Just finished my first build! PK-80 Cranbrook!

GoldenMotor.com

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Yeah I really like the extended long exhaust! I am gonna get that eventually but first I'm saving for the Howard sproket mount. The rag joint makes me nervous.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay I have another question. Today I noticed my gear cover made a grinding noise so I took it off to see that there are 3 pins and one of those 3 pins is higher than the others and it rubbing my gear cover what should I do please help!!!!:-||

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay it turns out it wasn't the pin it was the screw that hold the flower nut in place i tightened it and no more rubbing! Hooray! Also I removed the fenders completely and I Ike the look of it with no fenders! So I'm just gonna leave it like that I'm to mervouse to have fenders after reading about what can happen if left ondance1

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
So just an update: I love my cranny build so much! Also my engine has very little vibration which is great I love going on short cruises around town also I got front and rear breaks that I stole of my old mountain bike in the basement so I no longer have to use the terrible coaster break. And that dang clutch flower nut screw keeps loosening and rubbing my clutch cover so I have to tighten it before each ride! But other than that the motor seems to be getting stronger every day! I hope it will last me a long time.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
So just an update: I love my cranny build so much! Also my engine has very little vibration which is great I love going on short cruises around town also I got front and rear breaks that I stole of my old mountain bike in the basement so I no longer have to use the terrible coaster break. And that dang clutch flower nut screw keeps loosening and rubbing my clutch cover so I have to tighten it before each ride! But other than that the motor seems to be getting stronger every day! I hope it will last me a long time.
Do you have the retaining screw that keeps the flower nut from turning on its own?

If so, it should not be loosening up every time. If it was just clutch pad wear, it would not cause the flower nut to rub the clutch cover.

Have you checked the tightness of the nut on the other side of the clutch shaft, the nut that holds the small chain sprocket on the motor? Mine loosened up on me and caused a similar situation. You can use the stock spark plug tool to tighten it.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Do you have the retaining screw that keeps the flower nut from turning on its own?

If so, it should not be loosening up every time. If it was just clutch pad wear, it would not cause the flower nut to rub the clutch cover.

Have you checked the tightness of the nut on the other side of the clutch shaft, the nut that holds the small chain sprocket on the motor? Mine loosened up on me and caused a similar situation. You can use the stock spark plug tool to tighten it.
The little Phillips screw that hold the flower nut is what keeps coming loose should I just try a different screw? It really annoying and also there is 3 pins that are above around the flower nut and one of my 3 pins look higher than the others.. Is that normal? It doesn't rub but it bothers me I guess these engines aren't perfect haha and also I read you cranbrook thread yours looked great! I hope mine doesn't end up cracking to that would be disappointing

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Ah, I see. Have you tried using blue loctite on the screw? If not, give it a whirl. FWIW, you should loctite nearly every screw, nut, bolt on these motors or they stand a good chance of shaking themselves loose!

And I am pretty sure the taller pin can be safely ground down to match the others. As long as it is above the clutch pressure plate you should be ok.

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Ah, I see. Have you tried using blue loctite on the screw? If not, give it a whirl. FWIW, you should loctite nearly every screw, nut, bolt on these motors or they stand a good chance of shaking themselves loose!

And I am pretty sure the taller pin can be safely ground down to match the others. As long as it is above the clutch pressure plate you should be ok.
Okay I will try Locktite also I'm gonna buy some Locktite bolts and put them on the engine I'm using the lock washers supplied with the kit.. Are those not enough?

Johnc123

Jun 21, 2012
Ohio
Okay so even though I tightened the bolt beside the clutch plate the screw still hits the cover! I think maybe my cover is dented in some so I'm gonna dry hammering it back out but this is super annoying! I just wanna ride and enjoy it not work on it all the time:-||