Skannabelle is dead, enter Skarframe

GoldenMotor.com

SkasualFailure

Jun 9, 2012
Ohio
Some of you may have seen my intro post, the one with promised pics but I never got around to it. Well if you recall, her name was Skannabelle. The other day I let my cousin who weighs a lot more than me ride her. I tracked his movements through the block by the sound, then i heard SNAP POP BOOM. So I hopped in his Mustang and drove to where it sounded. He was carrying her down the street with what appeared to be a flat tire, no big deal. Put Skannabelle in the back of the Stang and drove back to my house where I got a better look at her. First thing I noticed, the motor chain looked hella loose, then I noticed the bike chain guard had snapped off (odd), looked closer at the rear tire, saw a giant gash in it (more odd). So I looked at the motor. . . noticed it was shifted down (super weird because I had sway bar bushings for a car on the mounts for stability and vibration minimization). So I start to realize this will be a hassle. Then I look at the read end of the motor because the motor refused to shift back to its original position. Then my heart sank, and all my fears came flooding into me as realization hit. She was dead. Her frame had snapped clean. I stood up, yelled at the top of my lungs, threw my wrench and went on a 20ish mile jog for 3.5 hours to mull things over. While I was sulking, my cousin (different from one who was riding) and our fabricator buddy came over. He saw it and said he could probably weld her back together and add in supports. So today he is bringing over his welder and we will see what happens. If it works, she is a new bike and will not be nearly as pretty, hence the name Skarframe. If it doesn't then I have to go garage sale hunting for a new bike. That is my heart wrenching story of the loss of a lovely lady. :-|| .weld

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like time to strip the good parts off, and move on.

You should thank your cousin for finding a major flaw for you. Sooner or later it would have broken with you on it. It could have been even worse later on.

Maybe rethink the motor mounts.

SkasualFailure

Jun 9, 2012
Ohio
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like time to strip the good parts off, and move on.

You should thank your cousin for finding a major flaw for you. Sooner or later it would have broken with you on it. It could have been even worse later on.

Maybe rethink the motor mounts.
Almost all the pieces are new, I was telling him right before he got on that mechanical-wise the only things that arent really new are the chains, and the the throttle. Yea I am thinking that I accidentally crimped the framed by over tightening the motor mounts. I was about to put on new control arm bushings for a car because they would fit perfectly, but it was too late. I know for next time though. Yea if it had been my Skannabelle might have pitched me over the handlebars, the only reason he didn't get thrown was probably because he weighs about 60 pounds more than me.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Watch for police auctions, too. the kind of bikes best for motorizing aren't the most popular kind so you can pick one up cheap. Also watch craigslist, many cheap bikes there, too.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
If you don't mind a used bicycle, I'm sure if you take your time, you'll find a good one for $25 or less. Keep in mind you can buy a good, brand new bicycle at walmart for $100. Don't be afraid to make your own offer. All they can do is say no.

Look at the bright side. Now you get the fun of making a motor bicycle all over again, and you know more than you did last time. :)

SkasualFailure

Jun 9, 2012
Ohio
If you don't mind a used bicycle, I'm sure if you take your time, you'll find a good one for $25 or less. Keep in mind you can buy a good, brand new bicycle at walmart for $100. Don't be afraid to make your own offer. All they can do is say no.

Look at the bright side. Now you get the fun of making a motor bicycle all over again, and you know more than you did last time. :)
I got Skannabelle's frame and everything ('67 Schwinn Classic Cruiser) from a 6'4 black guy at a garage sale, I do not mind used things. I only like that style of bike for motorizing though and I like old things. There are a ton of garage sales around here since it is the summer and I already saw a few good looking bikes for strapping a motor too, but I didn't need them at the time and money is hard for me because I try to pay my own way and places around here are hiring back college kids and 18+. So the cheaper the better, I have already put too much money into the bike as it is with all the busted parts so I am hoping nothing else breaks for a long ass time after this overhaul. But you're right I do know more (I knew nothing last time) so it is easier to make all the repairs and re assemblies. All fun fun, (I do want to make or find a bigger gas tank though, I ride her so much that even at like 100 miles give or take a gallon, a half gallon tank only takes me so far.)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I got Skannabelle's frame and everything ('67 Schwinn Classic Cruiser) from a 6'4 black guy at a garage sale, I do not mind used things. I only like that style of bike for motorizing though and I like old things. There are a ton of garage sales around here since it is the summer and I already saw a few good looking bikes for strapping a motor too, but I didn't need them at the time and money is hard for me because I try to pay my own way and places around here are hiring back college kids and 18+. So the cheaper the better, I have already put too much money into the bike as it is with all the busted parts so I am hoping nothing else breaks for a long ass time after this overhaul. But you're right I do know more (I knew nothing last time) so it is easier to make all the repairs and re assemblies. All fun fun, (I do want to make or find a bigger gas tank though, I ride her so much that even at like 100 miles give or take a gallon, a half gallon tank only takes me so far.)
It's easy to figure out the right amount of oil for your tank, and then you can carry a small container of oil, and fill up at a gas station.

SkasualFailure

Jun 9, 2012
Ohio
Yea, I would still like to get a bigger tank anyways, I have already had an incident where I looked away for a split second, and overfilled it, ruined 3 band stickers I had on there.