Hig Performance 7speed Pantera shifter

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't make a habit of posting my builds in the Main but I am particularly impressed with how this build came out so I simply had to share ;-}

It's a pretty cool story actually, well for me anyway.

A guy in the Army stationed in Germany and was about to retire on disability and even though he has built a couple to ride there he wanted me to build him a performance shifter and then ship it to Virgina when got state side.

He had the bike and some of the performance parts shipped direct to me along with with a prepaid bicycle shipping box.

And talk about cable management...
There are 7 cables going to the handlebars and this is what he sees from the seat riding ;-}

It's not too shabby from the front either.

Here's a better look and how I managed to get a 3-point SBP X-chamber mount from the back.

She sports a 66cc Skyhawk with an Iridium plug and my custom complete re-wire of the electrical system with Keylock ignition.
A Delorto carb and yes, they rock but IMO not that much more than a well tuned CNS2 kit carb can for $100+ more but I like it.
SBP JS kit and front motor mount.
SBP X-chamber with a 3-point custom mount.
Nice HD springer front shock with a C brake, V on the back, and both going to a SBP 'Teeter Totter' dual pull brake lever on the right.
Speedo and a really cool adjustable 2 shaft with foot kick stand.

All in all a kick butt bike I am proud to put my name on ;-}

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Looks great man. Gotta love using every bell and whistle :) Love the 3-point mount too.

Have you thought about a braided wrap, like what's used in computer cases? There should be some weather proof stuff out there, eh?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Looks great man. Gotta love using every bell and whistle :) Love the 3-point mount too.
Thanks, I am just putting the 1200 Lumen LiThium powered CREE L6 light and back rack, then we'll how it goes in this spiffy pre-paid 'Bicycle Shipping Box'.
I hope it goes in and arrives well,
Have you thought about a braided wrap, like what's used in computer cases? There should be some weather proof stuff out there, eh?
That plastic corrugated stuff with a slit down it?
For what purpose, the cables?
My friend uses that for his CDI wires and cables, it just makes them look bigger and and stand out to me but we all have own preferences and the best part is, we can make them happen ;-}

Edit: Update, this bike won't won't fit in the AirCaddy.com 'Bicycle Shipping Box' without taking off both wheels and fenders, rack, seat, gas tanks and the handlebars.
Alternate transportation would be best I think.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
For wrap, I was thinking like the braided stuff yank found like These, or These are split even. At one point Aleman used braided stainless on his OCD too. Just a thought :)

That sucks she won't fit in the box. Do you think your vet would be comfortable putting on fenders and tires? With the shift-kit its just like any other bicycle. You're great at giving detailed instructions, should print some up for him with pics, eh? :p To keep the Pre-paid box from going to waste anyway.

gl.

Last edited:

Juhstun

May 17, 2012
Arizona
I don't make a habit of posting my builds in the Main but I am particularly impressed with how this build came out so I simply had to share ;-}

It's a pretty cool story actually, well for me anyway.

A guy in the Army stationed in Germany and was about to retire on disability and even though he has built a couple to ride there he wanted me to build him a performance shifter and then ship it to Virgina when got state side.

He had the bike and some of the performance parts shipped direct to me along with with a prepaid bicycle shipping box.

And talk about cable management...
There are 7 cables going to the handlebars and this is what he sees from the seat riding ;-}

It's not too shabby from the front either.

Here's a better look and how I managed to get a 3-point SBP X-chamber mount from the back.

She sports a 66cc Skyhawk with an Iridium plug and my custom complete re-wire of the electrical system with Keylock ignition.
A Delorto carb and yes, they rock but IMO not that much more than a well tuned CNS2 kit carb can for $100+ more but I like it.
SBP JS kit and front motor mount.
SBP X-chamber with a 3-point custom mount.
Nice HD springer front shock with a C brake, V on the back, and both going to a SBP 'Teeter Totter' dual pull brake lever on the right.
Speedo and a really cool adjustable 2 shaft with foot kick stand.

All in all a kick butt bike I am proud to put my name on ;-}
do you live in arizona? cause i seen this picture mb for sale on craigslist and was thinking about getting it lol

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Awwww, I got ya, neat looking stuff.

I am still trying to work out a responsible way to get this bike from Phoenix, AZ 85021 to Smithfield, VA 23430 intact as is.

In the mean time the shops bike bay belongs to Big Red.
I am building this 4-stroke 3-speed shifter as if it were my next personal ride and for the most part it will be until someone with ample cash wants it ;-}

Just a couple of sneak peek pics...

I don't want to tarnish this topics bike purpose however so enough about Big Red in this, besides I have the 'build in progress' info here http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=407

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Re: High Performance 7speed Pantera shifter

do you live in arizona? cause i seen this picture mb for sale on craigslist and was thinking about getting it lol
Yes Juhstun, I am in Phoenix and this bike is sold, actually it was pre-sold I just like put a craigs list ad up when I finish a build ;-}

It was actually ordered by a serviceman stationed in Germany that was retiring on disability and coming home.
He's back and lives in Virginia.

He sent a prepaid shipping box called an aircaddy.com to put it in.
It is a wedged shaped box to ship a 10 speed with those curl-down thin handlebars.

Looked easy, just pull off the front tire and bolt the fork to the metal plate, tie the wheel to the side of the box and your done.

Well, this ain't no little wimpy 10-speed.

Both wheels and fenders and the handlebars had to come off but I fit it in.

There was more arranging and packing after that pic but she's all buttoned up with a FedEx tag on it waiting for them to come and pick it up today ;-}

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ya killer, drained the gas from the tank and Delorto carb before I put it upside down 2 days prior and let it air dry ;-}
Wow that thing is really nice, where did the exhaust come (from)?
That is a SickBikeParts.com X-Chamber pipe, I just had to re-plumb the tubing at the motor to fit right so I had a 3 point mount and it didn't burn ya is all.

I don't know if it's funny or sad but I had a guy contact me about building him the same Pantera shifter and ship it to Florida.

After a lot of wasted time with e-mail his budget is $400-$500.
Ya, I'll jump right on that for ya, Pffttt, my lowest priced nice direct drive is $550 pick-up at the shop.

I charge more than everyone else and I take longer than everyone else to build a bike even with help, which I have a enough of now thankfully.

It irritates a couple of local local builders that slap a BoyGoFast motor on an $87 Huffy bike for that price range because I make a point on my web site of how important quality parts to start with makes all the difference in the world, and when it comes to safety and reliability, the people looking for that come to me.

I just 'do my thing my way' and set a pretty high bar for myself over a year ago.
Nothing new leaves my shop before I've rode it to my satisfaction and THEN put my sticker on it.

That sounds arrogant doesn't it?
It did to me re-reading it.
The bottom line is my work speaks for itself and if I get no customers so be it.
That hasn't been the case yet, I have builds stacked up to do ;-}

Last edited:

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
I totally understand, let me tell you what ive seen in FL, We have huge flea markets down here. the likes ive never seen back home in St. Louis.. Any way yeah a 89 dollar cranbrook and now you have a bike with an engine on it for 495.00 and they sell a crap load of these.. Ive seen the bikes down there at flea market where the down tube was oversized and they ended up cracking the case, both sides to get engine mounted to bike...it amazed me how most people can look past this..
Anyway I bought my first kit from kings skyhawk gt5 made my own custom mounts and been very happy with that to start with, bought a couple engine kits from craigs list , wont do that again, having some trouble with bike i gave to my son...damn it..
Id love to do some buss with you check out my mounts, for some reason you cant repost same pic here, kinda sucks but http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28271&page=12
Love to hear back from you, I just love these china gals... Steve

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
There's nothing wrong with wanting to build something solid and reliable. "Cheap parts ain't good, and good parts ain't cheap!"(I forget who's sig that's in)

You'd be surprised at the Death Traps some people try to sell. About a month ago an older gentleman brought this by me to get running, he'd bought it on Kijijji for $450:
(Brace yourself)
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/killercanuck77/Misc/SAM_0286.jpg

It's a good thing it never started for him, the throttle slide was in backwards(stuck wot), and there were no brakes working... scary stuff. There was wood in the front mount too... you'd think the guy'd at least trim it! :O

So yea KCV, don't feel bad for wanting to build a solid(and safe) bike. You've got to cover the cost of parts and your time(and exp) for doing it right. Right? :)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I like your mount Steve.

What I like about the SBP front mounts is they are 4 way reversible and come in different sizes with extra mounting stuff like spacers if you need them.
The point being in a production build all I need to order a part I know I can make work is the diameter of the front tube.
You'd be surprised at the Death Traps some people try to sell.
...the throttle slide was in backwards(stuck wot), and there were no brakes working... scary stuff. There was wood in the front mount too... you'd think the guy'd at least trim it! :O
I really had to smile at the wood shim for the motor mount, ya the studs were too long but I guess it didn't cross his mind to use some extra washers between the nuts and mounting plate, like maybe even the needed lock washer after a couple others?

I just sigh but understand all too well what Transpiration Challenged means as I even use that phrase as my sites tag line.

The real facts are as I have seen first hand the last couple of years is ~20% just wanting something fun and cool for whatever reason,
the next ~60% just want something at least somewhat legal, safe and reliable to get to and from work and errands on until they get their car fixed or license back or the like,
and then there is the low ball no money ~20% that will continue to throw low ball money at junk again and again opposed to just paying half all the extra money ends up being for a good new one to start with.

I tried a couple of times to help that lower 20% with their crap build repairs to start with. 'I'll pay you next week, THANKS!' and never heard from them again.
In the grand scheme of things that lost hundred or so is chump change.

I use the the term 'I set the bar high' for myself and just take for granted everyone knows what that means.

It is a term for the bar on a high jump contest from back when in my pre-teen years I could jump my height over a High Jump bar and I was close to the tallest kid in school.
Yes, some track and field ribbons and such but you get the idea what 'setting the bar high' means to me now, if I can't meteorically 'clear the bar' I set for a build, the bike ain't done yet ;-}

Last edited:

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
wood shim? omg I just came back from a nice ride and my plug was golwing red from the outside.... letting it cool before i go play. any ideas?? Thanks much

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I just came back from a nice ride and my plug was golwing red from the outside....
Ya, get a hotter plug, hotter means it dissipates heat better, it is usually the number between about 5 to 8 in the middle, the higher the number the more heat it will dissipate.

If you have a Skyhawk motor drop a NGK BPR7HIX Iridium plug gaped at .032 and hold on, it is the only mod I know of for under $10 you will actually really feel and it won't be glowing after a long ride.

BIG HUGE NOTE!!!!!
This a tad bit longer plug than stock, it will fit any Skyhawk straight or slant head, but for other engines it may be too long,

Last edited:

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
Kewl just got one and nice ngk boot off amazon, im a prime member and love the free 2nd day shipping , since none of parts stores down here have one anyway..:) Ive got to ask what is "wot" ive seen it all over