E-assist parity with gas assist

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
An electric hub motor kit cannot compete with a 2 or four stroke basic engine kit for performance per dollar. However, mid drive e-assist kits, that transmit power through the bicycle chain, are making gains on gas motor kits that transmit power thru the bicycle chain (shift kits).
If you want to transfer assist power thru the bicycle chain and shift gears, electric kits are closing the gap. A shift kit can add $180 on top of the cost of a four stroke motor kit. The gas motor kit definitely has more range, but you can take your electric assisted bike on the sidewalk if you behave yourself.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Brushl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a30e8d391
http://www.gngebike.com/mid-drive-kits

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Ebikes on the sidewalk/multi-use path are illegal, but I have not seen any posts on this site or endless-sphere where an ebike rider has been ticketed for that. They can't hear your engine running, so you will not attract that kind of attention unless you are hot-dogging or being inconsiderate.
I'll take the chance of getting a ticket for sidewalking over getting hit by Bubba's dually truck when the speed limit and other conditions make the road too hazardous for an e-bike. I stay in the road when I feel it's safe. To each his own.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Besides that, we all know that it's technically illegal to ride a motorized bike on the sidewalk. It doesn't even need to be pointed out. And wheelbender is correct when he says that you can probably get away with it if you behave.

The original point of the thread was much more interesting. I like the looks of that mid-drive setup.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
While I'm at it, I'll post pics of some more mid drives.
Gen I - brushed

Gen II – brushless with planetary reduction

Belt reduction - brushless

In Frame

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Is there a state law prohibiting riding a bike on sidewalks?
No, however some local governments may have local ordinances prohibiting bicycles on sidewalks. Bicyclist should contact local law enforcement for more information and be aware of posted signs.
Also, a person may stop, stand, or park a bicycle on a sidewalk if the bicycle does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic on the sidewalk. Tex. Transp. Code § 545.302.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/faq.html

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Is there a state law prohibiting riding a bike on sidewalks?
No, however some local governments may have local ordinances prohibiting bicycles on sidewalks. Bicyclist should contact local law enforcement for more information and be aware of posted signs.
Also, a person may stop, stand, or park a bicycle on a sidewalk if the bicycle does not impede the normal and reasonable movement of pedestrian or other traffic on the sidewalk. Tex. Transp. Code § 545.302.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/modes-of-travel/bicycle/faq.html
Actually I do believe Texas does in fact have state law making it illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk anywhere in the state.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I got run over by a BMX all the way up to my chest at a skatepark one time when I was skateboarding. I can tell you I almost gave that kid a grip tape exfoliation! That's why bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks, because its not nice getting hit by a bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Because of state law it's not legal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk anywhere in the state of Texas, however that law is almost universally unenforced. Riding a gas bike under power would be pushing it though. I wouldn't try that in sight of a cop. I haven't had any problems so far on my ebike though.

Bike trails are a different story. Federal law says if any portion of the trail was made with federal dollars, that trail has to be open to electric vehicles, ebikes included. Plus Segway's, and personal mobility vehicles.

At one time the Dallas city council tried to ban a local tour company, that offers 1 hour tours of the downtown area on Segway's, from riding on a popular city trail. The owner went to the city and informed them of the federal law, and threatened to sue the city if they didn't rescind the law. The city attorney informed the city council they better do as he said, and they did. Who said you can't fight city hall?

As far as this threads topic, my ebike is more than a match for my China Girls.