hominem attacks on my ideas.

As to the others making practical comments regarding my idea...What's great about a well-run wiki is that it does not require a full-time administrator to make it work. Yes, there is some vetting of users to keep people from abusing it and posting vandalism, ads, or personal attacks. There's also a need for refinement as time goes on and more information is added. But it's not that hard, really.

What is worthy of note is that a wiki does not create the same sense of community that a forum does. That is why I would never want to try to replace this forum, but rather add to it. What a wiki can do is organize data. I think even the experienced people can come to realize how much there is that they don't know, that others on the forum do, and how well people share that knowledge.

If there's no interest in creating a wiki by the 'powers that be' here, the people that have interest in the idea can always go contribute to wikipedia. That's what I've done with other bits of information in my wide variety of interests.

Jun 25, 2008
I think thats aimed at walter f not norman. norman said "Sounds good"

I concur that the search isn't ideal, which is why i use my own (click here) which everyone is welcome to use.

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Norman, I tried looking through my goggle at my screen, while using this web site, and didn't find much. Maybe it was because I had to squint to look through one of the pair of goggles.

Seriously, though, the site search works kinda sorta but not all that well. It is to be expected. Search engines can only do so much.

What is not expected is your brusque attitude. I came here making a suggestion, and with a lot of humility. Reject it if you want, but on technical grounds. Not just because I am a newcomer. While I fully expect there are things I need to learn, it is not merely my number of posts on a message system that make me qualified to offer opinions or not. Believe me, I've run a few, been networking since 1984 on bulletin boards. Loudmouths and old-timers don't know everything. Again, please, don't make ad-hominem attacks on my ideas.

As to the others making practical comments regarding my idea...What's great about a well-run wiki is that it does not require a full-time administrator to make it work. Yes, there is some vetting of users to keep people from abusing it and posting vandalism, ads, or personal attacks. There's also a need for refinement as time goes on and more information is added. But it's not that hard, really.

What is worthy of note is that a wiki does not create the same sense of community that a forum does. That is why I would never want to try to replace this forum, but rather add to it. What a wiki can do is organize data. I think even the experienced people can come to realize how much there is that they don't know, that others on the forum do, and how well people share that knowledge.

If there's no interest in creating a wiki by the 'powers that be' here, the people that have interest in the idea can always go contribute to wikipedia. That's what I've done with other bits of information in my wide variety of interests.
Hey Mr. I can straighten everything out, you might get names right to start with. Norman liked the idea, I had the whatever attitude Walter F. duh

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Happens Rwk. Norman is always great and a wealth of knowledge. Almost every single regular here are good folks. I think most folks have been frustrated and I for one am intrigued by your thoughts.

Mile, (Tigertooth) I just noticed you changed your nic. Tried that search. Works great.

Been meaning to write you. The R&D is going really well. (really, really well)

Jun 25, 2008
Happens Rwk. Norman is always great and a wealth of knowledge. Almost every single regular here are good folks. I think most folks have been frustrated and I for one am intrigued by your thoughts.

Mile, (Tigertooth) I just noticed you changed your nic. Tried that search. Works great.

Been meaning to write you. The R&D is going really well. (really, really well)
Yeah Cruiser changed it for me, thought it would be easier for people, plus i quick like bein called 'Tiger'. Like whoa, easy tiger! hehehehe whats r&d? sounds like some new music you youngsters are lisnin too.
Hows your flying bike comin on?lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Tiger.

The flying MB is on hold until flight school and money. Found some Ultra lite pilots who are great and keep talking me out of over complicating the design.

(R&D is research and development or what I like to call the scrap pile of parts I have destroyed)

Last edited: