Sprocket wont go over coaster brake arm

GoldenMotor.com

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
:eek: Man, I got my rear coaster wheel back from the shop. It looks as good as new after the butchering I put it through the other day. Problem is the sprocket won't fit over this coaster brake arm either. What can I do? I am about to forget this and buy a different bike...one without the coaster brake but it is gonna be a while till I can get the money. Is there anyway to make this wheel work?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I remember having that same problem when I had a cruiser. What I did was take off the brake arm and put the sproket on then put the coaster brake lever back on.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
There's one nut in front of the arm. You can use your bike to keep the coaster arm in place while you loosen up that nut with a wrench. Loosen the nut that holds the wheel on the frame first. Or you can get a buddy to hold that coaster arm while you loosen the nut.

Then the bolts may get in the way of the coaster arm when you spin the wheel. People have welded up an adapter to clear the bolts. Others have given that coaster arm a good bend at the bench vise. I simply replaced my hardware with 1/4 flathead bolts. See the pics.

And no. They haven't loosened up.

And yes. It holds it good. Yes 1/4 is mighty thin but it holds up.

Attachments

Last edited:

1_2Mini

Oct 2, 2008
I didn't have any of these issues with my coaster brake. My coaster arm came off fine without removing axle or anything...there was just a square hole in the arm that fit around a square nut on the axle. Also, the bolts that came with my sprocket kit were hex heads that cleared it no problem.

I did however have to use a hole saw to clear my 3-speed hub, but that's a unique situationl.

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
It was a huffy cranbrook cruiser but I took motor off it and transfered over to a mountain bike. The cruiser is on the back burner for now.

Rnroutlaw

Nov 15, 2008
Norwalk,Ohio
I still would like to have a motorized cruiser bike. I am going to try and find one that doesn't have the coaster brake though. Fix it up real nice maybe have someone do a custom paint job on it and use it as my sundays finest! Kind of like a show piece. Already got plans for build two and I don't even have 10 miles on build one! Lol!

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
OK, Joe. I only got the Cranbroke cause it was almost a gift. And I couldn't catch the horse.

The only real problem I've come across with Huffys (as opposed to Kulanas) are the headsets.

Most other headsets won't fit in without replacing the upper and lower cups. The headset tubes are also really short.

Did your frame break?

I have a little 24" MakaMaka (forerunner to the Moondog?). I don't remember how I got it now. Probably OSOR. Rear fender missing. Anybody wants it it's theirs.

Ted

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The frame cracked at some welds, the crank was so soft the pedals finally stripped beyond repair and the engine kit is currently awaiting a new bike.

It did last about a thousand miles altogether. I sold it to a guy and he rode it quite a bit, I borrowed it a few times and then I didn't hear from him for awhile.

I checked up on the bike and found that the frame had cracked and he quit riding it....so, another ''boomerang bicycle motor kit"...that's where I buy back the remnants of a bike I sold cheap, both parties are happy.