Has Your Health Improved Since Riding A Motorized Bike?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Skeptics, old fat people and normal bike riders question me about the health aspects of riding an MB instead of a "normal" bicycle.

"You're not gonna get any exercise riding that bike".

Instead of arguing the point, I merely state that this motorized bike is strictly for transportation.

HOWEVER, I've been noticing the positively healthy benefits of riding a pedal ASSISTED bicycle...especially if you put great effort in pedalling.

I pedal and ride about 75 miles weekly. Mostly riding, maybe 80%/20%.

I've been assisting my engine in reaching its optimum rpm range. Using a 1.5" friction roller takes a LOT of effort to get the bike to top speed.

At age 62, my joints are more limber with less aches and pain. My back doesn't hurt while I'm trying to sleep.

Anyone else feeling healthier since riding their MB?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes....since I got into motorized bikes, I got BACK into "regular" bikes.

Plus, the motorized bikes seem to give you excuses to get out more, go more places, go out to the shop more, ect.ect.

Not to mention the mental exersize you get....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It improves and old guys balance and coordination immensely. gets the weight down in addition. Ride a low powered ebike for even more exercise

I almost forgot to mention the exercise associated with getting it out of the storage shed. I think a road bike the other guys are so proud of are a lot easier to navigate since they weight a heck of a lot less. Oh don't forget what it's like to pedal that monster when the tank or batteries run dry...

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Everything you said, deacon.

Balance, awareness, conditioning all improved.

I used to drag my bikes up two flights of stairs after each use. Now I have a bikerack under the stairs to secure my "Dragons". I carry them upstairs for repairs only.

"Mr. Whizzard", my Whizzer bike gets carried upstairs after each use. It's more like two people leading a water buffalo uphill.

I used to be dog-tired after each run because I had to carry the bikes upstairs. Now that I leave the "dragons" in the bike rack, it's a more enjoyable riding adventure.

It's such a rush to pedal my MB'S at 30+mph on flat ground..wee.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I can't say that my physical health has improved, since it hasn't. I might have lost a couple of pounds since I put the first bikes together. (note: I can not afford to lose any weight)

My bike which I was riding every day was parked when I got sick. I was going to sell it or give it away.

I can tell you that starting the bike with a motor is an effort, all that pedaling, but once I get going everything is cool. I really did missed just riding around town, not like I go far anyway so putting the engine on has let me do this again. It makes me happy, so that is healthy if nothing else mentally. My life was closing in around me now I can hop on the bike and maybe just tool around the neighborhood.

I also like the grease and gunk while working on the bike. I like the experimentation on making things work. Having 2 bikes I can screw one up and still have the other to fall back on.

Overall, my mental health has improved from this hobby. I think it really helps in keeping me from getting depressed. If I even start to get depressed, I can go out in the garage and fiddle with makiing sure the nuts and are tight.

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
MAJOR difference for me. I ride to live and I live to ride.

I suffer daily from severe & chronic problems in my spine (neck and back and head) along with other health issues, and also I got some knees that are bad from hours of working hard jobs standing up all the time. Despite my supposed age, these problems make me feel very OLD.

When I ride the bicycle, my knees feel much better, and my spine loosens up and allows me to move around better. I get better exercise when riding a motor assisted bicycle because I get the perfect combination of exercise and rest, so I don't get over-exerted compared to pedaling alone. My youth is restored when I ride my bicycle.

Also my mental health is much better as well, as I get out to see the world and experience it out in the open, and there is much less stress compared to driving an automobile.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I no longer take high blood pressure medication.
My blood pressure is normal.
My stress level is way down.
And when I drive I no longer have much of a need to pass everyone in the left lane.... so much. :D
Sometimes I still do but most of the time staying two seconds behind a car in the second of 4 lanes is actually okay.
My pressure picked up again in the past month but I wasn't riding either.
I may need to go back on my blood pressure meds just as an insurance.
But today it was 75 degrees out,and MOOP2 is once again ALIVE thanks to the deal I made with DAX on them engine parts and I rode all three of my bikes today with nowhere to go.
And today I stopped at the King Soopers and checked my pressure.
110/70
So yes. My MB improves my health.
When I ride I'm getting younger.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I neglected to mention the mental health aspect of the MB life. Yes I have moved even farther down the line. Back to Ebikes but they still get me out of the house. I still get some exercise though it is now more compressed than it was with gasoline bikes, but that's okay. I don't think it matters how far we go or where we go, it's more that we just go. Often it is no where are all that we go. With motorbikes, unlike automobiles, it is the journey not the destination that is important.

I usually pull my bike out and ride it three or four miles around my hood, if nothing else. I'm not going anywhere in particular, just going to be going. The bike is my last shot at freedom, I'm trying to make the most of it while I still can.

Even before this site existed, I built an ebike and now I am back to building them again. Some of them are remarkably similar to the first ones I built. But all in all it isn't the fuel, it isn't how fast it will go. it isn't even how cool it looks. What it really is ... is how they make us feel... Everyone I built or even rode had a different feel to it and made me feel different... And no matter how I have cursed them when they threw a chain, or when a tire went flat, or when it ran out of gas two miles from home, I have still have to admit.... I wouldn't have missed the ride for all the money that ever passed through my hands.

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Wow all this mental health.

I forgot about the high blood presssure. Before I got sick it was a little high. When I got sick it was so low, they sent me home instead of treatment one time. Afterward, it was starting to go up again. Last check and I too am a 110/70 with no drugs.

I have a big list of whats wrong but I LIKE just loping on down the road. So I think I will put my shoes on and go for a ride, the bikes is loud and the bar will be loud too. I won't hear the ringing in my ears.brnot

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I find that since I started riding that I have lost the aggressive driving tendencies that are so common in Tucson. I guess after getting used to 15-20 mph it feels like I am going fast whenever I drive. No sense getting upset over things you can't control anyway. :)

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
The wonderful thing is you can pedal all you want so you can still get lots of exercise especially starting---but going up hills by motor is great
i am not in better shape but i balance it with hiking and walking most of my rides are 3to4 hours--i get lots of arm exercise holding on at full throttle--like a little rocket with tuned muffler and big carb