CNS mounted, what the help!

GoldenMotor.com

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Bike running fine on the stock HT and looking at a CNS carb and intake that don't quite work together.

So I welded a sleeve to the intake so carb would fit better.

Even with the plastic washer that came with carb would not work with this intake. We ordered them from the same company? Do you think they knew?

Sure you can sell the carb and you can sell the intake but will they work together?

Which is the most important thing about them, working together!! (Seinfeld)

Enough of that. I have it mounted now so, this is what is happinin.

Leaving the house the bike ran ok with me putsin around.

When the bike get's hot it ran like poop, falling on it's face.

Limping it home noticed that near the carb the intake was freezing up. Starts to get warm half way and hot at the head. Is that normal? Throttle even with the clutch in bogs bad, and will not come up on rpm at all? What the help.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Should of stayed with the NT. Good luck tuning it in.
Hello Al, sounds like you been there? Not as bad as I thought!!

I adjusted the C clip to it's best setting I could find, one before the bottom. With this setting bike still would not drive its way out of a paper bag. But ran 22mph with nice idle.

First change I cut the intake down a little bringing it out the other side now.

Much better with that change. Now starting to feel some power again.
Again the best setting to the C clip one from the bottom was best. Now running 34mph with some get up and go. Shorter was allot better, let's cut it again!!

The CNS carb is a little bigger than my HT and would not work with stock intake. It hit the clutch lever and did not fit carb. Cutting/welding the $20.00 intake fun!! Back with the shorter intake after dinner.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do a search on the CNS carb in this forum. They are the most hated carb that nearly everyone loves. None of them work right out of the box, all need re-jetting and tuning, and most are worth all the fuss after you get them tuned up just right.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Do a search on the CNS carb in this forum. They are the most hated carb that nearly everyone loves. None of them work right out of the box, all need re-jetting and tuning, and most are worth all the fuss after you get them tuned up just right.
I did that for a while two weeks ago. Took me a few days to get over all the negativity. Now just needed to find out for myself what all the fuss is about.

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Here is how short I made the next intake, looks like stock but not.

I could come down very little more but I like having the clutch room.

After doing the intake and checking carb setting but no jetting.

The best spot for all three intakes was C clip one before bottom? Thats here in Florida.

Three times a charm, bike running better than ever now.

Nice steady 40+mph on the new cats/eye puter 70/kl with some throttle to spare. I like the new carb and intake I made.

You could not use a straight intake and that carb, needs a little up lift. Hope this helps someone besides me!!

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I'm plenty happy with my CNS V2 carb, I am running the short angled intake that came with the kit. The intake is smaller around than the carb neck, but fits the rubber seal perfectly, the plastic spacer holds the carb in place. For intakes, the shorter the better...
I think the red plastic air filter (on V2) was chosen for its low profile, but was a problematic design. The newer CNS has the high flow filter, but it takes up more space and some might have trouble fitting the carb on their bike with this high flow filter. (hence the need for the longer z-tube intake) On my CNS V2 I was able to fit a super low profile high flow air filter that I got from SickBikeParts, it only takes up slightly more space than the stock red plastic filter, and fits nice and snug. Not sure what your options are with the CNS V3 carb. Maybe email the guys at SickBikeParts (and/or other suppliers) and ask them what they have for short intakes and low profile air filters to fit your carb?

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I bought this intake from Piston Bikes. It is the Manic Mechanic 40mm intake for the CNS. I am just learning the motors so running them stock. After I get a good feel for the 48 cc and 66 cc motors and how they perform stock I wil lstart fuggin around with the upgrades and performance enhancements.

Attachments

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
I'm plenty happy with my CNS V2 carb, I am running the short angled intake that came with the kit. The intake is smaller around than the carb neck, but fits the rubber seal perfectly, the plastic spacer holds the carb in place. For intakes, the shorter the better...
I think the red plastic air filter (on V2) was chosen for its low profile, but was a problematic design. The newer CNS has the high flow filter, but it takes up more space and some might have trouble fitting the carb on their bike with this high flow filter. (hence the need for the longer z-tube intake) On my CNS V2 I was able to fit a super low profile high flow air filter that I got from SickBikeParts, it only takes up slightly more space than the stock red plastic filter, and fits nice and snug. Not sure what your options are with the CNS V3 carb. Maybe email the guys at SickBikeParts (and/or other suppliers) and ask them what they have for short intakes and low profile air filters to fit your carb?
Glad your happy with your stuff. So am I, Options. my filter is adjustable in air flow and you can change colors any time, un-like others. Cost $1.00

hwybikedon

Mar 25, 2012
Florida
I bought this intake from Piston Bikes. It is the Manic Mechanic 40mm intake for the CNS. I am just learning the motors so running them stock. After I get a good feel for the 48 cc and 66 cc motors and how they perform stock I wil lstart fuggin around with the upgrades and performance enhancements.
I could not use a straight intake on my motor. No matter how far I screwed down clutch cable holder. If it did work, the clutch arm would pull into the carb or around some how?

Now that I said that, a small pully system would make it real easy to pull the clutch in tho!!
Gettin ready for a ride today should have a few bikes out, hopefully no rain like yesterday. Start fugiting around!!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
HBD, I am curious about your air filter material.
What is it?
Are you getting sufficient flow through it?
I'd really like to know more.
Best
rc

I'll be watching to see what you learn about intake manifold length, too!