4g trans

GoldenMotor.com

Greg Garcia

May 9, 2010
California
I have a new first generation 4G kit which has a tapered crank shaft that has never worked. I replaced the pully bearing 3 times and all 3 failed. Since I bought this kit from Spooky Tooth when Roland owned it I'm pretty much **** out of luck and out some $430.00 for this piece of crap kit. I even wrote Don Grumbee himself and there does not seem to be much any one can do for me. Every one talks to me like maybe I don't know what I'm doing or I'm doing something wrong. I raced motorcycle ,worked at a motorcycle dealer and built a bike that factory KTM asked to borrow a pro to race super moto on . The fact is that Don Grumbee sent 150 replacement one way bearing to Spooky Tooth to try and cover all the problems the first 4G motors had with the motors. Is there any one else out there with the same problem and if so a Law Suit should be brought against these first motor that were inferior!:-||:-||:-||:-||:-||

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
get the ezm mine never worked tryed all i wanted it wasnt meant to be 150 out but with my qmatic never happier . live and learn
My lil brother and I have the same bike frames, both 49cc 4-strokes. He has about the first retail Q-matic sold, and I have about the first shifter 4G built.

No drivetrain is perfect. I'm a fan of the Q-matic, but I don't run one because it's gutless when I need it most. 0-20 in under 5 seconds and full clutch lockup at low speed are important to me and a Q-matic cannot deliver that. My setup has nearly 4x the miles my brother's does, and they've had roughly the same amount of problems overall over the years.

4G needs some work, but it can be near as reliable as a Q-matic and will outperform it when you need it to.

Fugi93

Dec 30, 2011
illinois
My lil brother and I have the same bike frames, both 49cc 4-strokes. He has about the first retail Q-matic sold, and I have about the first shifter 4G built.

No drivetrain is perfect. I'm a fan of the Q-matic, but I don't run one because it's gutless when I need it most. 0-20 in under 5 seconds and full clutch lockup at low speed are important to me and a Q-matic cannot deliver that. My setup has nearly 4x the miles my brother's does, and they've had roughly the same amount of problems overall over the years.

4G needs some work, but it can be near as reliable as a Q-matic and will outperform it when you need it to.
What is the reason the Q-matic will not perform?

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
What is the reason the Q-matic will not perform?
I didn't say it wouldn't perform, what I mean is that the Q-matic is generally gutless at clutch slippage speeds. It's just a little poor at acceleration off the line compared to other solutions. Haven't you tried to take off uphill without pedaling on your Q-matic yet? Of course it's unfair to judge a Q-matic based solely on that, but people will, and they have. A Q-matic is made to cruise at speed all day trouble-free and it's perhaps the best at that. But if you're in stop-and-go situations often, or need to cruise at low speeds, climb hills, a Q-matic is really second-class to a 4G.

Generally speaking, when a Q-matic's clutch is slipping, a 4G's is not. That's both good and bad. A Q-matic is much smoother than any 4G, but a 4G transfers power much more immediately. When you have a shifter 4G, you get that extra acceleration over a wider range of speeds. Now, one might say that's unfair to compare, being that a Q-matic is a single-speed system. However, parts to build a shifter 4G are nearly $50 less than a Q-matic kit. That $50 goes to fixing the weak clutch drum and new clutch springs, call it equal. But the two systems offer a very different experience.

Like I said, none of these fracking things is perfect, tho! Between the two, one just has to pick the set of compromises they're most willing to live with, or just get em both lol

ghost_rider

Feb 7, 2012
AR
Is the 4g's performance because the shift kit? I just ordered a 4g and am now curious about the shifter. what should I expect w/out the shifter. any help would be appreciated.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
The 4G is the way it is because the clutch fully locks nearly immediately off idle. Power transfer upon acceleration is abrupt.
It's not the smoothest system, but it's perhaps the best accelerating gearbox for the GXH50 or Huasheng.

A shift kit merely gives you multiple ratios to further utilize that acceleration.

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Hello Greg,

It seems you are referring to the one-way bearing in your driven pulley. The original kits had one way bearings with 7 sprags inside them and black shields. The newer bearing, what grubee refers to as their 'NOW' (new one way) bearing, has 28 sprags and a metal shield. Both have issues. Some people convert to a solid pulley and add a freewheel mechanism on the rear with an HD wheel kit. Some just weld the bearing. Here are a couple links with information regarding the one-way bearings:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35414

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=33264