help! gas tank leak!

GoldenMotor.com

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
it seems like the tank vibrated a little to much while riding and the threads vibrated loose and there is a steady leak out 2 of them, could those be sealed with something from autozone?

when i fix it and remount the tank, ill be putting a peice of an old innertube between the tank and the frame and hope this doesnt happen again.

thanks.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you can flush out the tank with hot soapy water(LOTS) and then solder it or weld it but you will need to take an auto or truck and put its exhasut fumes into the tank using a flex tube/hose thats one way but unless you are very sure of what your doing don't do it. take it to a radiator shop they can weld it or you can buy a new tank there is other ways using tank sealing products.
be safe as what you are needing to do can and will kill you if not done properly.
Norman

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
you can flush out the tank with hot soapy water(LOTS) and then solder it or weld it but you will need to take an auto or truck and put its exhasut fumes into the tank using a flex tube/hose thats one way but unless you are very sure of what your doing don't do it. take it to a radiator shop they can weld it or you can buy a new tank there is other ways using tank sealing products.
be safe as what you are needing to do can and will kill you if not done properly.
Norman
wasnt looking to go this far but its an option, the tank might possibly under warranty but id rather just patch it up, its just a tiny leak,

ill get on finding that gas tank repair.
the JB weld didnt seal to well

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
What I have done in the past is to clean the area at the base of the studs with a small wire wheel to remove the paint. Then I used electrical solder & a soldering iron to seal around the base of the stud! Make a big blob around the base!!!
This method has worked very well for me!
dnutdnutdnutdnut

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Vinice boy is right that will work.
Hey Vinice boy I'm coming to La in the next couple of weeks Pm me your address and I'll try to find your shop if I have the time as I'm going to Tempe,Az. to help out the kid at his art booth. I'd like to meet at least one of our forum members I do hope that some of the guys in Az. could come by the fair and meet me. Maybe I should make it worth their while and offer a free headlight would you like one Venice to try out? let me know.
Dang I just talked to the Snake and I will not have the time to visit in Venice but will be able to visit in Tempe. So Venice boy I'll try to get you a light if you want one PM me your address and I'll mail you one it might be a couple of weeks before I get one to you just to let you know.
Norman

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
norman, does your son ever do the Fountain Hills 'great fair' ???
couple hundred exhibitors
when/where is the tempe show, I will try to get out and meet you :)
Bill
Gabe and I will be in Tempe,Az. March 27 to 29 somewhere in all the exhibitors for more info look at Gabe's site google this--- gabeleonard.com
as for the fountains Hills fair beats me he will be in Tucson,Az. March 20 to 22
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
a friend and i have 50cc raw engine kits and both of our gas tanks seem to leak past the cap when they are more than 2/3 full, does anyone else notice this problem and has anyone fixed it?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Gabe and I will be in Tempe,Az. March 27 to 29 at Tempe festival of the Arts, Mill ave. Tempe, Az.
Gabe will be in Tuscon March 20 to 22 4th Ave street fair
Hope to see you there in Tempe,Az. I will not be able to make Tuscon as I'd be gone too long and the Old Snake would get jealous and I'd spend too much on plane tickets.
Norman

If you would like to see some of his work google gabeleonard.com I'm in the painting "Dead Mans Hand" so you will kind of know what I look like.

Last edited:

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
What I have done in the past is to clean the area at the base of the studs with a small wire wheel to remove the paint. Then I used electrical solder & a soldering iron to seal around the base of the stud! Make a big blob around the base!!!
This method has worked very well for me!
dnutdnutdnutdnut
do i need to clean out the tank first or is it hazordous to have gas in there

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Yes flush out the tank its a bomb with any gas liquid or vapors in it if you put heat to the tank it will go boom! and that ain't good.
I will run a lite flame over the open tank after flushing just to be sure doing it at a distance so I don't have a front row seat for the fireworks if it should happen. I live on the edge at times ask Ilikeabikea he will vouch for me. sometime I scare myself.laff
norman

Prasinos

Dec 1, 2008
California
a friend and i have 50cc raw engine kits and both of our gas tanks seem to leak past the cap when they are more than 2/3 full, does anyone else notice this problem and has anyone fixed it?
Sorry to post this again but this thread is so active I think it was overlooked. I notice that after filling the tank any more than half full and riding, there is dried up oil round the cap, a friend of mine has the same kit and the same problem. Just wondering if were alone here or if anyone else has a solution.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A lot of the caps leak.

I would never 'test" a tank to see if you "got it clean enough" with and open flame.

Yes, Norm, we know you live on the edge...but no one wants to join you there. ;)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you only die once. I do that under cover of a brick wall with a remote flame so if the tanks goes flyin I don't only need to change the diaper. I don't recommend that anyone else to this for safety sake.laff I think its better to find out before your standing over it and it lights off then you know it won't go bang and make your ears ring which will be the least of your problems.
norman

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
When I Was In My Teens, I Had A 41 Chev With A Leaking Gas Tank. I Asked A Welder If He Would Weld It. He Said Yes, If I Would Sit On It!!! Over 50 Yrs Ago And I Still Laugh When I Think About It.