lightest chain?

GoldenMotor.com

gokart25

Sep 26, 2011
Iowa
What is the lightest weight chain you could run on the 2 stroke.

Has anyone ever used a bicycle chain?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
'Lightest' chain in regards to what, actual weight or just size?
HD 410 bicycle chain is usually suitable for most builds but if you are looking to loose actual weight on an MB don't look at the chain, you can remove the water bottle holder and save more and it won't effect performance.

One other note is if you have 415 chain you are out of luck unless you change both sprockets.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
A 415 Trike/Industrial chain still has the same 415 chain dimensions of the stock china girl chain- but smaller plates vertically- so it's about half the weight and it rolls much easier- if you ride street and fairly clean I reccommend and always use- less than $15 shipped still I think- one drawback is that it has usually just about as many links as a standard buiild takes- so if your chain is n the longish side, you may need two. 110 links I think it has.

http://www.piratecycles1.com/kmcin415ch.html
here's one at Pirates or search elsewhere

Some kits come with a 1/8" pitch 410- same size as normal cruiser bike chain -which works for some i guess- I tried one once and had some problems-allignment must be perfect- and harder with no tensioner as I like (and you have to have a compatible front motor sprocket)

so I still like the extra width of the 415- no fuss no muss- rolls MUCH better and much lighter than kit chain-and probably no more weight than the 410-

no failures yet on two builds after about 2 years.

Just for information's sake- I think the regular 415 kit chain came along AFTER the general use of a 410 on motorized bikes- and some people stayed with 410 to save weight I guess- the 415 Trike then splits the difference between the two

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I lost my master link clip on my 415 chain so I replaced it with a Wippermann BMX 1R8 chain I got from my local bicycle shop. It is 1/2 x 1/8 and is one of the strongest BMX chains available. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It's thinner than the 415 and you can use it as a regular bike chain too, but I found that it runs through my china girl sprocket much smoother than the bulky 415.