29 inch onyx build

GoldenMotor.com

M&M REBEL BIKES

Feb 2, 2012
Fair Oaks, CA
Hi Board

Here is a build I finished for a customer of mine. This bike was a challenge at every step of the build. The only thing I had to replace was the handle bars. The bike looks really cool, but it's a dog with the sprocket on this big rim. The Customer wouldn't have it any other way. Here's a few pictures of the bike.

Rebel

Attachments

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Nice build!

It's those taller 29" tires; they raise the effective gear ratio, so low end REALLY suffers. I had that same problem when I replaced my 26 x 1.95" tires with 26 x 2.35 tires. I had to install a smaller engine sprocket.:-||

To resolve the higher ratio, install a smaller engine sprocket or large wheel sprocket.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I'm using the same bike, EZM and a 68T rear sprocket with a sportscarpat adapter. All in all it'll haul some groceries! Needs a front brake too, stock brake is substandard.

Mac

Onyx_Projekt

Feb 29, 2012
Lady Lake, Florida - USA
Can you put disc brakes on this bike? In order to keep the b.m.f.'in original rims on it? I bought this and want to make it my first project.
Anyone have the exact build/parts list for me so I know what to order?
I don't have the funds for trial-and-error...

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My customer called me Sunday. His bike was stolen at walmart. I told him not to leave it unattended.

Rebel
OMG!

His bike was stolen less than 2 days after you started this thread!!:-||

He shoulda used a strong safety chain.

Last edited:

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Hey guys,

I am building one as well and the tubing for the bars is too large of diameter to accept the throttle. It is the same tubing size as the handlebar clamp on a mountain bike all the way throughout the bar. They might be coming with different parts? Also, it is a tight fit and the standard motor mount plate has to be modified slightly to get everything to work out. Even with the motor mount ground out to help the front mount squeeze in, the motor is still at a pretty radical angle:

Attachments

rollen29s

May 30, 2012
Escondido
I just got done putting my 4stroke china girl on my onyx 29 inch cruzer. I still have some cosmetics to deal with and a few small issues. So I was going to post some pic but can't seem to finger it out. I am posting from my cell I don't know if that's why. If you wana help me out I can show some pic

rollen29s

May 30, 2012
Escondido
I just got done putting my 4stroke china girl on my onyx 29 inch cruzer. I still have some cosmetics to deal with and a few small issues. So I was going to post some pic but can't seem to finger it out. I am posting from my cell I don't know if that's why. If you wana help me out I can show some pic

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
Not sure how to post pics with a cell Rollen29s, I do it straight from a file on my comp.

While the bike feels slightly sluggish accelerating when compared to a 26", it fits my 6'2 height a lot better than the standard cranny or other wally world bikes. It also rides a bit smoother. Originally, we had a 80T 4G pulley with the kit included 48T sprocket. Because of the 29" tires, the gearing seemed a little too tall. After switching the pulley to a 100T, the gearing feels about perfect for all around use. The frame also "appears" to be quite beefy. One negative about the frame is that it doesn't have any mounts for a rear brake, so you will have to get creative if you want any real stopping power for rear. It comes standard with a coaster brake which does almost nothing.

steveonbroadway

Apr 10, 2012
Holiday, FL
where did you get that gear how much was it, they sell a crome one with v brakes wich i gave to my son, but he is 220 and not good with the clutch yet, so he took out the clutch so I must change gearing too....

BE-tech

Sep 14, 2011
Bozeman
I just happened to have a 100T pulley and belt laying. You might be able to pick one up from a vendor. We are currently out of stock and are expecting 80, 90, and 100T solid pulleys in September. If you can't source a 100T pulley, a 56T sprocket should help out a bit.