Molotov Reloaded WIP

GoldenMotor.com

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
below is a fuzzy, sub-megapixel shot of a possible configuration of the Morini Molotov. yes, that's a different frame, but there's still plenty of patina on this one :)

nothing is final and progress is slow. apologies for the low quality photo.

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
OMG!! LOL!!!
Do you live in the Arctic Circle by any chance???? Ride in nomex fire suit?????? Cold natured??? What's up?

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Uncle, If you put a 1/2 inch extension into a vise, you can put the exhaust port side into the 1/2 extension and bend your pipe down a little. It won't crack.
Or you could lower your rear mount and raise your front one a tad.
Overall I love what I see and can't wait to see it run!
For some strange reason or another...It kinda reminds me of a Ford Pinto with a 302!

Last edited:

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Easy, i had to hang the engine high so the pedals would clear. this is just a mock-up, but it's good to know that i can just bend that pipe a little. does the angle of the engine matter much?

the original Molotov frame really is a flimsy piece of crap, but i found this thing with the same size tubing so it will work with the custom mounts Dean made. maybe i'll have something going soon.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Easy, i had to hang the engine high so the pedals would clear. this is just a mock-up, but it's good to know that i can just bend that pipe a little. does the angle of the engine matter much?

the original Molotov frame really is a flimsy piece of crap, but i found this thing with the same size tubing so it will work with the custom mounts Dean made. maybe i'll have something going soon.
I'm so proud of you for changing frames I could just bust! Walter F.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
I'm so proud of you for changing frames I could just bust! Walter F.
dang it, Walter! i was hoping you'd miss my admission that the original Molotov was a little... er, shall we say, insubstantial. the patina wasn't the problem, though. i'm still thinking that with maybe a weld here or a brace there...

anyway, i'll see where Molotov Reloaded takes me. i'm preparing to go out back with my wrenches this afternoon...

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
well, i couldn't get the engine where i needed it to be on this frame. the Morini is wider than the China Girls, and i was busting my ankles when i pedaled even after putting on a small chairing and shorter pedals from a child's bike.

however... from out of the junk pile i found a sturdy little 24 inch frame whose geometry will allow me to mount the engine securely and have plenty of room to sit back and pedal with no threat of hot metal and exhaust to my nether regions. i put the beefy 26 inch fork with cantilever brakes from the Goodwill Jaguar on the front of this frame and i'm looking at a BMX stem and handlebars.

i've gotta get a couple of parts from Pipelyne, and then i'm gonna say that within two weeks i'll be rolling on Molotov Pscyhleworks Bike One!

WIP photos to follow soon.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Hey Uncle, Have you looked into wider crank arms? I thought I saw wider cranks for the 4 stroke bikes back when they were in the frame mounted.

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
thanks, Easy. i was unaware that wider cranks were available. i've now collected several parts bikes, but they all seem to be of a more or less standard crank type - either the European style or the American one piece kind. where could a wider crank be found?

i've got my latest frame choice put together enough to show what it will look like - i'll try to post a photo tomorrow. it's not at all like what i had in mind when i first got the motored bike bug, but it's a good fit and i think it will work well and look pretty good.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
You know Uncle If all else fails, you can do what I did. Shimano make different crank hubs. I got the widest ones on my bike and they work great.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
thanks, Easy. i was unaware that wider cranks were available. i've now collected several parts bikes, but they all seem to be of a more or less standard crank type - either the European style or the American one piece kind. where could a wider crank be found?

i've got my latest frame choice put together enough to show what it will look like - i'll try to post a photo tomorrow. it's not at all like what i had in mind when i first got the motored bike bug, but it's a good fit and i think it will work well and look pretty good.
I don't know how much clearance you need but you might go to livefastmotors.com, look under installation instructions for the pull start kit and they have a diagram showing how to widen cranks with heat and bending them. You'll have to take your crank set to someone because you have to do two things at once and that might be above your skill level, plus you need to get the crank real hot to bend it and I don't want you playing around with fire. Happy Trails Walter F.