Flat tire.. full rebuild

GoldenMotor.com

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
So the other day I went into the garage to ride my mb and I found that the front tire on my cruiser is flat. One thing led to another and now its totally torn down to the frame. Damn tires.

Gonna sand blast the frame and repaint it. Dunno about the color yet. I also want to weld on a tab for the chain tensioner. Always hated the way that thing looked.

Attachments

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
Pulled the rear wheel apart and found something interesting. I have an aluminum spacer for my coaster brake arm. It looks like it wants to fail. Anyone know where i can get one of these made out of steel?

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
thats called the snowball effect , flat tire, loose nut, cleaning carb, adjusting chain, cleaning an re greasing bearings ,adjusting cables an brakes , then POOF its in peices being rebuilt , a very common problem . happens a lot in my garage .

Willyam911

Mar 8, 2009
Houston, Tx
hehe ya i guess thats what happened. today my bud took it to his shop with him. hes in the stone business and they use a sandblaster to texture stone adn whatnot. he started sandblasting the frame (second time hes ever touched the damn sandblaster) and 20 min later he was out of sand. this is what he brought back to me... along with a stack of sandpaper

worst sandblast job ever.... LOL

tomorrow i go to work with sandpaper, or maybe ill go buy a wire brush for my grinder or something

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Oh my .... not quite the worst .....but I have seen better. better check your head tube bearing races an be sure they are not sandblasted where the bearings ride in the races if they are your bearings will fail prematurly.
Gary

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I got a couple suggestions.

1) Go buy like a 1 foot length of copper pipe that will just fit in your head tube (where the fork runs through). Using a hack saw, cut four knotches about 2 inches deep on one end then slightly bend the ends out. Use this, inserted in the head tube to knock those bearing races out so you don't have to tape around them. To put them back in, lay a small block of wood over them and tap the wood with a hammer.

2) Use paint remover and steel wool. The paint should come off really easy and you'll be sanding the frame for the primer at the same time. Use a fairly fine steel wool.