Anyone ever convert a beach cruiser to multi-speed?

GoldenMotor.com

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Not sure what is the right section for this, or where it is most likely to get noticed by someone who will answer it, so mods feel free to move if necessary. That said, here we go. I plan to convert my Huffy Cranbrook to multi-speed and install a shift kit. The HD shift kit supplies the three-piece crank and cartridge I will need, and sbp also sells bottom bracket adapters. I would just like to know if anyone here has ever gone a similar route, and any potential problems or difficulties to be aware of. Thank you.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
It is very doable. You can find the bmx to european {i piece crank to 3 piece crank} kit on ebay or at your local bike shop. You can also find derailleurs that mount to your rear axle. You will need a shifter (best to buy the derailleur and shifter together to be sure they are compatible) and 5 or 6 speed rear wheel.
To simplify things, I would buy an old derailleur bike from craigslist or a yard sale and transfer the parts to your cruiser. You can find used, working derailleur bikes for 30 or 40 bucks and you will know all the parts are compatible with each other.

Last edited:

evil510

Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Hey there bigbutterbean,

I went a similar route with my current project, though on an old school schwinn cruiser frame. I came across a few obstacles, but, think you won't encounter as many. For mine, first off the older schwinn's have an oddball diameter seat post. I couldn't find one locally, I so made one of my own. I wanted to upgrade to the modern style bottom bracket with sealed bearings, so I ditched the one piece cranks and welded in the bottom bracket off of an old mountain bike. You can get easily get the adapter to convert, but I like to weld and had an old bike at hand for parts. The sealed cartridges get my vote. Another issue you may come across... if you have a coaster brake, you will have to convert to a handbrake. For me, minimally, I wanted V-brakes. I had to weld on brackets in order to do so. Also, lastly not least, unless your rear wheel shifts gears internally, you will have to think about how you will mount the rear derailleur. My old frame had no provisions to mount one. There are bolt on versions out there that attach to the axle itself, but I opted to weld on a tab and tapped it with threads. Going this route will allow me to upgrade at will should I choose to go with more gears in the future. Hope this helps.....

~ evil ~

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
sick bike parts sells bottom bracket adapters, and the hd shift kit includes the three piece crank and cartridge. I have a shimano tourney derailleur that will bolt on, and I also have a grip-shifter. I am already accustomed to using a handbrake, albeit a caliper brake that doesnt have all that much stopping power. I will be ordering a 24" drum brake front wheel from husky cycles. The only other thing I will need is a rear wheel with a cassette, and I am not sure what I want for that yet. Hoping to fit a 7-speed on it. So, it sounds like by the time I am done, I should have all the parts I need, and it doesnt sound like I should encounter any major difficulties. Thank you for the helpful answers, guys.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I'm not quite that far on my way just yet, lol. I dont exactly have the fundage right now to do anything with my bike. I do, however, have pretty much every detail of this build down to a "T". I will be installing a springer front end. If the chrome cleans up rea good, Im not going to paint the fork. I am going to paint the rest of the bike satin black. My 2 gal. gas tank is already black, so that's going to stay the way it is. I am getting an extended muffler from lynn at custom motored bicycles. The muffler is chrome, so that will be staying chrome. The handlebars will most likely get painted black, since they are a little rusted. So I will strip the bike down to the bare frame before the conversion, paint the parts I want to paint, then convert it and install the shift kit. The engine will not be painted. I will be installing 24" wheels, mostly because I already have a 24"wheel with a cassette that just needs a new axel and bearings, and also a 24" front wheel with drum brake is cheaper than a 26". I am going to put the fattest black tires I can get on these wheels. I have even decided what to rename the bike when it is finished. Currently, the bike is called Something Wicked. When it is "reborn", I shall call it, "The Black Bomber".