Any tips on putting on an HT bicycle engine.

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Re: Any tips on putting on an HT engine.

Take the directions with a large grain of salt, look around here for anything you may encounter.

MikeBike

Oct 7, 2008
Palm Springs CA.

DONT over tightin.

old inner tube rubber might help with reduceing viberation.

do the sprocket 1st, becuz if you do the engine and be real frustrated when it take FOREVER to get the sprocket right.

so sprocket 1st becuase ull treat your self with the engine being "easer" and be happy.

also its easer to flip the bike for sprocket adjustment.

by the way, if its like a 12 speed, the front shifter derailer might have to come off.

ps have some soap for putting on the left grip. its a truffy

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

Good points Mike.

Don't count on the kill switch working for long or at all, I delete mine right to the garbage can.

Don't over tighten the chain either.

pO0n RaiD3R

Oct 22, 2008
Bay Area, California

Thanks. These are the tips that will make or brake my patience.

And can somebody link a site to me for a good kill switch?

And I have a 7 speed urban cruiser. I just got the new motor tonight. Now I need to make sure its good.

thanks

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona

Step 37 of your instructions PDF shows Live Fast Motors kill switch and many other vendors sell the same set up or one that is a little more orange. Live fast and most vendors will sell a kill switch or Radio Shack will sell one also.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Be darn sure you sandwitch the rubbers on oposite sides of the spockes on your rear sprocket! They were ment to bear hug the spokes protect them , and keep them well from breaking!

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada

Thanks. These are the tips that will make or brake my patience.

And can somebody link a site to me for a good kill switch?

And I have a 7 speed urban cruiser. I just got the new motor tonight. Now I need to make sure its good.

thanks
Do,nt use the throttle kill switch, you will have nothing but problems later when your magneto burns out. Just cut the wires at the throttle. Connect the black wire from engine to black from CDI, blue from engine to an on /off switch to blue from CDI. The white wire just cut it and cap it off. (unless you plan to use it for a light but thats not recommended))

pO0n RaiD3R

Oct 22, 2008
Bay Area, California

Do,nt use the throttle kill switch, you will have nothing but problems later when your magneto burns out. Just cut the wires at the throttle. Connect the black wire from engine to black from CDI, blue from engine to an on /off switch to blue from CDI. The white wire just cut it and cap it off. (unless you plan to use it for a light but thats not recommended))

So I just connect the black to black. And blue to blue. And do not connect the white wire. Is that what you said? Just to make clear.

And why does the magneto burn out when connected the direction way?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I never heard of one burning out due to being hooked up per the "directions"....however, yes, black to black, blue to blue, tape up the white and hide it somewhere good.

Use the choke or clutch to shut it off, or better yet buy a good kill switch and hook it up.

Motormac

Sep 23, 2008
Ontario Canada

Bike guy, using the factory supplied killswitch grounds the magneto,after doing this a hundred times or so the magneto will start to give problems and voltage output will decrease, I dont know why. Its far better to just stop the power from the CDI using a switch wired inline to the blue wire. Am I wrong? Other opinions would be helpful. This info is from another source,in which there is plenty of cases where problems have come up. Mac

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Grounding the white wire is harmless. It goes to kill switch, if your switch isn't working then it will be grounded all the time or it will not ground when you want to shut the motor off. Just over 4000 miles on mine thats alot of stops never had a problem..... Theres not much currant in this curcuit it won't hurt anything.