mabman Open Class Build Photos

GoldenMotor.com

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Re: Open Class

I guess I am confused because I thought I was entering them in the open class by putting the pictures there.....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

The classes are for photos of finished bikes.

You may start your own thread here in Photos, and post picutres of the bike(s) in progress.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind

Oh, I get it. I thought that as a winter bike build contest and it is still fall it was kind of show as you go. My bad.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
No, more like a cargo or long bike format. However it will have the ability to drop another seat in the back tube. We are going with a modular rear "rack" system that will allow for the different needs that this type of bike can address.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
No, more like a cargo or long bike format. However it will have the ability to drop another seat in the back tube. We are going with a modular rear "rack" system that will allow for the different needs that this type of bike can address.
please keep us posted on this project, mabman! is this gonna be like a motorized XtraCycle? if i could fab and weld, i'd like to build a motorized long bike a la WorldBike, with the engine mounted low behind the driver.

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
Oh, you mean like the one Jim G built?
DSC00829.JPG

In fact my computer is sitting on the flatbed of that very bike right now in front of a coffee house at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle. Just took a spin around Discovery Park. Bikes like these are the best of all worlds. You can haul freight, take the traffic lane when necessary but other wise stay in the bike lane and when necessary you shut it down and can cruise the non-motorized routes. All in all a great way to get around and it brings a smile to the face of 99% of the people that you meet along the way.

By spring there should be something available that will satisfy you garage guys in the way of a frame/drivetrain. Complete units also. More to come as it progresses.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
Oh, you mean like the one Jim G built?
View attachment 3538
yeah, something like that. i've been looking at the Big Boda and the Chop 'N Drop Worldbike plans. i'd have to get someone to do the welding for me, but yeah, the long/cargo bikes are the future. can't afford the Big Dummy? just chop up some junk bikes and make your own!

In fact my computer is sitting on the flatbed of that very bike right now in front of a coffee house at Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle. Just took a spin around Discovery Park.
oh, you Seattle cats are just too cool! :)

By spring there should be something available that will satisfy you garage guys in the way of a frame/drivetrain. Complete units also. More to come as it progresses.
yeah, man, keep us updated!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Mabman, very cool. Can't wait to see what you create.

I am really hoping some one eventually manufactures frames especially for MBs. Steel with intrinsic suspension and a top tube/fuel tank with a choice of mounting a chinagirl or 4 stroke.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
The Surly is a nice frame but you can get one of these complete for about the same price: T2K9_UTE.jpg

But the trick to these cargo type bikes is in the drivetrain, as once again the current crop of cargo bikes are not designed for motor assist any more than the 95% of the bikes seen on this board. We just make do with what we have and the best way to get anything off the ground is to just start lifting.

I am not at liberty to divulge the extent of where some are headed in regards to what has been mentioned as needed here in this thread, but there are more than a few folks focused on it and before long there will be some good news. Cause we all know how much we need some good news(p)

And a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Holiday to All!